R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Buggy vs Truggy

I apologise if this has came up before. I searched the forums as best as I could and couldn't find a discussion about this.

Ok, topic: 1/8th scale Buggy vs Truggy, discuss pros and cons of each and your preference with reasoning.

I would like to discuss this as I'm going to be purchasing either an 8ight or an 8eightT soon. I have raced stadium trucks and 2wd buggies but am new to 4wd.

I would like this thread to go as in depth as possible into the differences of Buggies and truggies and stay educational and infomative. Please no flaming and no "_uggies are better cause thats what I drive!" That sort of comment help anyone.

Thanks for your time,
Tyler
Xicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

It all depends on what kind of track u drive and realy just personal prefrence.. I like driving my truggy but the Buggy takes more skill and will fine tune your driving IMO...
Old 08-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

At the tracks Ive been to it seems the better drivers have buggies or both and the new guys or not as fast guys have truggies. There is no doubt a truggy is easier to wheel since they have more traction and stability from their larger tires and longer wider stances. Ive done both and I usually stick with buggies due to more competition but have recently purchased another truggy for club racing days when pit help is scarse so I can work with friends of mine who just run buggy and also to race at some larger events. You having 2wd buggy experience ought to be good enough to wheel a buggy with ease so you can just make your decision based on who you wanna race with. I was going to say truggy is more expensive but I'm not sure. Its obvious truggy tires cost more but I think they also last longer. In the end it really is something your going to have to decide for yourself because there is no right or wrong. You'll have fun with either.
PTP Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would say go with whatever class has better competition at your track. I race 1/10 gas truck and 1/8 buggy and usually wind up contending for the win in gas truck but mid pack in the B-Main in buggy. It seems weird but running 4th in the B in buggy is more exciting than TQ and winning in gas truck just because the talent pool is so much deeper. In gas truck there are only about 3-4 people that are close at the top while any of the top dozen in buggy could duke it out when having a good day.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i like truggies fun to wheel easier to drive fast and if the set up isnt perfect you can still get around the track fast and most of all the tire bill isnt NEARLY as exspensive as buggies man i was going through a set every race sometimes 2 or more my truggy xtt tires are over a month old
roscoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

i like 1/8 so much that i race both....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Many said truggy is easier to drive and stronger than buggy due to big size and big trackwidth ( more stability and thus less prone to accidents ).

I'm also thinking to buy xray truggy because my hometrack got deep roots and big jumps....... more suitable for truggy.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the great replies. At this point I think I'm going to go with a Buggy as I always had more fun with them when I was into 2wd. Moeney isn't a huge issue so I probably end up with both down the road. But it looks like it will be buggy first.

By all means keep the discussion going though for others that may search for this subject later. ^_^

Tyler
Xicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Dave_x8

id say a truggy would be the way to go, a bit more ground clearance than the buggy, also wider tyres which means more control.
+1 for the truggy
Dave_x8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:24 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Only thing with truggy is that the wheel & tires cost a tiny bit more and you will generally need a stronger steering servo than a buggy.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with gubbs. It comes down to who you want to race against skill level wise. Not to say that there are not fast racers in Truggy but there are typically more beginners.
Sandbagger! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i say go with whatever has the biggest turnout on a consistent basis, at our hometrack we usually have 20 to 30 truggies show up but only 5 or 10 buggies so i went with truggy to race with more people and better comp
just my 2 cents

scott
losiguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

A little example

Vid Truggy VS TT 1/8
Mugen option parts
Proline LPR + Bowtie
Body Symbio T2

http://truggy-france.com/autres-truggy-f13/truggy-caster-k8t-maj-10_04_08-caro-symbio-t2-t3063.htm
zigzag84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:45 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xicor View Post
I apologise if this has came up before. I searched the forums as best as I could and couldn't find a discussion about this.

Ok, topic: 1/8th scale Buggy vs Truggy, discuss pros and cons of each and your preference with reasoning.

I would like to discuss this as I'm going to be purchasing either an 8ight or an 8eightT soon. I have raced stadium trucks and 2wd buggies but am new to 4wd.

I would like this thread to go as in depth as possible into the differences of Buggies and truggies and stay educational and infomative. Please no flaming and no "_uggies are better cause thats what I drive!" That sort of comment help anyone.

Thanks for your time,
Tyler
well if you have raced 1/10 truck and 2wd buggy then I would say the 8ight buggy. You will love it. the 8ight buggy has similar driving charistics that you can transfer over from your 1/10 stuff.
Losi has some of the best tech help you could ever ask for.
The 8ight is a drivers buggy the smoother you drive it the faster you will become. You will find your self smiling every time you drive it.
Around me the buggy class out numbers the truggy class about 9 to 1. At the last club race there were 7 heats of buggy and only 1 heat of truggy.
So if racing and competition is your thing then the buggy is the way to go.
good luck my friend
thats my .02
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #15
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

Buggy:

+Generally more popular
+Higher skill level
+Initial cost is cheaper
-Harder to drive fast