R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   clutch bell resource (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/183245-clutch-bell-resource.html)

Mason 09-26-2007 03:35 PM

clutch bell resource

Okay guys, I've been trying to track down and make magic happen with an ol rc10 gt with an sg shaft. I've tried a few things but to no avail. I have a feeling others have various issues with clutch bells and spurs on all sort of cars so hopefully this thread can be provided with solid info and provide that info to others.

Basically I'm wondering if there is already a list of clutch bells, their manufacturer, what bearing make (sae? vs metric) they require and pitch (std vs metric).

I'm particularly looking for info on duratrax clutchbells for the evader series. info i find on their site says it takes metric bearings, but is 32pitch. Does anyone know for sure if its 32pitch or is it really .8 metric?? I've tried mixing the two but even with the numbers being off .006, it creates a backlash and cause problems when off throttle.

any help is appreciated.

looper 09-26-2007 03:38 PM

i run a 16/66 on my gt using the traxxas flywheel, adapter nut, clutch and clutchbell from the tmaxx 16 is the smallest traxxas makes although racers edge/integy makes em smaller i dont like how their teeth are cut when doing this you will need to use the pullstart motor mount or machine the flywheel to a smaller diameter. i just use the motor mount

Mason 09-26-2007 03:45 PM

looper, i've tried the racers edge aftermarket 16t cb for the traxxas cars, with the traxxas fly wheel, springs n all with a special GT/SG engine mount from innovative r/c. but its metric and it backlashes. i dont know if the RE cb is cut differently from the oem stuff or not. i managed to turn a ASC 64 tooth spur's teeth into something reminiscent of cloud tops.. bent right over.

looper 09-26-2007 03:46 PM

the old tmaxx gear mesh is 32 pitch the new is metric one

and yeah im not a fan of the racers edge ones,, with their half teeth thing going on, what were they thinking?

looper 09-26-2007 03:49 PM

with the traxxas setup io mentioned above this is the result..

Mason 09-26-2007 07:34 PM

cmon, somebody out there must have had some duratrax experience. its okay to admit itt.

rltanner 09-27-2007 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mason (Post 3709946)
cmon, somebody out there must have had some duratrax experience. its okay to admit itt.

I'm useing Duratrax ball bearings in my VTX B1 buggy and have not had a problem i change them out every so often and am useing Ofna clutch bells and they are fine also:tire::tire::tire:

Mason 09-28-2007 04:39 PM

what even sucks worse is i was gonna cut the shaft but the associated cut off nut doesn't even fit over the sg shaft. unless i got the wrong one?? lovin the standards.

mremtr 09-28-2007 05:05 PM

Well now aren't you in a fix LOL , what you need to do is use AE's NTC3 clutch set-up ,it works with the SG shaft, very ajustable too.,only thing is you need to use the clutch bells from it as well, because of the larger diameter.
I too tried all the stuff your attemting about 15 years ago when the first GT'S came out ..... What a pain ,and I gave up, but since then there is a lot more to choose from.

Mason 09-29-2007 07:59 AM

i thought about the ntc3 setup but it doesn't gear low enough. so my last resource is seeing if OS has a different crank that i can drop in or finding a spur and some how magically drilling it correctly.