R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-13-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Possible engine damage?

I took apart my Ofna .21 delta 8-port. It was abit gummed up but the piston and sleeve looked great (only ran about a gallon through it) but upon further inspection I found damage (metal gouges) at the bottom of the block below where the crank rotates on the connecting rod. So I looked over everything again and found no further damage. The crank rotates fine when assembled. Will this affect the engine? What would cause this? thx
kilrbzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sounds like dirt in the engine. have you oiled your air filter regularly and do you always run with it? if my filter falls of i stop immediatley and stop the engine.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

How much play is there in the lower conrod bushing? It'd be amazing especially after only a gallon but perhaps the bushing's worn out and the bottom of the conrod is starting to tag the crankcase. Are the gouge(s) parallel with the side to side movement of the conrod or just pointing in random directions?
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Clean the engine out thoroughly with Denatured Alcohol and/or Nitro fuel...

Put her back together and crank her up! If she blows, OFNA has a $50 engine rebuild program for those motors.

www.ofna.com

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I forgot to say, engine oil her and spin her up with the plug out a bunch in order to re-lube her internals prior to firing her back up.

FWIW ~ The OFNA guys that perform the engine rebuilds are supposed to be very good. I've heard that the engines customers receive back sometimes perform better than they did when new!
rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can send the engine with money order of $50.00 for the rebuild program for your Force .21, but there's apossibility we cannot rebuild the .21 so in this case we might to exchange it for the Force .26 engine NEW there talking about getting the piston and sleeve for those .21 but nothing has been completely confirmed, is the piston and sleeve is still good then we can save the engine by replacing the rod, but we need to take a look and verify what can be saved.

If you send it make you make a note along with your name and address to send it back to,please no P.O. boxes UPS or FED ex will not deliver.

DJ
Ofna Racing
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies! I also have a Ofna/Picco BP series .21 that has a blown rod due to a runaway. Is this engine a candidate for the rebuild program?
kilrbzz is offline   Reply With Quote