Wiki Posts
Search

O.S 21VZB Vspec break in and running

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default O.S 21VZB Vspec break in and running

Just purchased one of these for my Losi 8ight, Have heard some mixed stories about them not lasting a long time due to improper breaking in.

Which method have people out there used and how long has your engine lasted?

I am probably going to use the O.S breaking in procedure, as i have owned several O.S engines and have never had a problem this way.

Would still be very interested in any other opinions on this motor, have done a search and considering how popular this engine is, there wasnt a great deal of information around this forum on it.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

i richen the motor a full turn on bottom and top soon as i take it out the box. then i use a heat gun to get the motor about 140. start it up and bump your radio epa up a bit soon it stays at a high idle. i leave the heat gun on the engine so it gets up around 200-220. (the heat gun makes up for the richness of the motor and still heat cycles the sleeve).

i idle 4-5 tanks of fuel leaning the bottom 1/8th each tank. also be sure to move the flywheel with your finger so the piston is at the bottom you can feel it. then i take it to the track and run around for a tank very rich not even hitting jumps lean out the bottom and top about 1/4 turn during this run. then lean another 1/4 turn and run around the track 2 tanks slowly rolling the throttle never just jab it. lean it out some more and run one more tank, by here it should be making good power now and just leave it at that for the race day. i don't run it over 210-220 the first race day.

thats how i personally do high end 21's and it has worked good for me.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

i did exactly what the book said and im on 3rd gallon and still tight as it was on the first gallon.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

my buddy has broken in two v specs by just running them around super rich for a few tanks and then taking them to the track and leaving them pretty rich (using a P3 plug to help it stay running) and both his engines run great and are lasting a long time.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Initiate

the "josh cyril" method.

full throttle on a starter box, super rich so that it finishes a tank in 1 minute and the wheels barely moving.

do this 3 times and your ready to go, breakin take a whole 10minutes.

try keep temps as high as possible, use alu foil and a hair dryer to get temps up. otherwise it will run super cool at such rich settings.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pdungadamo
the "josh cyril" method.

full throttle on a starter box, super rich so that it finishes a tank in 1 minute and the wheels barely moving.

do this 3 times and your ready to go, breakin take a whole 10minutes.

try keep temps as high as possible, use alu foil and a hair dryer to get temps up. otherwise it will run super cool at such rich settings.
i'd be careful with that, Ive heard of some people using that method and not havin them last very long.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

i had 2 V spec's one that i ran in using the heatcycle method is still going like a train. The second one i ran in using the WOT method and a heat gun and it broke the rod (snapped on the big end) after 1 gallon. I rebuilt the engine with a new rod and re ran it in with heat cycle and its as fast as the first one

Heat cycle for me every time,
Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

the WOT method is actually a 4 stroke method of breakin. it will work on the 2 stroke motors but you need to use a heat gun to bring the motor up to 220+ and heat cycle it at the same time.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies guys, heat cycle method it is

I have never owned an engine with a turbo head/plug before, are they suppose to not run a copper gasket for the glow plugs? Just a practice im not used to with normal engines......
Old 08-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

Originally Posted by NJA82
Thanks for the replies guys, heat cycle method it is

I have never owned an engine with a turbo head/plug before, are they suppose to not run a copper gasket for the glow plugs? Just a practice im not used to with normal engines......
Just thought I would let you know that the turbo plugs do NOT take the copper gasket like a standard plug