R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   jato 3.3 is it a race equipped truck! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/180191-jato-3-3-race-equipped-truck.html)

imprtcrx 09-05-2007 11:12 PM

jato 3.3 is it a race equipped truck!

I have a jato 3.3, and wanna know what i would have to change in order to be a race ready truck. I have alot of money already sunk into it. I'm new to the race scene and would like to start. But don't know the first thing about it. I've raced motocross for years and now i want to race my truck. Also if anyone knows any tracks in Pennsylvania it would be greatly appreciated.

AreCee 09-06-2007 05:48 AM

I'm not trying to be rude or anything like that but if you really wish to race 1/10 trucks then the best hop up to your Jato would be either a Losi xxx-nt or an Associated GT2.

Seriously, the Jato is a fine street basher but on a track it looks, well, out of place. In the hands of a great driver it would be mediocre at best. So if you are serious about racing then sell the Jato and buy a racer, you'll save a lot of money in the long run.

killabud 09-06-2007 05:52 AM

As said above, the Jato really isnt the best truck to put on the track. Iv seen them at my track and they dont fair to well.

Where in PA are you? there a bunch, just let me know where and I can fill you in. :D

imprtcrx 09-06-2007 10:17 AM

tracks

i live in minersville, Pennsylvania. Schuylkill county, about 1hr north of harrisburg.

Nitro Herb 09-06-2007 01:06 PM

i own a jato and it definetly is not competetive on an offroad track. for less than 300 bucks you can get a rtr gt2 and be very competetive. i know its probably not what you want to hear, but ive been there myself. i put a small fortune in to my jato trying to make it competetive , i finally gave up , i still have the jato , now i have an os 18 in it and bash it only. my gt2 worked flawlessly out of the box and ive had great summer with it.

dubum 09-06-2007 01:39 PM

Hobbytown in Reading is having an open track day this Saturday. It's located along Route 61. See ya there!

tkemory 09-06-2007 01:54 PM

My first RC was a Jato 2.5.

My biggest concern would be durability, especially on a track with heavy jumps. I had the worst problem with keeping my Jato together on a track, everytime I went I broke something.

I think the Jato could handle it just fine (power wise) if you hop it up with RPM parts or something similar. For example I broke 3 A Arms until I bought RPM version.

It felt like everytime I jumped something was going to break. don't get me wrong I think the Jato is a great car for bashing, but not really made very well for track racing.

super jato dude 09-06-2007 02:36 PM

definitely i have a jato 2.5 with a 3.3 and if any of you ask me this thing is good for nothing dont get afensive but i broke a part and stopped spending on it after the first 500 extra dollars i just couldnt so its in the basement staring and admiring my savage x amazing basher but the jato is not durable raceable or bashable i think.

super jato dude 09-06-2007 02:46 PM

thats the 2.5 i know i screwed it but yah thats my jato

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...smith9/005.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...smith9/004.jpg
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...smith9/003.jpg

imprtcrx 09-06-2007 10:38 PM

jato

For the guy who said about rpm arms. i have integy aluminum a-arms front and rear, hot racing steel spur gear, vantage racing cvd's, integy aluminum steering, traxxas aluminum tierods, imex tuned pipe and headpipe, and a t-6 7075 aluminum upgraded chassis. But to the whole post what is the big difference between the GT2 and the Jato? What happens if you took out the 3.3 and put in something smaller. And what about the Hpi Firestorm 10t 3.0 that is a .18 single speed how would that work for racing, I like hpi and traxxas, wasn't ever a big fan of AE or losi, now don't get me wrong when you look at listings AE and losi are on top all the time!

tex1 09-06-2007 11:21 PM

We have the Traxxas team here in Dallas. If you take the same drivers that run in the A at the Nats level, and put them in the Jato, they do not fair well. I worked on the Jato with a small motor and a big motor setup. We had cars with all kinds of engineering changes that required some very extensive work. These are the guys that designed the Revo and other cars in their stables so they are no slouches.
To this day it still is not quite right and cost a fortune to even get some respect on race day.
The GT-2 looks like the truck for now.
TEX
:rolleyes:

skeller 09-06-2007 11:23 PM

There's a reason that they're on top all the time......it's because they're better.....all around.

The Jato is ust ike any other Traxxas toy.....it's made for the beginner who may or may not have the money to sink into it, but certainly has the desire to try this new hobby. That's where they make their money.....newbies. A racer knows better, and they don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on spare parts just to make it thru a race weekend. Why do you think Traxxas completely redesigned 1/10 off road when they made this truck? Cause people were starting to see that the Nitro Rustler was just a toy and started buying other cars. They also changed the wheels and tire to try to force people who didn't know better to buy their stuff.....therefore increasing sales more. Traxxas markets the beginner.....luckily for them the Revo was a hit.....in alot of peoples pocket books. I won't knock MT racing, but look at the people that race the Revo with any amount of regular success.....they sometimes have thousands of dollars worth of upgrade and spare parts.

I would NOT recommend a Traxxas car or truck to ANYBODY that may ever think that they might want to race. If you wanna play....and have plenty of money.....and never want to race with any regular success.....the Traxxas is the brand for you. Sorry if I made anyone mad.....wasn't meant to.:)

rabidsquirrel 09-07-2007 05:13 AM

Skeller, I agree with your statement.

It takes a lot of money to make a Revo perform on the track (I.e. fast and durable).

Sell the Jato, dude. Get a real 1/10th scale race platform like those mentioned above.

It will save you a lot of headaches and you'll learn more in the process b/c you won't be wasting time addressing durability issues that shouldn't be there in the first place!

Traxxas makes great bashing and bling toys. They don't make good racing kits.

All those aluminium so-called 'hop-ups' are just bling. They will only slow your rig down on the track. Not to mention the fact that aluminium arms bend/tweak easily. One good jump or bad landing and it is basically tweaked for good. Waste of money on the track. New people don't know that, so don't feel bad. The evil marketing monkees lead people to believe that its some sort of performance enhancement. The only thing it might enhance is one's ego...

;)

tkemory 09-07-2007 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by imprtcrx (Post 3649485)
For the guy who said about rpm arms. i have integy aluminum a-arms front and rear, hot racing steel spur gear, vantage racing cvd's, integy aluminum steering, traxxas aluminum tierods, imex tuned pipe and headpipe, and a t-6 7075 aluminum upgraded chassis. But to the whole post what is the big difference between the GT2 and the Jato? What happens if you took out the 3.3 and put in something smaller. And what about the Hpi Firestorm 10t 3.0 that is a .18 single speed how would that work for racing, I like hpi and traxxas, wasn't ever a big fan of AE or losi, now don't get me wrong when you look at listings AE and losi are on top all the time!

I hate to nitpick but you didn't mention the GT2 once in your original thread, so how is the whole thread about the difference between the GT2 and the Jato.

Original Post

Originally Posted by imprtcrx
I have a jato 3.3, and wanna know what i would have to change in order to be a race ready truck. I have alot of money already sunk into it. I'm new to the race scene and would like to start. But don't know the first thing about it. I've raced motocross for years and now i want to race my truck. Also if anyone knows any tracks in Pennsylvania it would be greatly appreciated.

Your original question was, is the Jato a raceable car, my answer was basically no its too fragile.

skeller 09-07-2007 06:29 AM

The GT2 is probably the fastest gas truck out there today. I race the old Mugen MST-1 and I love this truck!! But I've driven a couple of GT2's and they are wicked bad. Still, most of it is "in the drivers hands".:nod::nod: