R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up The Nitrage is scary fast

Finally got the motor broke-in and was able to make some full-throttle runs on the 5.2 using 20% Nitro/16% Oil, lord have mercy, i thought my friends 3.3 was fast.
This truggy is a absolute rocket as the motor pulls very strongly, once the optional 2-speed gear set is released and 50+ mph is realized then all the truggy needs is wings to fly because it's got the power, the Nitrage is definitely a LARGE car, it pushes 1/8 scale to the boundaries.
The jetting is very rich from the factory and if your anywhere above sea level then close both needles at least a 1/4-1/2 turn at both ends before attempting to run it otherwise you will have trouble keeping the engine running, the good news is that the rookies don't have to worry about leaning the motor during break-in because it's plenty rich at both ends.
You know the mixture is rich when the glow igniter much stay attached to keep the motor running because the motor wont build enough heat to support combustion.
The exhaust stinger is angled straight down thru the floor of the car to keep oil from coating the left rear tire and causing traction problems, the unique chassis is very strong and requires no external braces for rigidity like other truggys, the ventilation hole in the windshield is rectangular and the factory indented outline makes for a clean design once opened.
A pull-tab must be added to to the fuel tank lid for in-flight refueling thru the windshield vent, the flip-top cover on the fuel tank has a very tight seal and requires that you manually push it closed with your finger, this prevents fuel from leaking if the truggy is up-side down, i suppose you could let the lid snap shut but I'm not sure that's such a good idea.
The suspension is fully adjustable and should allow the end-user to really dial the car in for any track, Club Racing just got a lot more competitive with the release of the Nitrage 5.2.........
Modifications to date: CV drive shafts, CV axle shafts, Front brake kit, Anti-sway bars, 100k wt silicone in the gearbox, 60wt front/70wt rear in the shocks.
Still waiting on the 2-speed upgrade, now let the aftermarket begin!

Last edited by mad-dog; 08-24-2007 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Cuz i can't spell
mad-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Let's hope someone makes a metal spur gear as I hear the plastic one strips out as easily as the Revo one does.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go easy on the engine. I think it's the same engine that is used on the TNX 5.2. I know 3 folks who has busted this engine easily.
khoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Arrow Give the aftermarket some time

Keep in mind that the Nitrage is brand new and has only been on the market for a short time, high-strength gear sets plus tons of optional hop-ups will soon be available, to date i have not had any trouble with the spur gear (crossed fingers), this may have been a problem with the first batch of gears that came off the manufacturing line in the land of the rising sun, time will tell.
On a long straight or wide sweeper i will have to quote MC Hammer and say "you can't touch this".......
The competiton will be singing the "Pinks" theme song, "walk away from me"
Old 08-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Races aren't won on long straights or wide sweepers. How does the thing turn and carry speed through a tight corner? Remember, you have to finish the race to win! And who want's to spend another $400 to make a vehicle competitive. I learned that lesson with that POS Revo!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Arrow It needs a tad more steering throw

I bought the truggy from http://www.ultimatehobbies.com for $500 and have another $75 tied up in upgrades which make the Nitrage handle better and more bullet-proof.
Even with the CVD's the steering needs more throw so a little grinding on the knuckles is due.
Even if i had to buy upgraded knuckles and other related steering components once they're available i will still have less money tied up then if i had gone with Kyosho, Mugen, Ofna or Associated.
Kit cars like those listed cost 50% more and are only a rolling chassis, you gotta spend another $300-$500 on Engine and Electronics depending on how fancy you wanna get, everybody and their brother has one of those and their good vehicles...........but they broke the bank doing it.
Heck, TeamVTX sells a RTR buggy for $300 that will run with the big-boys.
The Nitrage has a optional 2-speed gearbox that will do 2 things: allow the Nitrage to accelerate faster out of corners and have higher top speeds down the straights.
The 5.2 engine combined with the optional 2-speed make for a potent machine, i have no regrets brother, trust me.
Smokin fast RTR Truggy: $500
Optional upgrades: $75-$150
1 gallon of 30% Nitro:$25
The look on their faces when they get whooped by a Tamiya: $PRICELESS
Old 08-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

You might want to drop a more fuel efficient engine in that thing down the road. Around here, even the most competitive guys can lose a position, or a race, with an extra fuel stop.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Lightbulb Pros and Cons of high-performance

Agreed, a larger or supplemental fuel tank is a great idea but should be well thought out so as not to throw the car off balance to the left or right.
In a perfect world the ideal racer would be balanced equally side to side with/without fuel in the tank, a center mounted saddle tank with dual pickups or left/right dual tanks with a "Y" connector would be ideal.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking release the nitrage

glad you like the Nitrage dude,always good to hear how they go.

theres some good info on www.tamiyatrucks.com if you go and have a look there.theres even a link there at tamiyatrucks to Rcdriver magazines website where they have done a few of the hop ups on their nitrage.

i dont know if the 2 speed will be legal for racing but for club racing they might not worry.

i have seen on the Tamiya website that they have hop up shock towers and a couple of other mods coming soon for the nitrage soon as well.

if you ever manage to video it in action post it on the web
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Arrow Thanx Dallas

Yup, I'm very pleased with the truggy as you can tell, i will never compete in ROAR or IFMAR sanctioned events as i am a disabled Vet stuck in a wheelchair, most driver stands are not handicapped accessible which is sad, but true.
The owner (Robbie) of my local track (Toys 4 Big Boys) has agreed to modify the grandstand at his track to accommodate wheelchairs by building a ramp for the 2 people who are disabed, Robbie is a super cool person and we appreciate everything he does for us.
I bought the truggy strictly for bashing and the club races at the local track with the weekend warriors, they don't care about the motor size or how many gears it has, it's just good ole boys and girls having fun in a very family oriented atmosphere.
The only mods i don't have for the Nitrage are the Front n Rear shock towers, Steering plate and the optional 2-speed gearset which has not been released yet.
To be honest with you i don't know the difference between the stock Shock Towers and the optional parts, the Stock Towers are aluminum and have multiple mounting holes for the Shocks, can you shed some light?
I do have all the CVD's, Sway Bars and the Front brake..
Cya L8r, George
Old 08-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

If you ever make it up to Chicagoland or the Milwaukee area pretty much all of our tracks are accessible.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking nitrage

mate, it sounds like your track owners are top blokes,which is excellent.

i think the option shock towers are thicker alloy,kind of like the machined ones you see on 1/8 buggies

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rcp...chassis_id=A96

i also have no idea what the centre one way direct shaft set is.
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out.. but I think the main problem with the spur, is to loose slipper-clutch.. When the slipper slips under load, the metal axle transfers heat to the plastic spur, making it soft - and breaks.. I've tighten up the slipper and adjusted the engine-clutch to match the track I race at.. No problems!
BugFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Default nirage problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-dog View Post
Finally got the motor broke-in and was able to make some full-throttle runs on the 5.2 using 20% Nitro/16% Oil, lord have mercy, i thought my friends 3.3 was fast.
This truggy is a absolute rocket as the motor pulls very strongly, once the optional 2-speed gear set is released and 50+ mph is realized then all the truggy needs is wings to fly because it's got the power, the Nitrage is definitely a LARGE car, it pushes 1/8 scale to the boundaries.
The jetting is very rich from the factory and if your anywhere above sea level then close both needles at least a 1/4-1/2 turn at both ends before attempting to run it otherwise you will have trouble keeping the engine running, the good news is that the rookies don't have to worry about leaning the motor during break-in because it's plenty rich at both ends.
You know the mixture is rich when the glow igniter much stay attached to keep the motor running because the motor wont build enough heat to support combustion.
The exhaust stinger is angled straight down thru the floor of the car to keep oil from coating the left rear tire and causing traction problems, the unique chassis is very strong and requires no external braces for rigidity like other truggys, the ventilation hole in the windshield is rectangular and the factory indented outline makes for a clean design once opened.
A pull-tab must be added to to the fuel tank lid for in-flight refueling thru the windshield vent, the flip-top cover on the fuel tank has a very tight seal and requires that you manually push it closed with your finger, this prevents fuel from leaking if the truggy is up-side down, i suppose you could let the lid snap shut but I'm not sure that's such a good idea.
The suspension is fully adjustable and should allow the end-user to really dial the car in for any track, Club Racing just got a lot more competitive with the release of the Nitrage 5.2.........
Modifications to date: CV drive shafts, CV axle shafts, Front brake kit, Anti-sway bars, 100k wt silicone in the gearbox, 60wt front/70wt rear in the shocks.
Still waiting on the 2-speed upgrade, now let the aftermarket begin!
hey i got a nitrage to but haveing problems with tuning can you help me? im new to gas cars
almightyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

markr04 is offline   Reply With Quote