R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

guys....just alittle clarification about the chassis.........the chassis is hand laid sheet by sheet and the pieces are pre-cut and laid in a mold. So it would be hard to change the cutout since it's part of the mold. Replacing the cutout where the aluminum normally goes with a "blank" piece of what ever material is finally decided upon is the only way to. Hope this helps....
peakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

You might try drilling a hole where your droop screws hit and putting a steel plug in there shaped like a top hat. This will give a place for the droop screw to run without scoring the chassis.

I think these guys might be right about the whole controlled wear surface thing. I saw this on my BJ-4. It will wear the corners very harshly and delaminate your edges. I have seen plastic and teflon skid areas built in the nose and the tail as well as the whole sheet that was formed for the bottom of the car.

Very nice looking work.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Actually, in retrospect, you could do away with the need for skid plates alltogether: as per my understanding, the sheets of carbon are pre(plotter?) cut. They could simply cut some Kevlar layers, and lay two of those into the bottom of the mold before laying down the carbon.

Preferentially, the 2 kevlar layers could be a tad larger in trim, and drape over onto the vertical edges of the chassis for better protection of the corners from abraision. I've seen this done on F1 cars before the stepped bottoms were introduced, as certain sections of the underwing were suceptible to smack the asphalt, particularly in the rear diffuder area. If it's good enough for F1, it should be fine for hobby use.
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #49
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Carbon Chassis

Peakman- thanks for trying to clarify the engine cut out. You are rite on point, what most of you don't realize is that this chassis is 95-97% molded, the only things that are post machined are the rear toe plate slot and a clean up cut on all the countersunk holes. Yes the countersinks are molded into the part, but do to having to drill the hole all the way through the part we have to touch them up once the chassis comes out of the mold.

Tex1- we thought about doing that but with the replaceable skid plates that became an issue. So we are going in another direction.

Captain America- The Kevlar layup that you recommended would work, but in all my experience once you wore through the epoxy face of the kevlar now you would have a big harry mess. yes Kevlar is a very abbrassion resistant material it is also difficult to deal with once it starts to fray.

We are trying to make the best part we can and still have it be dependable and maintainable. Even the Aluminum chassis wear out sooner or later, that's why we have designed in the replacable skid plates on the 2nd generation prototypes.

Thank you all very much for the responses, that is why we decided to post pictures so we could get feedback from potential end users.

Thanks again
rb42matrix@gmail.com
Matrix Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #50
Tech Regular

if you infusious the process with epoxy resin or even acrylic modified you will have a much better product weight,strenght and more durable and while your at it try one in kevlar stronger again
Old 09-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

will they be ready by Christmas? I got a few people I could get em for.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:17 PM   #52
Tech Apprentice

Hey yall,
I just want to say that you make an extremely beutiful product, but I do have a question. Why Carbon fiber? What ever happened to Fiberglass? I would think you could produce a chasis cheaper, and stronger with it. Im no expert but the things I have used figerglass with have stood the test of time and came through hell and back so I know its tuff. Then instead of having just one color, you can paint it any color you want. Anyways thats so my question so see yall later.
Scott8ight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #53
Tech Apprentice

Oh yeah I was also wondering one more thing, and this seams like the perfect place to put it, and anyone can answer it. What is the best way to cut Carbon fiber without fraying it and all that, been thinking about trying some CF. Thanks alot.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #54
Tech Master

Red face

Scott -
Fibergless will induce a lot of flex. It is more robust about not failing under flex situations but the handeling would be crazy.

Cut your carbon fiber with a cut off wheel on a Dremel that is the thin sand paper/board type. Don't breath the dust! Go slow and keep the head of your Dremel at full speed. You can finish your edges later. Once you have your edges sanded go through and hit them with a little CA. This will keep it from delaminating.

Hope this helps.
TEX
Old 09-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #55
Tech Apprentice

wow thank you tex that was exactly what I neaded to know, one more quick question though, to make circles and things with it, well shapes could you use one of those drill bit cutters to make round things and shapes, you know the drill bit attachment, or would that work?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:17 PM   #56
Tech Apprentice

Oh crap, I forgot, the drill bit attachment for the dremel tool with the lid over it, supposedly you can cut wood, steel, metal and all sorts of things with it.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #57
Tech Master

For stuff like that I would use the same attachment with a carbide fine tooth cutter. You can always use the drum barrell sanding head as well.
TEX
Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #58
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Carbon Chassis

Pitdog- thanks for the input, there are a few issues with Kevlar though. 1st kevlar is not a very stiff material so a chassis out of kevlar would flex way to much. 2nd kevlar is a great material in the rite applications, but on the bottom of the chassis it would start to ball up and get really harry over time.

trebor- that's the million dollar question. We are still in the very early stages of this project and I can't say at this time when these will be available.

Scott8ight- Thank you for the kind words. Fiberglass is not an option. Tex1 answered the other question pretty good, so I'll leave it at that.

Tex1 thanks for the input, and answering scotts questions.

Thanks to all.
rb42matrix@gmail.com
Matrix Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #59
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

Very interesting project, guys! Looks like an excellent idea, and it's being thought out completely.
SkarTisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #60
Tech Apprentice

THanks again tex, and not a problem matrix, you look like you make an excelent project and I have no problem giving comments to that! When it comes out, I am looking forward to owning one! Besides that it speaks volumes when a company is wiling to get the end user involved like you guys do! I didnt know of your company before, but I trust it because of the level of input you have with me and others on here!
Scott