R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-16-2007, 02:40 AM   #61
Tech Adept

Questions?? nova / picco

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspower View Post
That is Wrong I hate to say it. The threads on the plugs are identical in the pitch and diameter the difference is where the plug taper is. The actual taper on a Nova plug is shallower then the Picco. So I have no idea who you spoke with, but I will tell you that if you run the Nova plug in the Picco engine that it will indeed tighten up and it will indeed run but there will be no way that the plug will seal properly or for that matter the way it was designed to into the head. And so you know that this is the truth, I import the IDM engine line which has a Picco base and before this I was a distributor for the Nova line so the two plugs are not the same will not fit the same or work the same. I would not thread the plug into the head it will damage the taper and therefore not seal right and cause a air leak and you will chase the needle from it like you would chase a dog around the park. So the lesson here is DO NOT use a Nova plug inside a Picco engine.

When you say "Nova" plug, you mean Nova, not Novarossi, right?? 'Cause I'm using Novarossi and Picco plugs in my Pico P7 Evo2 and they both work fine. BTW, I'm using the regular header, not the turbo.
TEAM www.fisio-sport.com
(Valencia, Spain)
DR ZAIRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 AM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes Novarossi. and turbo is referred to as the type of glow plug. Not the header. All the standard style glow plugs interchange. And as I stated they will run but they will not seat right. If you have used both then you will find that the PIcco style glow plug in the turbo form will not reach down all the to the bottom of the head flush with the combustion chamber. there will be a small gap. Again if you are using a standard they are the same size.
xspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:47 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

up and running man!yippee! heat gun makes a difference! and for $35 bucks its well worth the trauma edured trying to get the thing started cold???!!!thanks for your advise and Dr Zairus that is a crack up photo planet of the apes, I remember watching that growing up in the 70s.
cheers!!
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:53 AM   #64
Tech Elite

How about an odonnell 99???if no whats a good plug 80% humidity give or take a few degrees air temp.
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR ZAIRUS View Post
When you say "Nova" plug, you mean Nova, not Novarossi, right?? 'Cause I'm using Novarossi and Picco plugs in my Pico P7 Evo2 and they both work fine. BTW, I'm using the regular header, not the turbo.
Quote:
That is Wrong I hate to say it. The threads on the plugs are identical in the pitch and diameter the difference is where the plug taper is. The actual taper on a Nova plug is shallower then the Picco. So I have no idea who you spoke with, but I will tell you that if you run the Nova plug in the Picco engine that it will indeed tighten up and it will indeed run but there will be no way that the plug will seal properly or for that matter the way it was designed to into the head. And so you know that this is the truth, I import the IDM engine line which has a Picco base and before this I was a distributor for the Nova line so the two plugs are not the same will not fit the same or work the same. I would not thread the plug into the head it will damage the taper and therefore not seal right and cause a air leak and you will chase the needle from it like you would chase a dog around the park. So the lesson here is DO NOT use a Nova plug inside a Picco engine.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #65
Tech Regular

I have no experience with the Odonnell plugs I know that they will fit into the OS engines and they also share the same turbo taper as the Picco. So try and see. The worst that would happen is that it does not run so well. Then you know and you can let me know!!!! And glad it helped out with the heat gun. Take care
Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
How about an odonnell 99???if no whats a good plug 80% humidity give or take a few degrees air temp.
thanks
I have no experience with the Odonnell plugs I know that they will fit into the OS engines and they also share the same turbo taper as the Picco. I am assuming that we are still talking about the turbo subject? If so then try and see. The worst that would happen is that it does not run so well. Then you know and you can let me know!!!! And glad it helped out with the heat gun. Take care
Old 10-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #67
Tech Elite

just one question i have installed a kfactory 3 shoe teflon clutch system on that motor at the moment is it normal to have a small bit of play back and forth on the clutch bell??
thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #68
Tech Adept

Default p7

Quote:
Yes Novarossi. and turbo is referred to as the type of glow plug. Not the header. All the standard style glow plugs interchange. And as I stated they will run but they will not seat right. If you have used both then you will find that the PIcco style glow plug in the turbo form will not reach down all the to the bottom of the head flush with the combustion chamber. there will be a small gap. Again if you are using a standard they are the same size.
Of course: turbo header=turbo plug. Regular header=regular plug. I just wanted to make sure you were talking about regular plugs,as I thougt they were interchangeable. Thanks for confirming!!

Yep! Dr Zairus is really cute!!! heheheh
TEAM www.fisio-sport.com
(Valencia, Spain)
Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #69
Tech Adept

Default kf

Quote:
just one question i have installed a kfactory 3 shoe teflon clutch system on that motor at the moment is it normal to have a small bit of play back and forth on the clutch bell??
thanks
I always leave about 2/10 of a mm of play.....
TEAM www.fisio-sport.com
(Valencia, Spain)
Old 10-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #70
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Sorry for the delay the response. You are giving me the thickness of the 3 shims in inch right. So if I convert that to the metric system it would be around for each .1mm head shim that would equal around .004 thousandths. So you are reading .0020 thousandths? This is where I am lost with the measure. with the measure the 1st position is 10ths , 2nd is 100th's, and the 3rd is thousandths, 4th would be 10 thousandth. Please clarify this for me as I am not sure what you are measuring if you are measuring correctly and we convert this right then the measure would be .0580mm. That is less then one .1mm shim. by half. I think that you have two .2mm and one .1mm shim under the deck. If you are running 30% you could actually take a shim out. You could loose the .1mm to start. They have a high head clearance to start. Pay attention to the engine temp as it will tell a lot and also make sure you do not run to hot a plug this will cause you to detonate. I would really like to hear what you have under the head for the squish as well as the shim thicknesses in mm. Give me the squish in inch. But the shims I would like to know in metric.

Sorry I get Zero happy giving you the measurment. I know how to measure just not how to proof read what I type. It is .020 which converts as you say. In order to measure squish, what is the prefered method?
Scootersisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #71
Tech Regular

Hey Scooter you have a PM
Old 10-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Hey Thanks for that! there is a little play so i will leave it and see how it goes
cheers
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone know where I can get a header to fit the P7R to run a 086 pipe?
PTP Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #74
Tech Adept

Quote:
Hey Thanks for that! there is a little play so i will leave it and see how it goes cheers
Yep!! Good luck!!
TEAM www.fisio-sport.com
(Valencia, Spain)
Old 10-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #75
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am going to give this motor a try, what is the best pipe for a med size track?
dhickman is offline   Reply With Quote