R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-15-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Hotbodies Lightning 2 pro evo

Thought I'd start a thread for the pro evo, and see if there are many people running these tough buggies and what their setups are.
BMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Would have thought more people would have picked this buggy up by now
Old 09-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

its a solid car. i have read reviews good and bad on it. most say its heavy and some say its great. it must be at least ok because it made the a main at nationals.noone i heard about says the car breaks they all say its tough.
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Thanks for your input dude, I can honestly say that "yes" it is a tough buggy I don't really think it's heavy but I would be interested in other opinions and setups as this buggy has already won some international races.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking Is it competetive?

Got a Lightning but don't know if it's a Pro Evo b ut it does have all the Purple
Anodized parts. What would be a good motor to put in this vehicle besides the stock one thats in it?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-ROY22 View Post
Got a Lightning but don't know if it's a Pro Evo b ut it does have all the Purple
Anodized parts. What would be a good motor to put in this vehicle besides the stock one thats in it?
the car you would have is the older lightning 2 rr & not the pro evo, the pro evo has many new updates.

as far as engines go well a lot depends on budget, & what you want the engine for? do you race? how large are the tracks you race on?
flysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Going to start doing some local racing and I'm comfortable with $350-$450 per motor. Is this car worth keeping or do I go get something new being that they come out wit a new version every year!
Old 09-21-2007, 05:42 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

hotbodies have only just brought out this car (pro evo) & they have not updated a car for some time.

if you intend on racing i would say go with the new one as it is a much improved car over the previous pro.

nothing really stopping you though on racing the car you have however.

engines that would suit your budget,

os vspec speed
novarossi they do a couple but i would go for the 5 port
the grp line of engines, BOSS or the NINJA

there is more but those are the ones i would recommend.

damn shame AE do not import the LRP z21r spec 2 engine into the states though, maybe now they are doing 1/8th they may do so?
flysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac View Post
Thanks for your input dude, I can honestly say that "yes" it is a tough buggy I don't really think it's heavy but I would be interested in other opinions and setups as this buggy has already won some international races.
i never have picked one up but alot of people just go off and say "if its not a (place a buggy name here) then it isnt good" i dont ever really agree with those people. simple fact that it made a big race final should tell anyone it must be competitive reguardless of who is driving it. this car, cen cars, gs cars and a few others dont get much respect but they are competitive believe it or not. they all might not be on the total edge of technology but they are good enough. i think 90% of it is how comfortable the car is for the driver. what might be horrid for 1 world class driver might be great for the other as they might have different driving styles to take advantage of handleing characteristics
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post
i never have picked one up but alot of people just go off and say "if its not a (place a buggy name here) then it isnt good" i dont ever really agree with those people. simple fact that it made a big race final should tell anyone it must be competitive reguardless of who is driving it. this car, cen cars, gs cars and a few others dont get much respect but they are competitive believe it or not. they all might not be on the total edge of technology but they are good enough. i think 90% of it is how comfortable the car is for the driver. what might be horrid for 1 world class driver might be great for the other as they might have different driving styles to take advantage of handleing characteristics
I agree with you Mugenlife i've got the VTX B1 rtr buggie and im very competitive with it i've changed a few things on it but it is a rtr buggie but i did not want to jump right in and get the top buggie out because i did not know if i was going to do this for a long time but once you get out their. I was hooked everyone at the tracks are so cool they give you a hand if you need it and i think that is awsome. I'm from Lake Havasu and me and my buddie go to a few differant tracks all over AZ, NV, and we are having a blast.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
Tech Regular

I definitely want to thank you guys for all your advise as this wasn't an option (Internet) 15 years ago when I was trying to do this and the only way to be competetive was to go to the track and take your chances. Now I as well as others new or just coming back can be competetive "Right out the Box" and not be easily discouraged and stay in the hobby longer. I am going to do what I can with the one I have and see how it goes from there. I feel a lil lucky because I got the Lightning RTR and an extra rolling chasis less a motor&electronics and 3 mugen MTX3 4wd nitro 1/10 touring cars, 1 with everything except a radio and the others were just kits not to mention over 20 spare parts still in the package for the Lightning all for $400.00!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenlife View Post

Sorry people I started this thread and haven't checked up.
Mugenlife is so right I couldn't have said it better. This buggy is a cheap buggy compared to others but it has recently won international races such as the last Singapore off road race. Travis Amazuca has also joined hotbodies from Losi.
I personaly drive one of these now, and I am very happy, it is bullet proof with a lot of tunning possablities, I want people to come out and say proudly that they own one and post their setups because this is a great buggy, yes it's not cutting edge but it's tried and tested to be reliable.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Just picked up one of these off eBay.. NIB for $300!

Now that Team Novak has an electric conversion for it also! WOOHOO!
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:19 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hara put some kyosho front uprights on his..
and you have some great black anodised
King Headz hop-up parts

Old 03-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Does anyone know what the kit shock oil and diff lube weights are??? I just picked up a new evo and was a little disapointed that it was already put together. Looks great though. Give me some input if you have it. Thanks
Racin 1 is offline   Reply With Quote