R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (75%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jatoman1992
Default Is AM or FM better?

i was looking around for Radios and recievers and ddn't know if AM or FM is best.im just looking for a cheapish radio system that can get me started in racing. can anyone tell me if this is any good http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk01.html and would this be good with this reciever for it http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wga...pgm?I=FUTL0206 (AM)
jatoman1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

hmm 8 views and still no posts, come on i need to know
Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
r/t
Tech Rookie

Why not try the spread spectrum technology. You dont have to worry about someone having the same frequency as you. Lots of brands out there with this technology. I own a spektrum myself and it works great in my opinion. Havent had a chance to run it in our local track because I just got my first nitro 2 months ago.
r/t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatoman1992 View Post
i was looking around for Radios and recievers and ddn't know if AM or FM is best.im just looking for a cheapish radio system that can get me started in racing. can anyone tell me if this is any good http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk01.html and would this be good with this reciever for it http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wga...pgm?I=FUTL0206 (AM)
FM is far superior to AM
Old 09-24-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to xsxracing

i like fm a lot better
Old 09-25-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you can get an acoms 2.4ghz radio for a fraction of the price of a spectrum or futaba one. in the uk the spectrum is 209, the futaba about 150 and the acoms is 60! a basic wheel AM system is 40.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:27 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatoman1992 View Post
Turn your car radio on to an AM station and drive under a bridge.
You will get interference. And with FM under the same bridge it wont get interference.
Am is good in wide open areas.
Indoors our AM gets glitched and at the out doors track it doesn't.
AM. is not good around power lines either.
As stated above spectrum or speed spectrum from Futaba is better.
The futaba I believe is better for electric.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Generally FM has better signal strength (less susceptible to glitching) than AM. I believe AM has greater range, but we're talking the length of a football field here, by the time you run out of range on an FM radio the truck will still be a speck in the distance.

But like r/t said, before you decide on AM or FM look at a 2.4GHz spread spectrum radio. They are a little more expensive but when you think about how much you'll spend on, say, an FM radio and then the obscene prices they want for extra sets of crystals, it's worth paying more just to get rid of all the hassle that comes with keeping an AM or FM signal clear of interference. And as far as range goes, I've had my truck far enough away from my Futaba 3PM FASST transmitter where range wasn't so much a problem as being able to see the truck was.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
Tech Master

AM is dead because it stunk. FM is dieing because spectrum 2.4G is better. Crystals for AM & FM cost too much and you need a few sets if you go anyplace where alot of people run (like a track). I have 2 spectrum setups now and have never had a radio issue since I got them. No run aways because someone turned on their radio on my freq, no glitches, no walking around to see who is using the channel you have cystals for. You are better off if you save a few more bucks & get a spectrum type system. They all seem to be good.
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it costs more to get a decent FM system and some crystals as getting a basic 2.4ghz system. and there's more channels on 2.4ghz so more people can race at the same time.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

how far is the reception on the spectrum 2.4 GHz radios
Old 09-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

haha i have been using my Airtronic MX-3S 27MHz radio for several years now without a single problem! it might glitch once or twice when there is moving metal-to-metal contact on my buggy (when i put the glow ignitor on, it might twitch the servo once), but other than that i don't see why not use it if it still works! nobody else around where i race uses 27, or even that many people using FM either. no glitching or channel problems, but i will upgrade to SS sooner or later. i know we AM/FM fans are missing out on getting "faster" response from our servos, but most people can not even tell the difference. not trying to put down anything, i'm just saying "Don't fix it if if ain't broke!"