R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Nirto off road fuel?

I run truggy and on road. The fuel that I am running in my on and off road at the present time is ODonnell 30%. I use this fuel for both on and off road. It works great in my on road, but in my off road, my temps are a bit higher. I've shimmed my motors and tuned accordingly. My off road is shimmed at 1.01 for 30%.
I was gonna try the trick of using RTR fuel in my off road, but I don't want to over do it with high oil content that many fuels use.

From your experiances, which are the best Off road fuels ?

Last edited by GHETTOTEACHER; 08-16-2007 at 03:14 PM.
GHETTOTEACHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Well I cannot confirm this but I would imagine that offroad would run a little hotter due to the wheelspin, whenever you make the motor work hard because the power is not all being put on the ground your temps will be higher. Werks, O'donell, Nitrotane and all the other big name fuels are great and you shouldnt realy worry about a few degrees in temp. I am sure you have heard this before but I will say it again do not tune for temp, tune for performance, the only time lowering the temp will make more power is if it is overheating otherwise you are fine.
Nitro syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Tech Master

In the US www.cooperfuels.com by far the most technologically adavnced RC fuel on the market .
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

i ran type o for a long time then i made a change to byrons and my temps went down and so did my tuning time, glow plugs last longer and the power is great....however i am considering a change to werks....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Timmahh

im useing Byrons at 30%, runs great, tunes well. typically runs nice around 180 to 200 idle 215 to 240 on the top side, temps between 70 and nice to 95 and 100% humidity.

but is hear Rocket Science is the Shiznit. TQ Fuels looks to be pretty good too.
T
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562290-wreckluse-crawler-chassis-other-scaler-parts.html http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562534-hpi-baja-items-f-s-motor-rtr-tranny-full-wheel-sets-servos-more.html
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to 2bfast

tq is awesome i have been running it for a few months now.. i am very happy with its performance and tunability..

thank you team ocm
2bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think the relative difference in speed is making up for the difference in temps. On road is simply that much faster around the track and generates much more air flow to cool the engine, even with a smaller head on many on-road motors. When choosing an oil content I only go by run time. Just think, an engine that will dry a tank in 5 minutes is getting twice as much lubricating oil as one that will drain it in 10. That's an extreme case but it does represent the fact that to get similar lube through the engine, the 10 minute engine will require fuel with 2x as much oil. It's not perfect but it is reasonable.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbs3 View Post
I think the relative difference in speed is making up for the difference in temps. On road is simply that much faster around the track and generates much more air flow to cool the engine, even with a smaller head on many on-road motors. When choosing an oil content I only go by run time. Just think, an engine that will dry a tank in 5 minutes is getting twice as much lubricating oil as one that will drain it in 10. That's an extreme case but it does represent the fact that to get similar lube through the engine, the 10 minute engine will require fuel with 2x as much oil. It's not perfect but it is reasonable.
this may be true, but if the lube in the better run time fuel is a better oil and helps the engine to run cooler, and the oil in the lower run time fuel is crappy so that it runs hotter causing you to richen up the carb then isnt the better run time fuel with the better oil the way to go??? i would think so!!!!!!!
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Tech Addict

My example was suggesting that you are using the same fuel in two different engines. Of course better oils will work effectively in lower quantities but that's not my point. The original poster didn't mention what motors he was running but I can only assume a truggy and on road car are NOT using the same motors. For example I use Sidewinder fuel. I have the choice of either 10% or 12%. A C6 that burns 125cc's of the 10% oil in 7 minutes will get a very similar lube job as a Vspec that runs 10 mins/125cc of 12% oil.

This is why airplane fuel and car fuel is so drastically different. Air fuel runs typically 18-20% vs. car fuel at 8-12%. For the size, the airplane motors are very fuel efficient and need that extra percentage to get enough oil through it.

Back to the original question at hand. Your truggy runs hotter than your on road car. I would think so! It's a few pounds heavier and it's tires alone weigh 10x more! I've run a lot of O'Donnel and it's never failed to meet my expectations. If you don't have a need to change (like supply problems), then don't.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I have only tried 3 fuels. one was sidewinder 30% the other Odonnel 30% and Rocket Science. I did not care for the sidewinder at all. the other 2 I like both but I do think the Rocket Science produces more HP. I know a few guys that run for him and they say the oil's are so good you dont have to shim going to 30% However I still do. Also Kyle Skidmore told me that it makes so much power that he is running 10% in gas truck and 20% in his 1/8th scale. and anyone who knows Kyle knows he likes alot of motor. so Rocket Science gets my vote

Last edited by Mike Elam; 08-16-2007 at 11:08 PM. Reason: cant type
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:48 AM   #11
Tech Elite

TOTALLY my opinion, please take it as such:

Airplane fuels have more oil because those engines spend a lot more time at high RPM and at wide open.

Adjusting head clearance/deck height shouldn't really have anything to do with oil content, but instead the nitro percentage as you look to adjust ignition timing by raising or lowering compression. Deck height will also change the powerband of the engine.

A higher oil content will make the engine run hotter. More oil means less alcohol. Most of the bigger-name brand fuel companies use better oil in their low-oil content fuels, especially synthetic oils which provide more protection. RTR and sport fuels usually have more castor oil, which is cheaper than synthetic oil and provides a safety net for tuning errors (like running the engine too lean).

Off-road engines will run much hotter for a variety of reasons, the biggest being less and slower air flow. Wheelspin will make a difference, but not as much as clutch slippage. Off-road clutches engage at a lower RPM and often slip more than an on-road clutch, which will raise engine heat but is necessary to make the engine controllable.

As long as your engines are below 280 or so, temperature doesn't really mean much. If your engine isn't starving for fuel (too lean) and you can often see puffs of smoke under acceleration (but not always), your engine is getting proper lubrication and this means longer engine life.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

aaron do you know the oil percentage in nitrotane?
MikeFriery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:21 AM   #13
Tech Elite

No, I sure don't.

I run Trinity fuel.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 AM   #14
Tech Master

well then
Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 AM   #15
Tech Master

Well for my input on the thread.. im really happy with the way nitrotane runs.. I think it burns cleaner and has way more power than odonnel..i am worried it might be low on the oil side though..... hence the question