Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi XXX NT RTR or Associated GT2 RTR??? >

Losi XXX NT RTR or Associated GT2 RTR???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi XXX NT RTR or Associated GT2 RTR???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Default Losi XXX NT RTR or Associated GT2 RTR???

guys,
made the decision to expand my horizons from the onroad world and try my hand @ off road. So ive narrowed it down to the XXX NT or the GT2 (after several people taked me out of purchasing the Jato!!). So what do yall think the best choice is for 1/10 stadium truck and why? thanks...
Old 09-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

whichever has better parts availability where you are, they are both very competitive. being an associated guy i would say gt2 if the local shop stocks parts for it..

Nothing sucks more than breaking a 2 dollar part that no one has.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm an ae guy too so my bias is with the gt2. I have one and absolutely love the truck. I had some growing pains with it at first but once those were figured out it's just an excellent truck and easy to drive fast.
But my real opinion is you just can't go wrong with either a gt2 or an AD2.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:23 AM
Tech Adept

go with the GT2, parts supplies are getting better, the kit is cheaper than the losi. i was thinking about getting a losi because everyone is running a GT at my track but then looked into it and the price for the rtr is higher than the GT2 pro kit. i can understand why people talked you out of the Jato, i have one i race. it took a while to learn how to drive it and set it up. now it is a competitive truck, but i have driven losi and gt trucks, they handle alot better, just no flat out speed. but a fast truck does not win over a well driven truck! can only go fast with the wheels facing the dirt!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

can anyone really explain why the Jato isnt a truck that you would want to race with? is it simply because of the engine or just the whole setup? Also doesnt the XXX NT RTR come with a much better engine setup then the GT2? and which truck has better factory upgrade parts?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badKarma
can anyone really explain why the Jato isnt a truck that you would want to race with?
Originally Posted by way2fast4u
i have driven losi and gt trucks, they handle alot better, just no flat out speed. but a fast truck does not win over a well driven truck! can only go fast with the wheels facing the dirt!
The Jato would be great if this was a drag racing class, but if you want to do some offroad racing with it, it's going to require some time, patience, and money to end up with something that *might* be competitive. You're better off getting something that was designed strictly to race and tweaking it to your own personal taste rather than starting with "a truck" and trying to make it fast.

Look at my GT2, I've got it set up more for bashing than racing, what with the raised suspension, rollbar, and el cheapo motor, but throw a set of racing tires at it and it still hangs in there. I'd get smoked if I were to go up against a bunch of guys that really took their time in getting their trucks set up, but maybe they don't beat around with them as much as I do with mine.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

ok, so what are settings to start with either truck? should I just run it stock, or what are some upgrades that are neccesary to keep these things together from the beginning? Also, besides going straight through either Losi or Team Associated, what after market companies make parts for these trucks?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Speaking for the GT2, RPM control arms front and rear are a worthwile upgrade. The stock pieces are a little prone to breaking, but I've put a TON of miles on my truck this summer and still have the same RPM arms I put on in the spring. Different heim joints for the lower shock ends and rear turnbuckles would be a good idea as well, I have to say I'm not impressed by the stock ones. They may be large and beefy-looking, but I cracked 2 of them just inserting the ball centers, and stretched another in just 1 race.

Otherwise check to make sure you've got the right tires for the job and you should be set. I raced a traveling series this summer and got to run on a lot of different tracks, and I never really felt like I had to change the factory setup unless I wanted to.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

for racing you wont need much in the way of aftermarket parts.. just run it stock in the reccomended setup for a while. then decide what you want to change depending on your needs..

edit: one good thing for the captured ends is to get the traxxas ones,, they are strong enough and cheap to buy, just be sure you put the ae or losi balls in them the holes in the traxxas balls are a different size
Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

so no one here is advocating the XXX NT? my local hobby shop stocks parts for both, im thinking i may go with Losi just to be different... whats a good replacement .12 engine?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

if you want something that is a good all around motor that wont break the bank i could suggest a jammin .12 or the dynamite spd.12 if you want something with more everything then dynamite platinum 12 or the OS mills (Note: there have been a few problems with the recent batches of os 12 cv engines. they should have it fixed up soon if not already) the tg or if you can find it a cv-r (not the cv-rx) the cv-r is discontinued by Os but it is a very good engine to have.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by badKarma
so no one here is advocating the XXX NT? my local hobby shop stocks parts for both, im thinking i may go with Losi just to be different... whats a good replacement .12 engine?
I think Losi's abandoned the class, which means replacement parts could be in jeopardy in the future. I've heard people say that if you want to get into Gas Truck today but don't want to drop the money on a new or slightly used GT2, look for an original GT. I don't think the XXX-NT is considered a player in the class anymore, even though it is slightly more modern than the GT.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

agreed,, im one of the ft-gt loyalists there are situations where the improvements made in the gt-2 show up on the track but the 'original' gt is still a competitive truck.. plus with everyone flocking to the gt-2 it is very easy to find parts dirt cheap
Old 09-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

so in the 1/10 2WD Nitro truck class, what is competitive? Is the whole field running Associated? what other cars are competitive and have good part support?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

There's one guy in my area that is just flying around in a XXX-NT, but for the most part I see a lot of Associateds running out there, yeah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.