Community
Wiki Posts
Search

clutch shoe problem need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default clutch shoe problem need help!

I just got a set of dynamite max life clutch shoes and some mugen 1.1 springs. now i got the shoes and springs on easily. but my problem is, i can't get the shoes to set flush on the flywheel. there is like a small gap between the shoes and the flywheel, and no matter what i do i cant get them down. what is going on?
Old 09-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

They're not supposed to sit flush against the flywheel. Actually, you should use very tiny washers on the 3 posts to keep the shoes off of the flywheel.

If not used, when the aluminum shoes round over from wear they will catch on the fly wheel and get stuck thus not engaging properly.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

My max life shoes have a small boss machined on the shoe that acts like the washer Satoch is mentioning. You should be ok. 1.1 springs is asking for a lot of pop.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

i thought they were supposed to look like this when installed..... http://www.rcmonstertruckforum.com/i...ach=3787;image . the gap is like 1-2mm wide.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That gap looks more like .5mm which is good. Good spacing. If you have 3-4 times that much gap then something is not sitting correctly. You don't want much less than what the picture shows.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

yeah, the gap on mine is bigger than that.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

You need to make sure the springs are fully seated on the clutch nut. Sometimes just if you push the shoes on, the springs dont fully seat and will prevent the shoe from going on all the way. Some more info would help, car, flywheel, clutch nut, brands. Is this a combo of different parts, or are they all the same brand.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

going on a thunder tiger st-1, stock flywheel, clutch nut and bell. dynamite max life alm. shoes. oh yea, motor is a werks b3, and im using mugen 1.1 springs
Old 09-20-2007, 04:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Problem is the springs, and the spring slots on the shoes, some shoes have a reverse wrapped spring, this puts the ends at opposite points . The spring is actually holding up the shoe because the tail is on the wrong side ,or the slot in the shoe is opposite the original unit. This is how they keep you from not using oem stuff