R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default steering servo whats the best on a budget?

My VTX B1 1/8 buggie does not turn the best i've a specktrum 3.0 and want to up grade servos what are the best that i wont have to sale any plasma to get some
Old 09-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

How big is your budget?
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I usually translate budget as "the cheapest thing I can get away with" which in this case, from what I've read, is those ACE servos. Model number 1015???? And I should have tried one of those myself before going whole-hog on an HSR-5955TG
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Last edited by g26er; 05-11-2010 at 11:14 AM.
g26er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Tech Adept

+2 for ACE 1015 but whem your on a real budget. Get a Twoerpro MG995 not an ACE but it wil get U going. Also strong, not as fast but cheap.

mzl Hellsavage
Hellsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Ace DS 1015, budget and performance packaged into one!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You might know this already but keep tabs on your EPA with that radio. I spend six months thinking something was screwed up with the steering in my car before I realized the radio had me jacked up. ALWAYS set the sub-trim and THEN set the EPA. The sub-trim is not independent of other adjustments. So after centering the servo to drive straight you must go back and set the total end point travel. Just letting you know.

I like the Ace servos also. I have 5 total and saving up for more.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo

Yes, Ace is good. But I use Hitec 645 on my buggy.
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:15 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
How big is your budget?
Thankz guys for all your inputs what i mean i don't want to spend $300 on a servo but i do want one that is better then the spek. servos
Old 09-25-2007, 12:18 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
You might know this already but keep tabs on your EPA with that radio. I spend six months thinking something was screwed up with the steering in my car before I realized the radio had me jacked up. ALWAYS set the sub-trim and THEN set the EPA. The sub-trim is not independent of other adjustments. So after centering the servo to drive straight you must go back and set the total end point travel. Just letting you know.

I like the Ace servos also. I have 5 total and saving up for more.
Hey air what do you mean by sub trim and epa is that on the spek. dx 3.0 i guess i should read my manual and find out Is it something that is easy to do
Old 09-25-2007, 12:20 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
I usually translate budget as "the cheapest thing I can get away with" which in this case, from what I've read, is those ACE servos. Model number 1015???? And I should have tried one of those myself before going whole-hog on an HSR-5955TG
Hey K B i'll spend like $60. to $80. on some servos. what are the ACE servos going for?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GenReaper

HoBao H102 servos ($50)

Metal geared, high torque, good speeds. 125oz and fast too
I use two in my car and they work great, steers positive and brakes work awsome. Good value for money IMO, tho some ones sure to diss them.

Better servos are on the cards, but for now these servos are great and have taken big punishment and no failures so far.
HPI Baja 5B SS
My videos : http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=genreaper
GenReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenReaper View Post
HoBao H102 servos ($50)

Metal geared, high torque, good speeds. 125oz and fast too
I use two in my car and they work great, steers positive and brakes work awsome. Good value for money IMO, tho some ones sure to diss them.

Better servos are on the cards, but for now these servos are great and have taken big punishment and no failures so far.
Thankz Gen iI will see about getting some of those thankz agian dude
Old 09-25-2007, 12:36 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltanner View Post
Hey air what do you mean by sub trim and epa is that on the spek. dx 3.0 i guess i should read my manual and find out Is it something that is easy to do
Yeah, it's easy to do but the friggin manual doesnt' tell you. When putting a new servo in your vehicle power up the radio and the servo you're installing. On your radio set the sub-trim to "0" which means the middle. This means the servo is centered. Then install the servo horn. Depending on vehicle and the way the servo is mounted, the servo horn should be close to 90 degrees or straight in line with the servo. Sometimes the horns have to mount one spline off center. No biggie. Since this is a steering servo set the EPA (End Point Adjustment) next. Turn the steering wheel either left or right. Watch for physical contact with suspension, steering rod, chassis, wheels. If something is contacts another piece the EPA needs to be turned down a little. You want to have as much steering throw as possible but don't want pieces to rub/bind. Also eye the servo saver. Make sure it does not open up when turning the wheels left and right while at full turn. When you get on the track the vehicle might pull left or right. Using the sub trim will center the vehicle again, but then you need to adjust the EPA (steering throw) again. Each time the sub trim is adjusted the EPA needs to be set. It became annoying to me and I upgraded my radio.

Hopefully the new DX3R will not be like this and the sub trim can be adjusted independently. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be clear. And like I said, I spent many months not fully understanding my radio cause the manual does not explain this situation. After that I drove a lot better but when I'd make adjustments and hit the track, the sub trim would need adjusted and that meant getting off the stand and checking EPA again. It sucked during a race trying to make small adjustments and then having the steering go whacky. The car would not turn the same left to right. Annoying.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Yeah, it's easy to do but the friggin manual doesnt' tell you. When putting a new servo in your vehicle power up the radio and the servo you're installing. On your radio set the sub-trim to "0" which means the middle. This means the servo is centered. Then install the servo horn. Depending on vehicle and the way the servo is mounted, the servo horn should be close to 90 degrees or straight in line with the servo. Sometimes the horns have to mount one spline off center. No biggie. Since this is a steering servo set the EPA (End Point Adjustment) next. Turn the steering wheel either left or right. Watch for physical contact with suspension, steering rod, chassis, wheels. If something is contacts another piece the EPA needs to be turned down a little. You want to have as much steering throw as possible but don't want pieces to rub/bind. Also eye the servo saver. Make sure it does not open up when turning the wheels left and right while at full turn. When you get on the track the vehicle might pull left or right. Using the sub trim will center the vehicle again, but then you need to adjust the EPA (steering throw) again. Each time the sub trim is adjusted the EPA needs to be set. It became annoying to me and I upgraded my radio.

Hopefully the new DX3R will not be like this and the sub trim can be adjusted independently. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be clear. And like I said, I spent many months not fully understanding my radio cause the manual does not explain this situation. After that I drove a lot better but when I'd make adjustments and hit the track, the sub trim would need adjusted and that meant getting off the stand and checking EPA again. It sucked during a race trying to make small adjustments and then having the steering go whacky. The car would not turn the same left to right. Annoying.
No that is very helpful i printed your quote and im going to do it i'll let you know once again thankz