Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GenReaper

Hellfire
Hyper ST
Losi 8t

In that order.
Hellfires seem to do very well with a good driver.
Ive seen a few Hyper St`s buzzing around, they look like a class car to wheel and are stable and strong.
Losi is a girls car and are weaker but are fast no doubt.
HPI Baja 5B SS
My videos : http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=genreaper
GenReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #32
Tech Champion

1 thing discourage me to buy Losi cars are inches screws. My tools are metric, and I think it's time for Losi cars to follow the crowd ---> go metric.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
1 thing discourage me to buy Losi cars are inches screws. My tools are metric, and I think it's time for Losi cars to follow the crowd ---> go metric.
now thats a great idea...
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

^^^ Doesnt bother me..I enjoy buying quality tools.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:10 AM   #35
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Just wanted to know why the Losi seems fragile? Sorry to get off topic.

I have a great time with the 8-T. The only thing that seems to keep other (local) T's from finishing is batteries or engine tuning troubles. But that's no fault on the truck. Like I said, just wondering what makes them SEEM fragile? Thanx.
Big vibration problem. Thats why your batteries keep failing. Next will be the servos. Don't get me wrong, I think the 8T is the best handling truggy out of the box right now. But you can't win, if you can't finish.
RKwaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Hey, talking about vibration........ I recently notice my servos wiggle a bit when I want to adjust High Speed Needle and Idle Screw. I think metal to metal contact on some parts with a screw driver will cause my servo to wiggle. What cause ? What prevention to minimize that ?

I'm using Futaba HRS 203 receiver..... it's padded by foam to minimize vibration.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
Hey, talking about vibration........ I recently notice my servos wiggle a bit when I want to adjust High Speed Needle and Idle Screw. I think metal to metal contact on some parts with a screw driver will cause my servo to wiggle. What cause ? What prevention to minimize that ?

I'm using Futaba HRS 203 receiver..... it's padded by foam to minimize vibration.
Thats Radio interference.
RKwaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #38
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

well whatever you do dont buy any of the HPI Truggies... the hellfire is a money pit and completely worthless on resale..... the Lightning is very outdated.....

IMHO the Hyper is the best on the list...its tough as nails ( it really is tough as nails, no BS)

But also my advice is to skip over the RTR's and go directly to a kit truggy...like a Hyper ST Pro...GS XUT pro...MBX5T ( Non prospec) .... IMHO the RTR gear included with truggies is almost complete junk, the Losi kit is the best for useable gear, but the rest are utter junk...you will quickly spend the inital cost difference between RTR and pro almost within the first few gallons of running a typical RTR..................anyways my vote is a new or used pro kit...
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #39
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to RACING MASON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson View Post
now thats a great idea...
Jason, nice new banner. So im thinking you got your new motor.
Revo
CEN Matrix TR FRE
RACING MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 AM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
well whatever you do dont buy any of the HPI Truggies... the hellfire is a money pit and completely worthless on resale..... the Lightning is very outdated.....

IMHO the Hyper is the best on the list...its tough as nails ( it really is tough as nails, no BS)

But also my advice is to skip over the RTR's and go directly to a kit truggy...like a Hyper ST Pro...GS XUT pro...MBX5T ( Non prospec) .... IMHO the RTR gear included with truggies is almost complete junk, the Losi kit is the best for useable gear, but the rest are utter junk...you will quickly spend the inital cost difference between RTR and pro almost within the first few gallons of running a typical RTR..................anyways my vote is a new or used pro kit...

yup thats what im going to do. im going for a X1 CRT or a Hyper St Pro. and ill prob. pick up a "Hyper" .21 or .28 engine first. just to get the hang of dismantling the engine and stuff before i get a OZ or a Noava Rossi one. (more of a backyard basher anyways)
and a Futaba 3PM (spek) TX/RX and 1 Futaba S9351 Digital High Torque Servo (steering)
and a Futaba S9350 Servo Digital High-Torque (Gas/Break)

What do you guys think?

btw is there any truth in this
the CRT has a ground clearance of 3.25 inches
http://www.rc411.com/reviews/jamx1crt/specifics.pdf
while the Hyper ST has only 1.5 inces?
http://www.rc411.com/reviews/ofnahypst/specifics.pdf
i know the hyper St is supposed to be lower but thats more than 1/2 more clearance on the CRT. or maybe its just the shock positioning? im want bigger clearance so i wont bottom out with jumps. plan on using 45 - 60 shock oil.
existenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #41
Tech Regular

In some cases, a buggy/truggy will bottom out and it is expected/designed to do so. What you don't want is your shocks to 'bottom out', because it tends to break them.

Don't get hung up on clearance. You should be interested in suspension 'travel', not clearance. This isn't rock crawling, and the back part of the chassis will smack the ground on the big jumps, because doing so dissapates the energy of the impact better (Spreads the load out).

Somebody explain it better to this guy!

You just haven't seen/participated in enough races to know this yet, but it is a non issue. However it is a typical novice question that is valid based upon their limited experience in RC Off-Road racing...

Look at 1:1 off-road racing trucks (Baha or other circuit series). Look at how low their rear ends are to the ground... There's a reason for it.
rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidsquirrel View Post
In some cases, a buggy/truggy will bottom out and it is expected/designed to do so. What you don't want is your shocks to 'bottom out', because it tends to break them.

Don't get hung up on clearance. You should be interested in suspension 'travel', not clearance. This isn't rock crawling, and the back part of the chassis will smack the ground on the big jumps, because doing so dissapates the energy of the impact better (Spreads the load out).

Somebody explain it better to this guy!

You just haven't seen/participated in enough races to know this yet, but it is a non issue. However it is a typical novice question that is valid based upon their limited experience in RC Off-Road racing...

Look at 1:1 off-road racing trucks (Baha or other circuit series). Look at how low their rear ends are to the ground... There's a reason for it.

ok great thanks! i guess i didnt think of it that way. and i guess keeping a real stiff suspension will get you prety lousy traction when you race.
it's just hard for a newbie to hear a "thug" when you land after spendin so much money on it hehe. but i guess thats what the chassis braces are for
Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #43
Tech Champion

Okay hold the line !!!!!

its one thing to run a Hyper engine if its included with an RTR...but definitely dont waste a dime of money on buying a Hyper...these engines are JUNK...the Hyper mach 28 is terrible...hard to tune and gutless......... for this price range buy a SH 28 P6 way before a Hyper........ Or even a Mach 427 will be a much superior enginbe to one of these new Hyper mach's........ I own a Hyper machg 28 and its a total joke of an engine.....seriously dont waste a dime on these pieces of trash..............
Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 AM   #44
Tech Champion

Also I forgot to mention the CRT shocks suck...the clips inside the shocks will always want to pop off....many of my freinds have traded off their CRT's due to the constant battle with shock clips.... If you have the $$$ to upgrade the shocks then its no issue...but the included Jammin shocks will quickly cause you problems......

Honestly the Hyper ST Pro is the machine i would recomend.... that with a motor like a Mach 427 should be a great first truggy...
Old 10-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #45
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Also I forgot to mention the CRT shocks suck...the clips inside the shocks will always want to pop off....many of my freinds have traded off their CRT's due to the constant battle with shock clips.... If you have the $$$ to upgrade the shocks then its no issue...but the included Jammin shocks will quickly cause you problems......

Honestly the Hyper ST Pro is the machine i would recomend.... that with a motor like a Mach 427 should be a great first truggy...
ok great

we dont have dynamite engines here. (at least i havent seen any from our LHS.. 4 of them...) what weh have is NovaRossi, O.S., Go... and i guess the RTR stock engines...

maybe ill just go for the budget novarossi if they have one. the N21B 2001BF

sounds good?