R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Fuel Mileage blues?

I've got a problem with only being able to run about 4 min. on a tank of fuel in my 1/8 scale buggie i've got the VTX B1 RTR with the losi 8 motor in it i race the Nitro Pit and ran out of fuel and only ran 5 laps the Pit is a big track yes and i do have a fuel filter on it does that help do i need another one or can i get a bigger fuel tank
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Tech Initiate
 
AZRCaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where Racing Was Fun
Posts: 44
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

The looooooong back straight doesnt help when it comes to fuel, but I'm still getting atleast 7. Check how far your servo is pulling your carb open, Maifield told me to take a few clicks off of the EPA and it would save fuel. I took 10 off and cant tell a differnce with power, I still keep up with everyone on the back straight.

Also throttle control, I've been rolling the trigger alot more and it buys fuel time.
__________________
Team EMB
AZRCaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
RACING MASON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City Az
Posts: 1,395
Send a message via ICQ to RACING MASON
Cool

Try a trailer.
__________________
R.C. SYNDICATE RACING
Lake Havasu City AZ
Slash
Revo
CEN Matrix TR FRE
RACING MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRCaddict View Post
The looooooong back straight doesnt help when it comes to fuel, but I'm still getting atleast 7. Check how far your servo is pulling your carb open, Maifield told me to take a few clicks off of the EPA and it would save fuel. I took 10 off and cant tell a differnce with power, I still keep up with everyone on the back straight.

Also throttle control, I've been rolling the trigger alot more and it buys fuel time.
I will try that this week before we hit the smack down race
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACING MASON View Post
Try a trailer.
Maybe if i put the trailer on it wont roll over as much
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Tech Prophet
 
houston's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: portland OR
Posts: 15,088
Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default

hey bud, you must have a fuel leak or something either that or you are running a .28 engine at about 140 degrees i have only had one engine that would get less than 7 min. and it was the fastest engine i have ever seen in any buggy, truggy or otherwise (a Rick Brake special team engine) and it would get 5min. and 15 seconds , thats it but dam was it fast , seriously , you must have a fuel leak , or your lid on your fuel tank isnt closing or something
later ,
Monty
__________________
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Tech Master
 
RACING MASON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City Az
Posts: 1,395
Send a message via ICQ to RACING MASON
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
hey bud, you must have a fuel leak or something either that or you are running a .28 engine at about 140 degrees i have only had one engine that would get less than 7 min. and it was the fastest engine i have ever seen in any buggy, truggy or otherwise (a Rick Brake special team engine) and it would get 5min. and 15 seconds , thats it but dam was it fast , seriously , you must have a fuel leak , or your lid on your fuel tank isnt closing or something
later ,
Monty
I know its not a fuel leak because when i pit the car it was not wet anywhere. And you know how sticky the fuel is. But we will figure it out next week at the Smack Down.
__________________
R.C. SYNDICATE RACING
Lake Havasu City AZ
Slash
Revo
CEN Matrix TR FRE
RACING MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACING MASON View Post
I know its not a fuel leak because when i pit the car it was not wet anywhere. And you know how sticky the fuel is. But we will figure it out next week at the Smack Down.
Well the first thing i will try is the o ring on the fuel cap and see what that does
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 PM   #9
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the beach australia
Posts: 707
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

i would check the following;
check your clutch bearings & make sure they are free
check your clutch shoes
remove the engine from the car & make sure your car rolls nice & free (no binding)
check your diffs
check your engine bearings
& last but not least have someone assist you with tuning the engine
flysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysti View Post
i would check the following;
check your clutch bearings & make sure they are free
check your clutch shoes
remove the engine from the car & make sure your car rolls nice & free (no binding)
check your diffs
check your engine bearings
& last but not least have someone assist you with tuning the engine
I will check those things but my motor is brand new so i think that is fine, thankz for the tips
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #11
Tech Regular
 
free2day77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 370
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

sounds like you need to lean it out abit.. what temp is the engine running at?
free2day77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mass.
Posts: 3,470
Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Default

Temps, and the fact that it's a .27 engine doesn't help with mileage. Fuel tubing length and exhaust pipes will affect mileage too.

Like one poster said, adjust full throttle a few clicks shy of wide open. You notice the difference.


Lastly, what's your driving style like? Watch the fast guys and do what they do with regards to lines on the track and throttle positions in certain areas.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #13
Tech Master
 
RACING MASON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City Az
Posts: 1,395
Send a message via ICQ to RACING MASON
Cool

Thats what Rob does the whole, becuse he is always behind them.
__________________
R.C. SYNDICATE RACING
Lake Havasu City AZ
Slash
Revo
CEN Matrix TR FRE
RACING MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,481
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

I had a similar issue with my VTX-B1 with a perfectly tuned Ninja B01A. I was not able to finish the qualifier! I did find some leakage from the fuel tank filler cap. After fixing that, it did not get a whole lot better. The solution I found is extending the fuel line a little bit. On the VTX-B1, run the fuel line from the tank exit to the front through a fuel filter. Clip the tube to both of the fuel line clips connected to the tank. Then swoop around and clip the tube to the clip located most towards the inside of the car and run the fuel line around the air filter into the carb. Let me know if you need a picture to see the setup. The fuel milage does depend on the track, but on a tight clay track I can run way over 7 minutes now! On a very fast sand track I can run just over 6 minutes now (where I ran just over 4 minutes before).
ehartman_49348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:10 PM   #15
Tech Elite
 
rltanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Havasu City,AZ
Posts: 2,681
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 View Post
I had a similar issue with my VTX-B1 with a perfectly tuned Ninja B01A. I was not able to finish the qualifier! I did find some leakage from the fuel tank filler cap. After fixing that, it did not get a whole lot better. The solution I found is extending the fuel line a little bit. On the VTX-B1, run the fuel line from the tank exit to the front through a fuel filter. Clip the tube to both of the fuel line clips connected to the tank. Then swoop around and clip the tube to the clip located most towards the inside of the car and run the fuel line around the air filter into the carb. Let me know if you need a picture to see the setup. The fuel milage does depend on the track, but on a tight clay track I can run way over 7 minutes now! On a very fast sand track I can run just over 6 minutes now (where I ran just over 4 minutes before).
I will give that a try that sounds like it might work and if you want send me that pic. Thankz dude.
__________________
Mugen MBX6
Mugen MBX6 Truggy
rltanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BEST FUEL MILEAGE PIPE ???? dead1dave Nitro Off-Road 12 08-25-2008 05:04 AM
1/8th scale Fuel Mileage Thread Scootersisters Nitro Off-Road 8 10-07-2007 06:27 PM
Best fuel mileage .21? 22Racer Electric Off-Road 13 01-29-2007 08:10 PM
Poor fuel mileage Jasonsuper50 Electric Off-Road 17 06-28-2006 07:42 AM
Clutch adjustments for fuel mileage BrainTeased Nitro On-Road 5 02-01-2006 04:02 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:07 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net