R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Air filter oil- Have you tried Rock Oil? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/178941-air-filter-oil-have-you-tried-rock-oil.html)

dsl 08-27-2007 12:56 PM

Air filter oil- Have you tried Rock Oil?

I recently bought some Rock Oil air filter oil. I liked the idea of being able to wash it out completely w/ soap and water.

I noticed when I apply the oil, the filter swells up and doesn't fit right.

Is this oil any good?

magbarn 08-27-2007 02:06 PM

I've heard many good things about rock oil. In fact, I have a quart of it sitting right now on my shelf. It's supposed to be real easy to clean as it's water soluble. The swelling should go down if you let it dry for a few hours. My main beef with it is it's water solubility. My track is frequently kept wet by sprinklers so the last thing I need is to get the filter wet and the oil to get slowly washed away. I currently use motul motorcycle foam filter oil which is so water repellant that normal soap and water won't wash it out. I have to use PJ's foam filter cleaner to take it off.

cheesecake 08-27-2007 03:18 PM

i use notoil but you have to use the notoil cleaner with the oil

BH 08-28-2007 08:18 PM

I've ran Rock Oil only for over the last year. It has been a great change for me. Before I ran either Mugen oil, or PJ1.

The rock oils breaths better, it doesn't cake up with dirt, and it also washes completly clean with pretty much just water.

The alcohol in it can make the foam swell a tad, but they normally return to their normal size once all of the alcohol as evaporated. I run proline air filters and have zero swelling however. I saturate the inner and let it sit while I'm oilling the outter, wait about 10 minutes and then squeeze the inner in a paper towel once or twice to get the excess out. Then I do the sam with the outter. I normally change the outter once during a club race on a dusty track. On a damp track I can go all night.

As far as water washing the filter out during a race, if you have that much water getting inside your body during a race I think you are going to have bigger problems then some air filter oil getting washed away. It pretty much takes a completly saturated filter and a good stream to rinse the oil away. I've had a few wet air filters from a pit stop fuel splash and never a comprimised filter foam.

Peter Martin @ Total Competition Development (TKO) puts a great deal of though into the products that he distributes. It'll be the only filter oil I run.

I hope this helps.

Brandon

pwnzor 08-28-2007 08:28 PM

i use fram air filter oil in a can, and clean with soap and water ;)

Jason Halvorson 08-28-2007 09:24 PM

i use marvels mystery oil always works great for me....