R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #16
Tech Regular

I'll say hello when I get down there. I'm not hard to miss, I only have one hand. When you see me, say hello. I'll be looking for racing buddies!!

MBX7r, MBX7R Eco, 22-4 2.0
Dougg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

WOW!! Nice video.... What camcorder are you using?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Also, do you have enough material for a dvd yet? Dont need anything fancy, just vids like the ones youve been posting on a disc.
kamlooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to griz11
Default I have 3 panasonics

The one I use is a Panasonic GS-300 3-ccd camera. The two satellite cameras are Panasonic GS-80 single ccd cameras. At some point I'd like to have all 3-ccd cameras especially for evening and night under the lights shooting. The 3-ccd is much better in low light. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and buying a shoulder held prosumer camera. Again I think I'll go with the Panasonic DVC-60. I'd love to have a Cannon XL-2. Man what a sweet camera. I use a bogen fluid monopod as a base for the GS-300. Mounted to that mono is an articulated arm and a 6 inch monitor with a hoodman glare shield. The 6 inch monitor is much easier for my old eyes to see in the heat of battle I also use a glidecam stabilizer from time to time. The fluid monopod rocks. No more jiggles in the video and you don't have to run the image stabilization so the pans are much better. I started running everything in manual mode a few weeks back so I'm just now getting that all dialed in. I think this set was the 6th time I've used the 3 camera rig so I'm still learning to get everything just right. I haven't tried to make a DVD yet. For one thing you have to licence the music if you are going to sell them and that is expensive. I checked at a few of the stock music places and a 1 hour DVD would cost almost 600 bucks just for the music. The guys doing the World Finals have talked to me about doing one so we'll see. What looks even better on a big hd tv is to take the AVI file that comes out of the editor and dub that back out to the videocam. Then plug that into the TV. Its way better than DVD quality. I thought about putting the AVI's out there so people could make their own DVD's but the files are super huge. For a 5 minute video its over 1.5 Gig. Someone was telling me about some company on the internet that you just send the files too and they make the DVD's and sell them for you. That might be something to look into if it truly exists.

Griz
griz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I can hear the vid but I cant see it?
jpz_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have to ask..... I have the same camcorder gs300 3ccd....... are you using the auto settings... or do you change them? I have been using the auto... but the problem is... I dont tape much.....I let other people tape... but what I have is great.. that camcorder is good.. very good...
http://stevejavorsky.zenfolio.com
More and More its BEARDMORE !!!!!!! (Thanks Todd)
SteveJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:26 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Default I use manual

I like to use manual settings. Especially the focus. The autofocus will try and focus on the track when there are no cars then it will refocus when a car comes into view. Constantly changing so it looks fuzzy. If there are no clouds coming over to change up the lighting I run full manual during the daytime. If the clouds are messing with me I switch over to sports mode but still use manual focus. Night races I usually use the low light with manual focus. The big trick to getting sharp video for the net is to deinterlace the video making it progressive instead of interlaced. The cars move fast enough so there is enough change in position in 1/60 of a second it smears the image. Especially sharp lines. Turns them into a houndstooth looking mess. Check out this screen cap that shows an interlaced frame and the deinterlaced frame.

As you can see its much better after the deinterlacing. I've only been doing this for about a year so I have a lot to learn as well. But its coming together much faster nowadays.

Griz
Old 09-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Default Expert Buggy A-Main

Late in the day and the light has that golden glow. Some excellent racing. A few new video tricks thrown in for good measure.

Embedded
www.promofo-racing.org/RCPS-JCG-Exp-Buggy-A.html

Download
http://www.promofo-racing.org/video/...xp-Buggy-A.wmv

Griz
Canon 7D EF400 EF70-200 EF40 Tamron SP70-300
Old 09-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Default Truggy video coming up

Well I managed to capture all the video for the Arena Truck race today. 3 cameras so it takes some time. I'll get to work editing it tonight or tomorrow. Looks like the members like the other two. Lots of hits Lots of cool races coming up too. Then it will be local races only for a few months while I save up some money to buy a pro camera and another GS-320 so all of them will be 3-ccd so they will work better in low light conditions. Think I'm going to go with the Panasonic DVC-60 shoulder held camera. The monopod is nice but I think having that puppy on my shoulder with a nice big eyepiece will be better.

Griz
Old 09-25-2007, 06:43 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Hey Griz, yea keep up the awesome work. Do you get any footage of the 10th scale trucks? I don't find too many vids of the gas trucks anywhere. I mean, I know they aren't as exciting or whatever, but I still like watching the good guys tear it up.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougg View Post
I allways make the A in buggy, so I feel that I should be ok in Dallas. I didn't get to run state, My fathers funeral was that weekend. We have 3 heats of buggy at every race. I herd that this year is the best it's ever been. Alot of us electric guys got into gas this year. Looking forward to racing year round down there.

easy on the ALWAYS in the A pal!!!!
msconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconcepts View Post
easy on the ALWAYS in the A pal!!!!
Hey don't be hattin Just cuz you pick crappy pit guys, and can't make the A!!! I don't want to hear it. Plus I've only missed one A main, I was leading in the B when I broke. So I missed it once.....

Last edited by Dougg; 09-25-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #28
Tech Regular

I asked the question about what tires at JCG, but I didn't ask about tire ware. How is it?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Default Didn't get any gas truck this time

I got there right as the gas truck guys were getting started. Got a little but I was setting up cameras and such so it wasn't much. The problem I have is with my medical problems I can't film every race in a day. So I always plan on getting the last race then I skip one then film the next one and on and on. I can only stand up for 15-20 minutes without causing problems. At on-road tracks and some off-road tracks I can take my wheelchair then I can film lots more races. Then it comes down to field size. If the field is small you can't get a good video out of it usually. They get too spread out and all you get is single car shots. Gas Truck isn't that popular here although there is usually a pretty good size field at major races. Same for MT's. Everyone is doing the buggy and arena truck thing. I did get the gas trucks at the race I filmed in Houston a while back. The url for that one is

http://www.promofo-racing.org/ROAR-Reg-Gas-Truck.html

Might have to take a little longer to get the Arena Truck vid done. I managed to jam my hip at that race and its giving me fits when I sit at the computer. So it might be a few days longer than expected.

Griz
Old 09-25-2007, 10:02 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Yeah, thanks for the link. Well don't punish yourself to get the vids. it sounds like you have to work pretty hard to do that. You put out some awesome vids though.

The dirt at that indoor track looks weird. Never seen dirt like that before. It looked like the jumps were pre built and then someone sculpted the dirt on. IDK. I've never seen anything like that.

Great work.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote