R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to JRRobiso
Exclamation LOSI 8 RTR or KYOSHO INFERNO SPORTS RTR

Need opinion from the gas buggy experts...

Just started doing on-road nitro touring cars for about 6 months now (I'm freaking loving it) and also would like to get into 1/8 nitro buggy but in RTR kit.

I know some of you would say that it's better to build the kit and install the other major components afterwards...I've done that already with my nitro TC and I've been building electric kits since I started the hobby in 2000.

However, I don't want to spend so much money like I did with my current nitro car (I don't put cheap components in my kits). I would like to get into 1/8 nitro buggy for fun @ my LHS's dirt track when I'm not racing nitro on-road.

Need anyone's opinion which would be the better RTR kit mentioned (Losi 8 RTR or Kyosho Inferno Sport RTR). I don't plan to keep the radio gear that will come with the kit and will also have plans of the changing the engine as well when I decide to race it at my local track.

Thanks to anyone's opinions/replies.
TAOB Racing Team (2004) | Team Driver #101
TRF415MSX | TRF415MRE | TRF801X/XT | K V1 RRR Evo WCE | K IGT2 Audi A4 DTM | AE SC10 4X4
AKA | Airtronics M11 | Spektrum Pro | Speed Passion BL | OS Engines | Sidewinder Fuel | Ko Propo/JR HV/Savox Servos | MuchMore Racing | Xenon Racing | Speedmind | Sorex Tires | Twister Tires
JRRobiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I don't qualify as an expert but I do have experience with both of the buggies in question. Hands down, the 8ight is the better of the two. Electronics aside, the engine in the 8ight is actually quite a potent mill. In my experience it holds a tune well and has an abundance of low end grunt while still providing a usable top end. I actually use it in my local club races and it holds its own (which is more than I can say for my driving). The Kyosho motor is not even in the same league and quickly found its way to ebay. Additionally, the 8ight bests the Kyosho in handling, acceleration, braking, durability, track manners, and tunability. The pre-Kanai 7.5 based Kyosho RTR is a design model whose time has come and gone whereas the 8ight design is the same used by Adam Drake to win the 2007 ROAR Nationals. Granted, Adam could probably have won with any buggy manufactured in the past 10 years but he has chosen to pilot the 8ight over all others.

Others may have a different perspective...this one is mine.
rstnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstnboy View Post
I don't qualify as an expert but I do have experience with both of the buggies in question. Hands down, the 8ight is the better of the two. Electronics aside, the engine in the 8ight is actually quite a potent mill. In my experience it holds a tune well and has an abundance of low end grunt while still providing a usable top end. I actually use it in my local club races and it holds its own (which is more than I can say for my driving). The Kyosho motor is not even in the same league and quickly found its way to ebay. Additionally, the 8ight bests the Kyosho in handling, acceleration, braking, durability, track manners, and tunability. The pre-Kanai 7.5 based Kyosho RTR is a design model whose time has come and gone whereas the 8ight design is the same used by Adam Drake to win the 2007 ROAR Nationals. Granted, Adam could probably have won with any buggy manufactured in the past 10 years but he has chosen to pilot the 8ight over all others.

Others may have a different perspective...this one is mine.
Thanks for your input. Will consider your info when deciding which one to get.

Anyone else who wants to share their impressions or want to say anything about/between the two RTR kits?
TRF415MSX | TRF415MRE | TRF801X/XT | K V1 RRR Evo WCE | K IGT2 Audi A4 DTM | AE SC10 4X4
AKA | Airtronics M11 | Spektrum Pro | Speed Passion BL | OS Engines | Sidewinder Fuel | Ko Propo/JR HV/Savox Servos | MuchMore Racing | Xenon Racing | Speedmind | Sorex Tires | Twister Tires
Old 09-08-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

Hands down.....The Losi wins by a long shot. Radio, Engine, handeling, being the closest to race ready and the overall cost of parts. It is not even close.

The Kcar is very dated and the Losi is the current technology and geometry.

Go with the Losi.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1 View Post
Hands down.....The Losi wins by a long shot. Radio, Engine, handeling, being the closest to race ready and the overall cost of parts. It is not even close.

The Kcar is very dated and the Losi is the current technology and geometry.

Go with the Losi.
TEX
Thanks for your input also.

Current census:

Losi 8 RTR = 2
Kyosho Inferno RTR = 0

Anymore from the rest of the 1/8 nitro buggy community?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Another scenario to my quest of which 1/8 buggy to get.

If I were to get the Losi 8 RTR, would buying a used but in excellent condition RTR kit be advisable or worth spending? Or just get the whole thing new?

Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Default ofna hobao hyper 8 ?

Hi, i am also currently considering rc offroad.

there are a lot of rc models in market.
heard a lot about hobao hyper 8 and the price is reasonable too about usd400, any expert opinions ?
vic88my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRobiso View Post
If I were to get the Losi 8 RTR, would buying a used but in excellent condition RTR kit be advisable or worth spending? Or just get the whole thing new?
Buying used is always one of those iffy things and depends on the honesty and good will of the seller and what is meant by common advertising terminology. Phrases like "approximately one gallon through it" can mean so many different things...I know this from experience. I have done very well with most of my used purchases but I have been disappointed a few times as well.

Since your stated intention is to sell the radio gear, the new option might be best. The price differences I have seen between used and new RTRs hasn't been all that much. New Spektrum equipment seems to sell pretty well on the auction block so you can recoup some of your initial expenditure there.

As for the Hyper 8, it is a really good buggy as well. In my experience it isn't as responsive as the 8ight but it is extremely consistent and forgiving and it is built like a tank. Also, replacement parts are extremely easy to find and inexpensive should you ever need them. The Hyper 8.5 is out now and it has a number of hop-ups included already. Initial reviews are extremely positive. Robert Batlle just won the 2007 1/8th Off-Road European Championships with this buggy. Similar to Adam Drake, he is someone who could have probably won with just about anything. This merely illustrates that the Hyper 8.5 is a world-class contender.

As I stated in my first post, I am no expert but I do have some experience. These opinions are just that, opinions of a full grown man who spends his free time playing with toy cars
Old 09-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Wink

Honestly the best buy in RTRs has to be the Sportworks Turmoil Pro. Fantastic motor and radio in a car that is very durable and drivable. It is very cost effective as well.
Give it a look before you spend your money.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Exclamation LOSI 8 RTR BUGGY KIT - The Winner

Okay! I finally decieded to get the RTR Losi 8 buggy over the Kyosho.

I do have another set of questions re the RTR kit. As I stated earlier in my posts that I won't be keeping the Radio gear since I already have a M11 with the Pro Spektrum TX/RX set (which I would need to get another Pro Rx for the kit), What servos would be a good upgrade.

Since the servo horns that came with the kit are for JR/Futaba set (not 100% sure), I would like to upgrade to KO digital servos but will I need to change the servo horns or should I just change to JR/Futaba digital servos instead?

Next question would be the engine. After having broken-in the motor that came with kit, what would be a good upgrade for the engine and pipe? I currently run an OS engine in my nitro touring car coz they're pretty easy to tune and provide good amount of power without spending to much $$$. I don't plan to change the engine right away but for a later project/uprgade.

Lastly, what are the main difference in regards to parts used between the RTR, Kit and Roller versions? Do I also need to get a 7.2V battery stick pack for the handheld starter that comes with the RTR kit?

Thanks to everyone who can answer my questions.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Default Losi 8 vs Hyper 8

Hi,

I am victor here., I am in the process of choosing a good but cost effective car too.
I am a bit puzzled of your mindset.
May I know why you settle for losi 8 but not hyper 8 ?
Kyosho is no way comparable to losi 8 or hyper 8, but, the price is $400 for kyosho, $500 for hyper 8 and a big jump to $650 for
Losi 8. That is a big gap in price. But, the question now is :

The overall performance gap between kyosho and losi 8 is 30%, between hyper 8 and losi 8 is 5%.

It will be a more reasonable decision to settle for hyper 8 than losi 8 unless I am really rich, ( which I am going to order next weekend), So the question, is there significant gap in performance and overall marks between hyper 8 and losi 8 ?

Let's put up 4 most important criteria(for stock models):

1. Top speed mph
2. acceleration
3. maneuverability
4. Quality of parts

Regards,
Victor
Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic88my View Post
Hi,

I am victor here., I am in the process of choosing a good but cost effective car too.
I am a bit puzzled of your mindset.
May I know why you settle for losi 8 but not hyper 8 ?
Kyosho is no way comparable to losi 8 or hyper 8, but, the price is $400 for kyosho, $500 for hyper 8 and a big jump to $650 for
Losi 8. That is a big gap in price. But, the question now is :

The overall performance gap between kyosho and losi 8 is 30%, between hyper 8 and losi 8 is 5%.

It will be a more reasonable decision to settle for hyper 8 than losi 8 unless I am really rich, ( which I am going to order next weekend), So the question, is there significant gap in performance and overall marks between hyper 8 and losi 8 ?

Let's put up 4 most important criteria(for stock models):

1. Top speed mph
2. acceleration
3. maneuverability
4. Quality of parts

Regards,
Victor
The reason why I settled for the LOSI 8 is bcoz I bought it brand new from an eBay seller for $500 (plus shipping for $30). I've been buying RC stuff and other stuff (e.g Sony Viao $1600) from eBay sellers with no problems. So I had to jump on it bcoz other eBay sellers sell it for $650 which is same with hobby shop prices.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Oh I see..., seems like there is some price competition going on, well, that is a very good sign because I always support perfect competition and don't like monopoly. That kills the consumers who are not that rich like me.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRobiso View Post
What servos would be a good upgrade.

Since the servo horns that came with the kit are for JR/Futaba set (not 100% sure), I would like to upgrade to KO digital servos but will I need to change the servo horns or should I just change to JR/Futaba digital servos instead?

After having broken-in the motor that came with kit, what would be a good upgrade for the engine and pipe?

Lastly, what are the main difference in regards to parts used between the RTR, Kit and Roller versions? Do I also need to get a 7.2V battery stick pack for the handheld starter that comes with the RTR kit?
I personally like the Airtronics 358 for steering and the 357 for throttle/brake. That is just my personal preference. My 8ight came with inserts that adapt the different servo brands to the servo horns. I'm not sure if the RTR comes with those as well but I believe it does.

Engine choice for an upgrade depends on your preferences and running conditions. I rather like the Mach 427 but I also like the Mugen Ninja .21. I don't own it but a friend of mine does and it is smooth and powerful. As for the stock motor starter, it does require a 7.2V stick pack. It isn't a high load device so a matched pack is not necessary at all.

From what I have read, the differences between the RTR and kit are that the kit has better:
Shock caps
Shock towers
4 shoe clutch vs. 2 shoe clutch
Milled chassis

There is a rather lengthy thread on this forum dealing with the 8ight. It is a long read but well worth it especially when initially setting up the 8ight. The throttle servo in particular needs to be set up just right for longevity.

Hope this helps and congrats on your decision. Get the throttle set up correctly and you will thoroughly enjoy your new toy.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstnboy View Post
I personally like the Airtronics 358 for steering and the 357 for throttle/brake. That is just my personal preference. My 8ight came with inserts that adapt the different servo brands to the servo horns. I'm not sure if the RTR comes with those as well but I believe it does.

Engine choice for an upgrade depends on your preferences and running conditions. I rather like the Mach 427 but I also like the Mugen Ninja .21. I don't own it but a friend of mine does and it is smooth and powerful. As for the stock motor starter, it does require a 7.2V stick pack. It isn't a high load device so a matched pack is not necessary at all.

From what I have read, the differences between the RTR and kit are that the kit has better:
Shock caps
Shock towers
4 shoe clutch vs. 2 shoe clutch
Milled chassis

There is a rather lengthy thread on this forum dealing with the 8ight. It is a long read but well worth it especially when initially setting up the 8ight. The throttle servo in particular needs to be set up just right for longevity.

Hope this helps and congrats on your decision. Get the throttle set up correctly and you will thoroughly enjoy your new toy.
Thanks for your input. In regards to the servo upgrade question, I was able to buy two 6 mos old JR digital servos (the one's that have the higher model #s & very good specs) for my steering and throttle for $100. A local nitro racer at my LHS was just sponsored by Futaba over the weekend when he attended the 1/8 scale on-road races in Vegas, so he ended up getting new servos.

I do plan to change the top three items you mentioned that comes with the 8 kit/roller versions. The main chassis I might just keep since I think it really doesn't affect the handling of the buggy in a very big way. The RTR engine & pipe I'll use for the time being.

If you have anything else to post, feel free. Any info will be well appreciated. I'll also start going thru the Losi 8 thread as you mentioned.

Thanks again.