R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 09-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #16
Tech Regular

+1 for the Picco EVO 2. Tuneable, run it in Buggy and Truggy, more than enough power anywhere you go, tuneable, oh and did I mention tuneable????

If you go out and get a motor that has different characteristics than your race motor, how are you ever going to be able to race consistently? your whole driving style will be different. Personaly, I run the same motor for practice/club racing as I do for a big event. I don't do this because I can't afford another motor or anything...I do this because I know that when I get done Saturday night at a club race, and I go to a big event the next weekend I know I will be consistent. I don't have to change my thought process on how to drive the car. I know that motor and how it is going to act.

My .02!!!

If you ain't first....your last
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
+1 for the Picco EVO 2. Tuneable, run it in Buggy and Truggy, more than enough power anywhere you go, tuneable, oh and did I mention tuneable????

If you go out and get a motor that has different characteristics than your race motor, how are you ever going to be able to race consistently? your whole driving style will be different. Personaly, I run the same motor for practice/club racing as I do for a big event. I don't do this because I can't afford another motor or anything...I do this because I know that when I get done Saturday night at a club race, and I go to a big event the next weekend I know I will be consistent. I don't have to change my thought process on how to drive the car. I know that motor and how it is going to act.

My .02!!!
Thats good advice.
We tried the Sport Werks.21-C today and it was pretty darn good. Not quite the V-Spec we have been running but it really was a nice running and pretty easy to tune motor. I'm a guppy at 1/8th scale motors but it was temping between 220 and 238 every time we brought it in.
I am now considering the evo-2.? That sounds pretty good.
Do they last very well.?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies!

I've have a couple of the RB Concept S5 and they aren't very powerful...I've played with mine alot with different pipe and clutch set-ups and it lacks power down low. Enough so, when I'm racing its noticeably slower than most anything else out there...

WRT... the V-Spec where can you get a new V-spec for between 225-250???? The best consistent price I find is 265.00...

WRT...the Picco. Had a one, liked it...Its above what I was looking to spend but 227.99 for a P7 might be okay but its getting pretty close to the V-spec in price...

The GO engines and Sportwerks may be something or a couple to try...

Here's what I'm trying to find the equivalent of.... The Dynamite Mach 427. I have a modd'ed one in my truggy as does a couple of my friends, and honestly it gives nothing up to the more expensive .28s. Nothing...Well, maybe longevity. We've found the Machs to last ~4 gallons-ish. And my buddy finished 3rd in the 2007 Colorado State Nitro Championships (Truggy) with it. And we're talking a 150.00 buck motor well with some mods pushes the price right around 200.00 bucks.

But that gives you an idea of what I'm looking for. An inexpensive but capable motor....

Thanks again!
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Give the GO 5 port a try. Amain finally is carrying them again too. I took a gamble as my first GO manufactured motor (the crappy 1st gen CEN Matrix truggy RTR motor) was poorly made and unreliable. Russell wrote many reassuring messages that this line was engines was much better made than their RTR ones that I gave it a shot. Unlike some "other" Taiwanese brands suprisingly it actually has a great, easy to tune carb. Break-in was also easy if you use a heat gun as they're very tight at the beginning. Main thing it gives up to my dearly departed C6BB7T is that the run times are a little lower. I was getting around 8-9 minutes with the RB and the GO gets around 7-8 minutes. Then again it comes with a 8mm restrictor and I haven't gotten around to trying a 7mm restrictor on it that comes standard on the C6BB7T.
All controlled by 3PK/FASST
magbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushyar15 View Post
Thanks for the replies!

I've have a couple of the RB Concept S5 and they aren't very powerful...I've played with mine alot with different pipe and clutch set-ups and it lacks power down low. Enough so, when I'm racing its noticeably slower than most anything else out there...

WRT... the V-Spec where can you get a new V-spec for between 225-250???? The best consistent price I find is 265.00...

WRT...the Picco. Had a one, liked it...Its above what I was looking to spend but 227.99 for a P7 might be okay but its getting pretty close to the V-spec in price...

The GO engines and Sportwerks may be something or a couple to try...

Here's what I'm trying to find the equivalent of.... The Dynamite Mach 427. I have a modd'ed one in my truggy as does a couple of my friends, and honestly it gives nothing up to the more expensive .28s. Nothing...Well, maybe longevity. We've found the Machs to last ~4 gallons-ish. And my buddy finished 3rd in the 2007 Colorado State Nitro Championships (Truggy) with it. And we're talking a 150.00 buck motor well with some mods pushes the price right around 200.00 bucks.

But that gives you an idea of what I'm looking for. An inexpensive but capable motor....

Thanks again!
RC Mushy $245 http://rc-mushroom.com/index.php?cPa...sort=1a&page=3

it's werid all the places have bumped up the price since last time i looked ebay might have some cheaper
Byron's
http://www.hospitalrecords.com
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

just ditch the vspec and run a go 5 port all the time...there really is no need for 2 motors....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Which of these good .21s listed is going to hold up and last in my truggy.

I have heard good things about the durability and performance of the Piccos??

I just broke my Crankshaft today during a race so I am now in the market. I barrowed a Jammin .21 to finish my day and it screamed.

Thanks
ILDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #23
Tech Regular

I also forgot to mention I want to get 7 1/2 - 8 min on a tank
Old 09-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Did you get to see Jeff V's Truggy (he Tq'd Truggy at the kaos race today)? That was a Novarossi NR21bf (the cheap one) with an aggressive clutch. He easily had one of the best engines out there today.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

ive been running a P5X in my truggy when not running my werks .28, and that thing rips with over 10 minute run times.....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Yeah his truggy seamed to be running very well today. What was he getting for mileage?

My Werks .28 is the motor with the broken crankshaft. I don't know what happend I maybe had 20-25 tanks in it so far???? I am still puzzled???
Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

My guess is that you had a fluke material "indgestion", like a pebble wedged itself in between the clutch bell and spur. A broken crank is very rare. Jeff was getting around 7.5, when I pitted him we didn't try to stretch it. He did comment that in the buggy it didn't get as good mileage as his more expensive Nova but that it didn't matter with a 150cc tank. Jeff drives VERY aggressively on the throttle so like the saying goes: your results may vary...
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:55 AM   #28
Tech Master

Ditch the V-Spec!?!?!??!!

Sorry can't do it. The V-Spec is like the Kimber 1911 in my arsenal. Good, reliable, and performs great....
HPI - Blitz
Old 09-09-2007, 05:43 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoch View Post
Both.
why is the os vg .21 so bad as I was looking at the os vg .21 pes? is it really worth paying the extra 70-80$$$?
thanks
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #30
Tech Master

There is nothing wrong with the VG. For my needs/desires, its alittle on the slow side.

A couple guys run them locally and its a solid motor just not enough speed....

So, when racing the extra 70ish bucks is worth it. Could be mean the difference between making and not making the A-main....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
why is the os vg .21 so bad as I was looking at the os vg .21 pes? is it really worth paying the extra 70-80$$$?
thanks
HPI - Blitz