R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-17-2007, 07:50 AM   #16
Tech Elite

I do appreciate everything that all of you are saying. My Odonnell is running great in my on roads. Yes, I realize my truggy is a little bit heavier than my Serp 960. I was just wondering if off road fuel was blended differently than standard or race blend on road ?

I ran my truggy last weekend and started with good smoke on the corners and under hard excereration. I retune before each qual. I got bumped down to B main due to a bad marshal.. (refuesd to flip me over even with break on!). Needless to say, I came back and won the B and was immedietly put into the A. I swapped batteries, refuled and jumped in. when the race started, all was good, but I noticed my smoke(gone) and engine was sounding lean. I told my pit man to give me 30min fat. He did but then it sounded like the fuel was not holding up.
At home, I broke the motor down and saw that the piston was burned up and the button was black, but the plug was just a little caramel brown. They temped my motor (new motor) and it was 225 on the track.

I'm listening to you guys. This is my first year of running off road. I been racing on road for years. I am going to check out TQ,Byrons,Tornado and if I can find it, Rocket Science. Keep telling me what you think!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just one guys opinion, but as long as it's a reputible brand of fuel it should be fine for running off road. IMHO, fresh fuel is more important than brand. I currently use Bryons because that's what my LHS sells the most of which means I get the freshest fuel I can in my local area. I've run Blue Thunder, O'D, Maxy's, and Byrons and they all did the job just fine. I did get a bit more power for the same temps from Maxy's and would still run it if I could get it at a local shop, but none of them carry it anymore.
fhm555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER View Post
I do appreciate everything that all of you are saying. My Odonnell is running great in my on roads. Yes, I realize my truggy is a little bit heavier than my Serp 960. I was just wondering if off road fuel was blended differently than standard or race blend on road ?

I ran my truggy last weekend and started with good smoke on the corners and under hard excereration. I retune before each qual. I got bumped down to B main due to a bad marshal.. (refuesd to flip me over even with break on!). Needless to say, I came back and won the B and was immedietly put into the A. I swapped batteries, refuled and jumped in. when the race started, all was good, but I noticed my smoke(gone) and engine was sounding lean. I told my pit man to give me 30min fat. He did but then it sounded like the fuel was not holding up.
At home, I broke the motor down and saw that the piston was burned up and the button was black, but the plug was just a little caramel brown. They temped my motor (new motor) and it was 225 on the track.

I'm listening to you guys. This is my first year of running off road. I been racing on road for years. I am going to check out TQ,Byrons,Tornado and if I can find it, Rocket Science. Keep telling me what you think!
Off road fuel SHOULD be different to on road in its make up , oil wise and % of oil. Coloured internals of combustion engines is normal. When you run at a good tune ie not lean or rich then you can minimalise colouration . When its too rich you will colour your rod and bearings more , when its too lean it will tend to colour the piston and button more .. But even at a good tune colouration will occour. And dont worry about temps at all . 225 is almost cold.
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:41 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I ran offroad for 4 years before switching to onroad. Onroad engines run hotter than offroad engines. (especially the .12 engines) The reasons are pretty simple. Power is more important in onroad. Speed is a bigger part of a good onroad car than offroad. Onroad engines are running wide open more often and turn a lot more RPM. There is more airflow, but the higher speed puts out more heat than the extra airflow cools. Making runtime for a qualifier (5 mins) is a struggle in both 1/10th and 1/8th. We tune our engines as lean as we can to try and make runtime. Also, in 1/10th the cooling in the front windshield is smaller. In offroad, you can cut out half of the front windshild and teching that is by using your eye. In onroad we can cut a 60mm diameter hole. That is pretty big, but it is usually not in the optimum spot for cooling as most racers also cut that hold directly over the fuel tank and then refuel through the same hole. Also, as Aaron said, the cooling heads on the high end onroad engines keep getting smaller. Depending on the engine, temps of 260-290 are getting common.

That being said, I have just switched over to Nitrotane and think it is pretty good. I also asked about the oil percentage and was told by the team manager he really doesn't know. It really doesn't matter too much if you think about it. As long as there is enough. Enough depends on how lean you tune and what kinds of oil are used so the percentage is just a number that isn't that important.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #20
Tech Master

I was reading up on Nitrotane on the VP web site . not meaning to flame but im a bit worried about the dated info on the site. VP no longer have the strong hold on Nitro into the NHRA. The nitro supplies , as far as i know correct me if im wrong , is now open . id be interested in current info on this, sorry to digress. they also state that its made with genuine american nitro, seeing there is only one american nitro being Angus , whey dont they advertise it ? very curious ..
Engine development manager Rifling Pty Ltd. Nitro fuel designer : Neo + World record title holder 2012 Austalian Nationals 147.6 KPH , 1 st 2 nd and TQ Australian National Buggy titles 2012. Victorian State title 2012 Neo + , South Australian state title ON and Off Road 1/8 2012 Neo + :-) QLD State Titles 2012 1st buggy & trruggy + TQ Neo + MG66 RX7 1st Sportsman Class Truggy QLD State Titles 2012 !! Nitro Addicts Australia . com
MassiveMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMods View Post
I was reading up on Nitrotane on the VP web site . not meaning to flame but im a bit worried about the dated info on the site. VP no longer have the strong hold on Nitro into the NHRA. The nitro supplies , as far as i know correct me if im wrong , is now open . id be interested in current info on this, sorry to digress. they also state that its made with genuine american nitro, seeing there is only one american nitro being Angus , whey dont they advertise it ? very curious ..
You aren't flaming, but I don't understand your concerns/questions etc. The info I read on the VP site was posted in April. Not that old, but not yesterday either. VP is still a major producer of racing fuel. Regarding where they get their nitro. Many people get concerned about the quality of Chinese nitro. They say they use American nitro. If there is only one supplier, then that is most likely where they get it from. If I was making a product I would only tell enough that is necessary. If they tell the formula, then anyone could produce it. In the end, the best thing is to try it. If you like it, great. If you don't then we know there are plenty of different fuels available.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Personaly I use Byrons 30% and i think it is the best stuff ever made.
I have tried the big O bet didn't like it. Also I know that 2 factory Odonnell sponsored drivers switched to werks, Talor James and Steve Hale of Real rc.
I would try and ask around to some of your area's local fast guys are running, although you might be the local fast guy with that Amain finish nice job from the B.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

me and some other guys running cool power heli fuel. it's 30% nitro and 22% low viscosity synthetic oil.
after long use we have found that the engines wear slower than other fuels and stays clean without carbon inside. the only drawback is slower low end response (which is some cases make the engines more linear). and we also found that rb engines dont work with this fuel (we use it with radical, os and go tech without problem).
dotan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotan23 View Post
me and some other guys running cool power heli fuel. it's 30% nitro and 22% low viscosity synthetic oil.
after long use we have found that the engines wear slower than other fuels and stays clean without carbon inside. the only drawback is slower low end response (which is some cases make the engines more linear). and we also found that rb engines dont work with this fuel (we use it with radical, os and go tech without problem).
me and my buddy switched from Byrons to TQ Fuels not that we hated Byrons or LHS cant get it anymore so we switced over after meeting a guy in Vegas who has been runnig it for a long time. So far im lovin the TQ our motors have been running cooler,good low and top end speed and has good oil mix
Old 09-25-2007, 10:39 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Rosco

Almost 95% of the people who are serious about racing at my local club, run Werks and nothing else. People who switched from a lesser fuel (like me) noticed a BIG drop in tempurature, more power and longer lasting engines. Not to mention it seemed to make tuning easier, so less time spent fiddling with needles and more time burning the track up

I run Werks 30% and nothing else, its just a great fuel. Smells good when it burns too
Grande Prairie Electric Winter Cup 2007 2nd place 1/10th
GPMRA 2007 Outdoor 1/8 Buggy Champion
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Scott, are you running Nitrotane in your on-road engines? I have been running Tornado in my sedan and really like it. The only problem is the cost, at about $30 for a small can is too much for me. Now that I am going to try offroad I figured I'd run Nitrotane in both, but wondered what your results are for on-road.

Thanks
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #27
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to RACING MASON
Cool

I moved to TQ fuels and found my trk running cooler.
Revo
CEN Matrix TR FRE
RACING MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Well, I made the totall switch to Tornado. I run the off road formula and the thing stays COLD!! After a 30 min main my motor turned only 225 with strong power! I do wish I could get the 5 Liter in 25%. Due to the colder weather, I'm going to the on road fuel at 25%. I made this switch because of the on road performance of this fuel. At 25% this fuel makes more power than any of my O'Donnells 30% at a cooler temp.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #29
Tech Master

I've used alot of different fuels over the years, on & off road. I like Byrons 25% now & I'm sticking with it.
-ROAR 4 cell rule Blows
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Black

I run ColdFusion and I freakin' love it! i have run O'Donnell and liked and then ran Byrons and HATED it. I felt as if it made my stuff run hotter. Try Coldfusion, call Vernon Cook for some more info 352-342-4400.
Black is offline   Reply With Quote