R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default ProLine foams

Not having much luck with ProLine foams. I have 3 sets of new truggy tires with very little use on them and the foams are already mushy soft and inconsistent densities around the tires.

Anyone else having this problem? I cannot continue to throw away brand new tires because the foams don't last.

My other option is to get some acetone and soak them till the glue dissolves and replace the foams with ofna foams.
HookaMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

call proline and send them in and tell them you want new ones. There is no reason that you should have to pay $70+ on a set of tires and have them include a defective set of $15 foams.

I know they had a problem with them at first with the buggy foams, but they got it right the second time.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GenReaper

I heard GRP make good foams, thats what i am trying now, havn`t run the car with the new tyres or foams yet.

I have run mainly Proline tyres and foams and have been unhappy with the Foams, they seem to perish very fast, Most times my foams are wrecked before the tyres wear out. The tyres themself are great but skeptical on the foams.

PS : Buggy foams.
HPI Baja 5B SS
My videos : http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=genreaper
GenReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

this is a typical proline foam problem, i like the losi or grp foams...
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Tech Regular

I run the crimefighters on my truggy and I have recently noticed each tire has a different firmness. I really liked them when they were new.
ILDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

I found the foams in my CF MTR broke down kinda quick as well. I wonder if mabye its all that ribbing in them. When the tires squirm its probably scraping up the foam really bad, and over time it will just break down more and more of the foam. I think if Pro-line made the inside of the tire smooth the foams would last a lot longer. For example the inserts in my Werks Lugz have the same amount of run time on them as my CF's do and the inserts have been a lot more consistent since they were new. The inserts in the Lugz are just open cell foams, but the inside of the tires are completely smooth so there is no abrasion on the foam.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
Tech Elite

the tires have inner ribbing for support. duct tape the outside of the foam before you stick it in the tire. then if you still notice issues with the foam, then contact pro-line directly. help save the rest of us
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:09 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a box full of Pro-line tires with junked foams ! This is rediculous for sure ! Not everyone is sponsored by Pro-Line and gets free tires and wheels!
And personally , I don't really like to break down tires to change out the foams ... But I have too ,this really shouldn't be ,I have Panthers with stock foams that are worn out and still the foams are fine .....
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mremtr View Post
I have a box full of Pro-line tires with junked foams ! This is rediculous for sure ! Not everyone is sponsored by Pro-Line and gets free tires and wheels!
And personally , I don't really like to break down tires to change out the foams ... But I have too ,this really shouldn't be ,I have Panthers with stock foams that are worn out and still the foams are fine .....
I got a free set of Panther tires from a race in Boulder NV. and tried to mount them and they did not fit the Panter wheels good it seemed like the tire was a little to big and had some gaps it seemed like the foams were to thick too
Old 09-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Tech Adept

I was planning on running premounts so using OFNA or GRP foams with Proline tires is not as attractive of an option as just going with GRP or another brand of premounts. I have had this issue with proline buggy tires as well, I have had the foams separate into pieces during a race on a couple occasions.

Any one running GRP zero offset on a CRT?

I'll give Proline a chance to replace the three brand new sets of wheels, foams and tires I have now but if they decide not to work with me on this issue then I will not buy any Proline products from then on.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
the tires have inner ribbing for support. duct tape the outside of the foam before you stick it in the tire. then if you still notice issues with the foam, then contact pro-line directly. help save the rest of us
I agree. Me I usually duct tape the inside portion of the tire (not the foam). Making the tire "belted" It will prevent the tire from ballooning and protects the foam from early damage.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:09 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Well the MTR's are supposed to be designed to prevent ballooning because of the ribs inside.

I prefer premounts so any alteration to the inside of the tire would not be an option. Proline just needs to focus on making foams that last.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir miles View Post
I agree. Me I usually duct tape the inside portion of the tire (not the foam). Making the tire "belted" It will prevent the tire from ballooning and protects the foam from early damage.
Duct tape how much do you use
Old 10-01-2007, 01:46 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just one round is enough, but make sure that the end overlaps the other end at least 1/4 inch.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir miles View Post
Just one round is enough, but make sure that the end overlaps the other end at least 1/4 inch.
Cool i will try rhat thankx Sir