R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 10-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #151
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
something not right here

Let me tell you guys my personal experience with Torco. a couple of weeks ago, halfway through a 20 minute main, I clipped a pipe and it popped the header off the back of my engine. ( yes it was loud!) Not only did I finish the race without another pit ( took 4th ) My Stock V-spec came off the track at 250 degrees with no header for 10 minutes in buggy. That stuff dont happen with ordinary fuel..made a lifelong believer out of me..so say what you want, but I know for a fact that Torco is some good stuff, its all I will ever use from here on out

Your right somethings not right

I posted it because everyone has a opinion..Anyone can say the exact same thing "better mileage and cooler temps" about any fuel...I honestly do believe in Torco and will continue to run it as long I race..I honestly am getting far better mileage and cooler temps vs the other fuels I use to run(Byrons gen2 and sidewinder
Old 10-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #152
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Iam suprised that they let you race without a muffler like that. Where I race you would have been plulled off the track.

Ohh yea and +2, +3, +4... on coldfusionfuel. I run the magic blend and man this stuff is magic. I love the stuff. No dyes to stain or tarnish your expensive mill just good old pure fuel that burns clean and strong. I have seen issues with the other brand a few times. Give Vernon a call at coldfusion and he'll hook you up.
Have you tried Torco, or speaking from second hand ???

To speak openly and candidly, without bashing cold fusion, because it is good fuel and vernon is a great guy. I now supply 5 people that were using his fuel with Torco and 1 of them was a team driver from Charlotte. I am also supplying 2 ex-Byron's drivers and 2 ex-sidwinder drivers. In my opinion people have tried and said they liked it, but everyone has thier reasons and some come down to preference.

I have held 3 private test nights with my team guys to test comparison products and by far Torco is superior, but Byron's and Sidewinder are both very good products and comparable at times. Between those 3 it is almost preference but Torco does have a slight edge is some conditions, more so in hotter weather. But all are closer in cooler or colder weather.

Remember Nitro comes from 1 of 5 plants in China, which are all owned by the same company, so what sticker they put on the barrell before shipping is what you get, there is no quality control for batch to batch. Quality fuel is based on blends and more so on the quality of the lubrication packaged.

Torco is good stuff, but putting it ahead of another product without ever trying it, is like saying Whoppers suck, yet you have never been to Burger King.
thabiuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #153
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabiuk View Post
Have you tried Torco, or speaking from second hand ???

To speak openly and candidly, without bashing cold fusion, because it is good fuel and vernon is a great guy. I now supply 5 people that were using his fuel with Torco and 1 of them was a team driver from Charlotte. I am also supplying 2 ex-Byron's drivers and 2 ex-sidwinder drivers. In my opinion people have tried and said they liked it, but everyone has thier reasons and some come down to preference.

I have held 3 private test nights with my team guys to test comparison products and by far Torco is superior, but Byron's and Sidewinder are both very good products and comparable at times. Between those 3 it is almost preference but Torco does have a slight edge is some conditions, more so in hotter weather. But all are closer in cooler or colder weather.

Remember Nitro comes from 1 of 5 plants in China, which are all owned by the same company, so what sticker they put on the barrell before shipping is what you get, there is no quality control for batch to batch. Quality fuel is based on blends and more so on the quality of the lubrication packaged.

Torco is good stuff, but putting it ahead of another product without ever trying it, is like saying Whoppers suck, yet you have never been to Burger King.
So clear it up once and for all.What happened with the batch that the haters are obsessed with?
pete 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #154
Tech Regular

All, I can say is that I have sold close to 300 cases of Torco and have yet to experience any "problems". The only changes I know of and have experienced is the dye content, they lowered that because of staining. The second is packaging, the first couple of shipments I got had tops that had a washer type sealer, now they have aluminum sealed foil.

I have had people comment it smokes alot so they over lean it, to get it to the smoke level they are acustomed to. It does smoke alot because of the high synthetic oil in the fuel, synthetic oil has a much higher flashpoint than castor, thus the reason it smokes more.

I started seliing it back in May, with the first batch, and as for batches, the factory is on site they mix batches twice a week. So, if you order from them Friday, you will most likely get fuel that was mixed within the last week.

If you have a local dealer around you, ask them for a half gallon. They should not have any problem standing behind it. I routinely give people a quart or half gallon to try, and most of them end up buying from me or one of my retailers.

Tim
Old 10-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #155
Tech Regular

I tried it several months back and it ran fine.A little too much oil for my taste but overall good stuff.I now run Coldfusion and am very happy with it and probably will never change.You guys got a raw deal from the haters and it's a shame.Good luck.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #156
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Iv'e got a gallon of Torco 30% sitting down at the UPS depot right now. I plan on running it on Sunday, in my Revo, and will post my results.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #157
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle View Post
Im not sure what you are trying to say because if it ran for 10 minutes after the header came off it was because it was still getting fuel to run on and the oil is in the fuel sounds like to me that any fuel would have give the same result other then that it would have run out or over heated and died.im not trying to rag on you but i have never seen an engine keep running like that just because of the brand of fuel you put in the tank.
I have never had this situation happen to me before so I cant speak from personal experiences but all the other racers there said my engine should have flamed out from the excessive heat and lean conditions, and they also said it should have come off the track at much hotter temps..It made more than 1 person switch to Torco fuel so it must have been impressive enough. I dont think I want to test this out with other fuels and see what the outcome is
Old 10-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #158
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabiuk View Post
I have had people comment it smokes alot so they over lean it, to get it to the smoke level they are acustomed to. It does smoke alot because of the high synthetic oil in the fuel, synthetic oil has a much higher flashpoint than castor, thus the reason it smokes more.

Tim
Tim that statement does not make sense. I will agree that synthetics theoretically can have flash points higher than castor oils (depending on the quality of the synthetic) however smoke is caused by the combustion of oil. If there is a lot of smoke this means that there is a lot of oil being burned. Burnt oil does not protect an engine, after all it is being burnt up so it's actually no longer there lol! So.... if you are running a normal oil percentage i.e. 8-12% and seeing an unusually high amount of smoke this would lead me to believe that there is an unusually large amount of oil burning up also. This is not something that I would consider a good thing. Ideally you want oil to not burn so that it is actually there doing what it's supposed to do, lubricate things.

Ron
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #159
Tech Addict

Ron,
Thanks for clearing that up, as his logic was completely illogical! It gripes me that people on here will make some declaration and everyone takes it as gospel. I have to be honest Ron...I've never tried your Werks fuel. But I have seen many of your posts on here and one thing I've noticed is that you are a straight shooter and you're not afraid to mix it up or give your opinion when you encounter something you don't agree with. Kudos to you my man...I wish there were more like you posting on this forum! You've given me a good reason to try your products, thanks for that!
Team RcRenew...visit us at rcrenew.com!
Triton RC Alpha Plus Engines
rcgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #160
Tech Regular

So according to your logic an engine that smokes alot is not getting enough lubrication.......WOW.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #161
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

rcgeezer, thanks but I'm not really trying to mix it up with anyone. I also have to say that I'm also not trying to come on here to say "hey just go buy product xyz, it's the best in the world" as some others seem to be doing (which I think is inappropriate). It just seems that when it comes to fuel there is a lot of shall I say "misunderstanding" about it's components, what they individually do and what the pro's v/ con's of them might be. This is not directed towards anyone in specific, just and observation. I have however seen quite a lot of contradictory information posted on this thread especially when I first got active on RC Tech and me and I think it was Steve??? (the guy from Torco) were going back and forwards. But neither here nor there, that was just an individual that worked there and it says nothing about the quality of a product.

pete 26, you stated "So according to your logic an engine that smokes a lot is not getting any lubrication.....WOW)

I'm assuming that you are trying to be smart. You may or may not know who I am but if you do I would hope that you might believe that I know a little bit about what I'm talking about. However to address your sarcasm my post was directly in response to this statement:

"I have had people comment it smokes alot so they over lean it, to get it to the smoke level they are accustomed to. "

Running an engine stupid rich will result in a smoke trail caused predominately by an excessive amount of oil being blown out of the engine into the pipe and then basically being cooked in there. However based on the comment that I'm quoting, if and engine has to be leaned so far that and I quote "they over lean it, to get to the smoke level that they are accustomed to" they are definitely not running rich then are they hmm???? A lot of smoke is caused by two things, a high oil content or oil that burns at a lower temperature. This is why I stated "if you are running a normal oil percentage i.e. 8-12%" in my last post because I'm assuming that it is a normal (for car fuel) oil percentage. I've spent several years testing car fuel and just about every oil that can be mixed in it. Let me know if you want to continue debating this....

Regards,

Ron
Werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #162
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to hustler777 Send a message via Yahoo to hustler777

ok....i understand what ron is try'n to say...it's just word'd a lil' confusing...i'm gonna ATEMPT to help...different oils have a different flash point, some hot, some cold, and when any oil burns, it will leave a residue behind no matter what, but it's not as useful as it is in its orignal liquid form. when an oil burns cold, it will lead to colder head temps....if it burns warm, the temps will rise...now if i'm not mistaken torco's oil burns colder than most out there...that doesn't mean that it's a bad oil, it just has a different "heat signature" then others...that contributes to the drop in temps when running it. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORECT ME IF I'M WRONG...I JUST READ BACK THRU EVERYTHING I JUST TYPED AND AM NOW CONFUSED MYSELF
Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #163
Tech Regular

Oh yes Ron.I know who you are .Your the guy with exclusive rights the term "race blend".What an ego. I don't claim your level of knowledge about toy car engines but I have built engines that won 6 amature national moto championships.Not all synythetic oil has a higher flash point than Castor.You should also know that the "smoke" exiting your stinger is partly atomized uncombusted oil.I stated earlier that this fuel has too much oil for my taste.I run Coldfusion and allways will. I've noticed that every chance you get you critisize these guys...I haven't ran your fuel or your engines so I can't comment on there quality .How much Torco have you ran hmmmm.......? Must be allot because you certainly have allot of opinions.Why don't you check that ego and concentrate on making your own products better and let these boys do the same.

Regards,Pete
Old 10-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #164
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler777 View Post
ok....i understand what ron is try'n to say...it's just word'd a lil' confusing...i'm gonna ATEMPT to help...different oils have a different flash point, some hot, some cold, and when any oil burns, it will leave a residue behind no matter what, but it's not as useful as it is in its orignal liquid form. when an oil burns cold, it will lead to colder head temps....if it burns warm, the temps will rise...now if i'm not mistaken torco's oil burns colder than most out there...that doesn't mean that it's a bad oil, it just has a different "heat signature" then others...that contributes to the drop in temps when running it. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORECT ME IF I'M WRONG...I JUST READ BACK THRU EVERYTHING I JUST TYPED AND AM NOW CONFUSED MYSELF
Only partly true. The residue left from castor is actually more protective than it's original form.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #165
Tech Regular

I think everyone has correct points, and Ron is one of the leaders in quality RC fuels so his knowledge is top of the line. Torco 30%, comes with 10% content ( 8 synthetic, 2 castor ) which differs from some fuels out there almost in reverse with the majority being Castor.

I find the fuel runs signifigantly leaner, approx 2-3 hours leaner, but smokes more. As for the burning/protection point, synthetics have always been designed to be more stable, and cling to metal components providing protection at higher operating temperatures even after "burn off". Case in point ask any mechanic the difference in Synthetic protection vs conventional protection.

I think what makes it work is that the synthetic oil still has properties impregnate into the metal, that provides protection under normal temps. I don't believe any fuel including Torco will protect any motor if abused and run excessively lean.

Sorry if it is a disorganized ramble, long day.

I will be sending RB Mods 2 Jammin JPX.21's, to rebuild and mod. One is a little weak with 7 1/2 gallons on it, the other 3 gallons with a cracked case (victim of S.I.C.), I will ask him for an straight up report on both and will post them on my site and here (give me a few weeks).

Thanks for you input Ron,

Tim