Wiki Posts
Search

Designing a track from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 03:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Designing a track from scratch

Hi.
I am starting to think about creating an off road track and eventually start a club in my area. (Long term plan).
Where do I start?
Can anybody send some links to some pics of existing tracks?
Are there anything that tracks must have for racing e.g. table top jumps or straights of a certain length?
Whats the best surface finish?
Whats the ultimate track? Whats the minimum?
What do you like? What don't you like?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I did this once!!!

The last track I built I started with graph paper, set each square as 1 foot. The plan got a bit big, I had a 70 x 96 foot space to build in.

You need 10 foot or wider lane.

Some kind of divider, I used pipe and bamboo (I live in Florida and it grows 10 foot from the track), allow for the size of divider in your plans. I allowed for 11 foot lanes which gave me 1 foot per lane for dividers.

Some kind of drivers stand, I used concrete block to build a three person stand, four foot tall.

Water <<<< most important part of a track WELL after the dirt/clay!!!!

Do a Google search for RC Tracks for pictures.

Do a google search for ramps for ideas of how to build them. The one's I found are for BMX and made of wood. Adjust the spec' to fit your needs.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I personally would love a more open, flowing track more like an on-road track with jumps. I can't stand tracks with a massive amount of hairpins and switchbacks. Also can't stand a track where every short straight travels only either perpindicular or parallel to the stand. Need some angled straights.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Check this for a picture: http://www.m40raceway.com/track.php
Old 08-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Biggest thing to do is leave areas for turn marshals to stand if you will do some club racing. My track has alot of straights wtih some sweepers and one hairpin turn. Its not the greatest track, but it works for where I have it on my property.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

check out any other local clubs of rc nature or hobby stores that would rent you an amb system for when you want to start racing. its tough for a new track to jump into a $5000.00 amb system its easier to rent and accumulate club funds and then later get the amb if the turn outs for the track are worth it.

good luck and plan on lots of hard work. you will find that everyone wants to run on a nice groomed track but few want to put forth the effort to make it happen.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TNX Pro
Hi.
I am starting to think about creating an off road track and eventually start a club in my area. (Long term plan).
Where do I start?
Can anybody send some links to some pics of existing tracks?
Are there anything that tracks must have for racing e.g. table top jumps or straights of a certain length?
Whats the best surface finish?
Whats the ultimate track? Whats the minimum?
What do you like? What don't you like?
A friend and I started my local race club in 2001. The offroad track we did is still running it’s our third year now. If you have property yourself to build it on is the best scenario. We have to pay rent for the use of our property so raising funds for the track takes a good regular amount of regular racers. I’ll list what the necessities to get started. Our track is a bit small in comparison it’s 40x100, I wouldn’t go any smaller if you could help it. Check out www.cumberlandrc.com plus the Nijad Xray video on the “pics/video” page that’s our current layout.

I gave myself $5,000.00 budget to buy the scoring system plus a laptop. If you have a laptop already that's a big savings. If you need to buy a new AMB scoring system ask your LHS owner to. It's in his best interest or I think it should be.

1. Property size enough – easier to find from major roads and highways the better
2. AMB scoring system-laptop and printer
3. clay base dirt
4. drivers stand
5. electricity
6. lighting if you plan on racing evenings
7. website to advertise it – Your LHS would be glad to display flyers I’m sure
8. Water for wetting the track
9. Shovels, rakes, wheel barrel, loam roller or wacker, a bobcat/skidsteer if possible
10. restroom facilities
11. Alot of patience especially if you plan on racing yourself. I race and announce the races. Which can be stressfully after you broke your back on the track and end up being the one with the least amount of time to enjoy it on racedays.
That’s the necessities. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by pablo101; 08-19-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah i was thinking of making a track, but i have no money to rent earth moving equipment, so i was going to mow the long grass into an oval (just for starters! i'll extend it if it works) and let the cars do the work of taking the turf off. should be fun nice loamy conditions too.