R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default steering servo whats the best on a budget?

My VTX B1 1/8 buggie does not turn the best i've a specktrum 3.0 and want to up grade servos what are the best that i wont have to sale any plasma to get some
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 779
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc
Default

How big is your budget?
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
K_B
Tech Master
 
K_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 1,434
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

I usually translate budget as "the cheapest thing I can get away with" which in this case, from what I've read, is those ACE servos. Model number 1015???? And I should have tried one of those myself before going whole-hog on an HSR-5955TG
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 295
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

...

Last edited by g26er; 05-11-2010 at 11:14 AM.
g26er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
Tech Adept
 
Hellsavage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 222
Default

+2 for ACE 1015 but whem your on a real budget. Get a Twoerpro MG995 not an ACE but it wil get U going. Also strong, not as fast but cheap.

mzl Hellsavage
Hellsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
sir miles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,476
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Ace DS 1015, budget and performance packaged into one!
__________________
gaining momentum!
sir miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

You might know this already but keep tabs on your EPA with that radio. I spend six months thinking something was screwed up with the steering in my car before I realized the radio had me jacked up. ALWAYS set the sub-trim and THEN set the EPA. The sub-trim is not independent of other adjustments. So after centering the servo to drive straight you must go back and set the total end point travel. Just letting you know.

I like the Ace servos also. I have 5 total and saving up for more.
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
tkhoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere in Penang Island, Malaysia
Posts: 3,495
Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo
Default

Yes, Ace is good. But I use Hitec 645 on my buggy.
__________________
1/8 scale buggy: HB D8, Truggy: 1/12 Jammin CRT.5
Radio: Sanwa M8 power by Sanyo Eneloop, Charger: Hot Power 6016
http://pgrcclub.blogspot.com/
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:15 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
How big is your budget?
Thankz guys for all your inputs what i mean i don't want to spend $300 on a servo but i do want one that is better then the spek. servos
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:18 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
You might know this already but keep tabs on your EPA with that radio. I spend six months thinking something was screwed up with the steering in my car before I realized the radio had me jacked up. ALWAYS set the sub-trim and THEN set the EPA. The sub-trim is not independent of other adjustments. So after centering the servo to drive straight you must go back and set the total end point travel. Just letting you know.

I like the Ace servos also. I have 5 total and saving up for more.
Hey air what do you mean by sub trim and epa is that on the spek. dx 3.0 i guess i should read my manual and find out Is it something that is easy to do
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:20 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
I usually translate budget as "the cheapest thing I can get away with" which in this case, from what I've read, is those ACE servos. Model number 1015???? And I should have tried one of those myself before going whole-hog on an HSR-5955TG
Hey K B i'll spend like $60. to $80. on some servos. what are the ACE servos going for?
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic
 
GenReaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 895
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GenReaper
Default

HoBao H102 servos ($50)

Metal geared, high torque, good speeds. 125oz and fast too
I use two in my car and they work great, steers positive and brakes work awsome. Good value for money IMO, tho some ones sure to diss them.

Better servos are on the cards, but for now these servos are great and have taken big punishment and no failures so far.
__________________
---------------------------------
Trex 700E 12S Scorpion 4035 560kv
Trex 600E
HPI Baja 5B SS
My videos : http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=genreaper
GenReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 AM   #13
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenReaper View Post
HoBao H102 servos ($50)

Metal geared, high torque, good speeds. 125oz and fast too
I use two in my car and they work great, steers positive and brakes work awsome. Good value for money IMO, tho some ones sure to diss them.

Better servos are on the cards, but for now these servos are great and have taken big punishment and no failures so far.
Thankz Gen iI will see about getting some of those thankz agian dude
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:36 AM   #14
Tech Champion
 
air8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutch, KS
Posts: 5,748
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltanner View Post
Hey air what do you mean by sub trim and epa is that on the spek. dx 3.0 i guess i should read my manual and find out Is it something that is easy to do
Yeah, it's easy to do but the friggin manual doesnt' tell you. When putting a new servo in your vehicle power up the radio and the servo you're installing. On your radio set the sub-trim to "0" which means the middle. This means the servo is centered. Then install the servo horn. Depending on vehicle and the way the servo is mounted, the servo horn should be close to 90 degrees or straight in line with the servo. Sometimes the horns have to mount one spline off center. No biggie. Since this is a steering servo set the EPA (End Point Adjustment) next. Turn the steering wheel either left or right. Watch for physical contact with suspension, steering rod, chassis, wheels. If something is contacts another piece the EPA needs to be turned down a little. You want to have as much steering throw as possible but don't want pieces to rub/bind. Also eye the servo saver. Make sure it does not open up when turning the wheels left and right while at full turn. When you get on the track the vehicle might pull left or right. Using the sub trim will center the vehicle again, but then you need to adjust the EPA (steering throw) again. Each time the sub trim is adjusted the EPA needs to be set. It became annoying to me and I upgraded my radio.

Hopefully the new DX3R will not be like this and the sub trim can be adjusted independently. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be clear. And like I said, I spent many months not fully understanding my radio cause the manual does not explain this situation. After that I drove a lot better but when I'd make adjustments and hit the track, the sub trim would need adjusted and that meant getting off the stand and checking EPA again. It sucked during a race trying to make small adjustments and then having the steering go whacky. The car would not turn the same left to right. Annoying.
__________________
--Driver...you are cleared into the track.....Smoke On.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 AM   #15
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Yeah, it's easy to do but the friggin manual doesnt' tell you. When putting a new servo in your vehicle power up the radio and the servo you're installing. On your radio set the sub-trim to "0" which means the middle. This means the servo is centered. Then install the servo horn. Depending on vehicle and the way the servo is mounted, the servo horn should be close to 90 degrees or straight in line with the servo. Sometimes the horns have to mount one spline off center. No biggie. Since this is a steering servo set the EPA (End Point Adjustment) next. Turn the steering wheel either left or right. Watch for physical contact with suspension, steering rod, chassis, wheels. If something is contacts another piece the EPA needs to be turned down a little. You want to have as much steering throw as possible but don't want pieces to rub/bind. Also eye the servo saver. Make sure it does not open up when turning the wheels left and right while at full turn. When you get on the track the vehicle might pull left or right. Using the sub trim will center the vehicle again, but then you need to adjust the EPA (steering throw) again. Each time the sub trim is adjusted the EPA needs to be set. It became annoying to me and I upgraded my radio.

Hopefully the new DX3R will not be like this and the sub trim can be adjusted independently. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be clear. And like I said, I spent many months not fully understanding my radio cause the manual does not explain this situation. After that I drove a lot better but when I'd make adjustments and hit the track, the sub trim would need adjusted and that meant getting off the stand and checking EPA again. It sucked during a race trying to make small adjustments and then having the steering go whacky. The car would not turn the same left to right. Annoying.
No that is very helpful i printed your quote and im going to do it i'll let you know once again thankz
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/10 servo suggestions on a budget? hanzo3 Electric On-Road 7 08-02-2008 08:35 PM
Steering servo and Throttle servo same speed? straightaway Nitro On-Road 4 11-06-2007 07:21 PM
RC18T servo, servo saver, and steering rack Bansheeman R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 07-27-2005 08:27 PM
whats the best servo ....? jiggamacdaddy Electric On-Road 31 08-10-2004 06:43 AM
Budget Priced Micro Servo? Nrctc3 Electric On-Road 5 07-24-2004 11:23 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:59 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net