R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badKarma View Post
so in the 1/10 2WD Nitro truck class, what is competitive? Is the whole field running Associated? what other cars are competitive and have good part support?

that varies region by region.. best advise would be to goto the track and see whats the hot ticket there.. there are a number of brands out there,, i even heard a rumor that there is a track somewhere where hpi stadiums are being run.. but i generally dont listen to rumors

As for making yours stand out from the rest.. thats well done with a good paint job and odd colored wheels..
looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by looper View Post
As for making yours stand out from the rest.. thats well done with a good paint job and odd colored wheels..
As long as it isn't a blue on white McAllister Heavy Metal and RPM Starz wheels. I've already spoken for it

OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to badKarma Send a message via Yahoo to badKarma

nice!! got an videos of that thing? how does it handle? what hop ups you got? and what radio you got running it? i was thinking along the lines of the 3PK with FAAST, i already have a MX3.
badKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Had an MX-3, now running a Futaba 3PM FASST.

RC10GT2 Factory Team
O.S. Engines 12CV, running O'Donnell 20% Race blend
Dynamite header
Optional stiffer clutch springs
Started with a gel-cell equipped Ofna Stainless starter box
RPM Front and Rear control arms
RPM Starz wheels
MIP Shiny T4 CVDs (rear quickchange delete)
Shocks equipped with Parma heavy duty heim ends, lowers suspension travel range and increases ride height
New Era Models blue chromoly rollbar
custom made right side nerf bar
Dynamite external fuel filter
Dynamite air filter (oiled with PJ1 motorcycle filter oil and covered in a Vetrap outer element)
stronger throttle return spring
Ofna aluminum steering servo horn
Team Orion Enduro 1400mAh NiMH receiver pack
Fuel tank lid modified to use a rear "pull"
McAllister Heavy Metal GT body

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ad_chassis.jpg

Considering I haven't really made any effort to put a "race" setup on it, the truck still handles very well. The "suspension lift" made a big difference, the truck can really move over bumpy terrain now. High speed turns are a little spooky but that situation doesn't come up in Gas Truck very often. I'm working at getting this truck to run like a desert prerunner, where I can just send it sailing over bumpy ground at high speed without a lot of chassis movement. I have to say at this point it's about 60% racer and 40% basher, built to drive anywhere but still competitive on the track.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i don't see any reason why you can't race the HPI firestorm, its just a GT2 with more plastic parts and a groovy body (a REALLY groovy body. unless its lime green).
Old 09-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to looper

few shots with different shells

looper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #22
Tech Adept

here are a few shots of my Jato.

http://gregrojna.com/photos/farmers/...2_07__123.html
http://gregrojna.com/photos/farmers/...2_07__199.html
http://gregrojna.com/photos/farmers/...2_07__285.html
http://gregrojna.com/photos/farmers/...2_07__298.html
http://www.gregrojna.com/photos/farm...5_07__267.html

the problems with racing it are the engine is a bit too much for the size of car(i run the 2.5 and it is still too much), the two speed transmission (you have to convert it to single speed, shifting in the corners tends to spin it around), it is heavy, so when it hits the wall something breaks, unless you upgrade the arms. it also does not have the following the other manufacturers have, other racers see my Jato and think it is a basher mobile, till they cannot catch it on the track. it has taken a year of trying this and trying that to make a track worthy truck out of it. of course i learned how to drive too. driving is the biggest part of 2wd i think.
way2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Yeah, that's the big thing about Gas Truck: you learn throttle control whether you want to or not. You have to remember that most of the designs for these trucks come from electric racing, even a budget .12 engine is more than plenty of power. You have to learn to ease up on that trigger sometimes and let the rear tires find something to grab onto before you mash on it again.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to NJA82

The reason no one is advancing the Losi truck is that every reply in this thread so far has been from an AE driver. Didnt Losi just win the recent Pro line Maxx challenge in 1/10 scale gas? Drake won by a fair bit apparently. Cav won 1/8 scale with the RC8 and gave it its first big win in the US after Drake flamed out and DNFed. That was the last big gas race i know of in the US and Losi won 1/10 truck, the truck is very competitive and whoever says Losi have abandoned gas truck are kidding themselves, Gas truck is dying on its own, Losi isnt abandoning it.......
NJA82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Both are great vehicles in RTR form and kit form. I bought the Losi AD2 kit, and loved it, but I like the access to the tranny is better in the GT2. Either way, buy what YOU think you will like better and what you have parts support for. Both are the best of the best racing stadium trucks to date.

Last edited by rezenclowd3; 09-24-2007 at 01:23 PM.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Both are great vehicles in RTR form and kit form. I bought the Losi AD2 kit, and loved it, but I like the access to the tranny better in the GT2. Either way, buy what YOU think you will like better and what you have parts support for. Both are the best of the best racing stadium trucks to date.
I'm going for the GT2
Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #27
Tech Elite

The only reason Gas Truck is so thin is because people seem to have this strange conception that a 2WD smallblock truck is either for newbies or is too difficult (which is something of a contradiction when you think about it). I have seriously had people who've been racing for years come up and tell me they got a gas truck, drove it once, and then got rid of it because they couldn't keep it pointed in a straight line. These are the same people that have all to do to keep an 1/8th Buggy or Truggy upright. Trust me, you can crash a 4x4 bigblock just as well as a Gas Truck, there isn't much difference other than your car costs twice as much as mine and has three times the moving parts.

I keep repeating this over and over again, I'm absolutely shocked by the number of people who walk past my pit on a race day and go "hey, you're running Gas Truck? I used to run those too, they were a blast to drive! I'd get back into it if they had enough of a turnout for them." I seriously hear that a minimum of 3 times at every race I go to. Now if all of those guys actually went and got Gas Trucks and raced, plus me, we'd have a class! I'm not some idiot who thinks the Gas Truck class is alive and well, but I do think that you should race what you enjoy driving. I've ran a 1/8th Buggy and a Gas Truck, and I have more fun in the truck. I'm not going to shelf it because there's no turnout for them.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to badKarma Send a message via Yahoo to badKarma

so i take it Losi is either coming out with a new 1/10 2WD truck or they are just going to concentrate on 1/8 buggy and or monster trucks... why do off road vehicles benefit from rotory carbs vs slide carbs, like on road vehicles?
badKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:12 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Gas Truck is alive and well here in Spokane Washington. We had 15 gas trucks in our last club race and I think there were about 40 at our last two day race.

I bought the 1st batch of XXXNT when they came out over a decade ago and now have 2 AD2 trucks. I have the OS CVR in both of them. The AD2 truck is very good out of the box, but can use a few tweaks.

1. replace the rear ball cups with Dubro super ball ends (they are captured like on 1/8 buggies/truggies.)

2. Use longer screws than it says to do in the instruction manual and back them with a lock nut.

3. Use red lock-tite on the alluminum rear hubs so the screws don't back out.

4. Use 20% fuel to control wheel spin and make the truck easier to drive.

Good luck with your decision. both the AE and Losi are great choices.
kevinmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

only truck to be roar national champion besides a gt is a gt2
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote