Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Grease on air filter foam >

Grease on air filter foam

Grease on air filter foam

Old 09-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Grease on air filter foam

i want to know what kind of grease i can use to put it at the bottom of the air filter foam to keep the dust not going inside the engine.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

just stick to the regular filter oil!! i like the associated oil myself!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hyperrex8
just stick to the regular filter oil!! i like the associated oil myself!!!
of course i still have to use the air filter oil. but i want to put a little amount of grease at the bottom of the air filter foam against the air filter housing so there is no gap for the dust to get in.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

goto a motorcycle shop and they will have grease you can use. We used that when I raced motocross with our filters. I know Belray and PJ1 makes some.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

Any petroleum based grease would work. Avoid anything with silicone in it.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Truggy007
of course i still have to use the air filter oil. but i want to put a little amount of grease at the bottom of the air filter foam against the air filter housing so there is no gap for the dust to get in.
Truggy, I used to do what you are talking about, but since the new Kyosho green filter oil came out, I just put a little extra on the ends of the filter. I think it works better because it actually adheres to the housing. It's sticky stuff. lol
Old 09-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i use no toil. i use the oil for the filter and there grease to seal it off when i race on a real dusty track. its 16 bucks for a huge bottle so its worth it for me as i change my filter before every qualifier and main. and before everytime i practice.

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/pro...badger-offroad
Old 09-06-2007, 01:42 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

simple wheel bearing greese from nearly any store that sells stuff like that.

4.00 USD for a tub of it and it ll last FOREVER.

i greese all the mating surfaces of my air filters on my Gassers and the nitros.

my area is VERY dusty unless its been raining.

ANY thing you can do to keep the dirt/sand/dust/debris out of the motor is a good thing to do.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I use the PJ1 Filter Treatment and Filter Cleaner. I use Associated clear diff grease to help seal up the ends.

Later,
Old 09-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree with the above that any grease will work. I have tub of the Belray grease from my MX days. It will last me forever. I'm still using the same 1qt bottle of Belray filter oil for my RC filters. Another item that will last forever.

BTW Associated filter oil and Belray are the same stuff. Smell em. LOL

All you need is a very thin bead on both ends and your good to go.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Timmahh
ANY thing you can do to keep the dirt/sand/dust/debris out of the motor is a good thing to do.
Well, anything short of plugging it.

One of those great tradeoffs in motorsports: do you run a thin air filter system and get more air into the engine to make more power or do you pile on the protection and possibly choke it off?

Someone gave me a great tip a few years back when I was putting my first nitro car together and I've been doing it ever since, using this stuff from 3M called Vetrap as an outer element on those round "drum" type air filters that pull in air from the side, like most bigblock engines use. It's the same gauze bandage thing that veterinarians use on a horse's ankles, and you can get it at places like Farm & Fleet for about $6 a roll last I checked. It makes sense when you think about it, bandages are meant to keep dirt out and still allow air circulation to the wound. That sounds a lot like an air filter. The roll is about 6" long, so all I do is take a sharp razorblade and cut the roll a little bit wider than the filter housing. I usually put on 4 layers, and using just enough tension on the bandage to make a clean wrap (the wrap is elastic, so if you pull it tight it'll compress the filter). The only thing I oil is the inner element, the Vetrap goes on dry. As it gets dirty, you just grab the end and undo one layer. By the time you run out of wrap the inner element looks like it's got about 1 more run left in it before it needs to be cleaned. Like I said I cut it a little wider than the air filter housing itself, so the Vetrap covers the entire assembly, ends and all. I've been racing and driving my GT2 with an O.S. 12CV all this summer and I've dirtied up 1 air filter element and the 4 layers of Vetrap that was on it, and I'm only 2 layers into my 2nd element.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 PM

I use no-toil filter oil on my Yamaha WR250F, but I don't know if it will decntigrate your air filter on your RC car... I would just put a bit more than usual around the edges if you are really worried about it, but I have never heard of anyone doing such a thing... hmmm might be a good idea
Old 09-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

I treat my R/C air filters the same way we treat the dirt bike ones at our house: thorough cleaning in a solvent tank, squeeze and let air dry overnight, one coat of PJ1 "Super Sticky" motorcycle filter oil (the red stuff in a spray can), work it in and squeeze the excess into a paper towel. Put one on the engine and the spares in a Ziplock bag. So far so good, they don't seem to be falling apart.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run the Belray waterproof grease on the bottom and top seal of my filters as well as the cage screw. It's supposed to be linkage grease for shock linkages. It's like $12 a dish or so, kind of expensive, but I've barely used any so far and I use it on everything including diff orings, driveshafts and I've even used it to stop an air leak around a carb slide now.

Best part about it, it guarantees not to swell Orings and is waterproof.

I also use MC1 oils on my filters. Lots of things carry over from my old motocross days...
Old 09-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Regional Moderator

I use NoToil on the filter element, and white lithium grease on the filter element ends. A tub like this will last your lifetime for $5
http://www.amazon.com/White-Lithium-.../dp/B000ABGAM6

Like a lot of people on here, it is a carryover from my MX days.