Wiki Posts
Search

OS xz truggy engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default OS xz truggy engine

Is it any good?? or for the price should i just get a ninja or nova?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mine is running great so far. Only have 7 tanks through it and it still running extremely rich, after about tank 13 i should be ready to race tune. Hasn't died yet, started right away and is running strong. I have no experience with the Ninja or Nova so I couldn't tell you how it compares, but I love mine so far.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Don't be scared. I ran 5 tanks through mine, then race tuned it. I went back an richened it up a little. To much power for a newbie.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I'm interested in one of these engines as well, but what I really want to know other than it has gobs of power, is;

How does it compare to other .28 engines? Better mileage, better power through-out the rev range.

What makes this engine better than any of the current crop of .28s....
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well like I said, to tame it down, I richened it up. To night after work I will set end stops on servos. Seems to have a lot of power from bottom to top. Lot more than the .21 vspec, so it makes traction a new problem for me to deal with. Looks great on straight aways.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm still waiting for the longevity reports before I buy one. OS' history of early bearing failures on the vspec and 3 gallon lifespan of the .30 VG has me a little wary.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

And then there are the OS motors that last 6-7 gallons, I think it's all in the way you take care of your stuff. Keep it clean and not to lean.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

What what I have read, and also experienced with this motor is that it has nice flat torque curve like the V-spec and produces good power all along the rev range. The major difference that I have heard is the other .28's like RB and Nova produce a lot of power like this engine but they are like light switches no a whole lot of power down in the rev range and then wham more than you can handle. I have not driven the RB or Nova .28 but when doing my research heard the light switch comment as a common complaint. The O.S. is not like that. It does put out a ton of power but its controllable as long as you are used to race motor type of power.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im excited to break mine in. Hopefully Ill get her running next weekend. She sure is good looking though. Damn work sux....
Old 09-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

do you need to shim this motor if running 30% it comes with an extra shim in the box.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Tech Adept

No.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This motor is very strong down low and has good top. Other 28's ive experienced did not have the top I was looking for. I got 7 minutes during my race, sounded like the motor was ready to lean out when I came in though so 7 minutes max with a 53 pipe. But it was also not tuned out optimally (temped 200 probably could lean out a little more). It will clear a long double at my local track practically from standstill at the beginning of the double compared to having to build up speed with a 21 which I feel is a plus because if you get into traffic prior to that double you still have the motor to clear it where other have to roll.

Longevity, well I'll get to that later as I run it more.

I'm running it in a Kyosho St-r.