R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default ONCE YOU GO NITRO YOU NEVER GO BACK....LOL

So is this true. Once you go nitro you never go back......to electric?

Are you addicted to the sound and smell?

Or would you ever try a brushless lipo set up 8th scale if it gave you more run time and a better linear feel.

RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Electrics feel like toys to me. Nitros feel like race cars. It's the noise and excitement generated by nitro that is missing in electrics.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

Actually, this weekend was the first time I saw an 1/8th scale truggy running with the brushless/lipo setup. And I can actually say, I was really impressed. It kept up with the nitro-truggies extremely well and the runtime was about 15 to 20 minutes. But overall, I like the noise and the puff from the exhaust on the nitro b/truggies!!! And the nitro are still more aggressive in terms of bottom and top end. So like you said, once you go nitro, you never go back!!! I have a 8th scale buggy and I am planning on buy an 8th scale truggy and running both classes!!! I'm hooked on 1/8th scale nitro!!! I think that it is the perfect scale vs. power model.
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I think for most, it's the sensory overload you get. The noise; the smoke; the smell. I came from an electric background and I too am hooked for those reasons. But I'll be doing indoor electric on-road once the snow starts to fly...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Same for me, I started 1/8 buggy last summer and I am now hooked forever. Nitro is seasonal were I'm at, so when winter hits it's back to indoor offroad with 2wd mod.
porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

We have a large indoor offroad nitro track here in Chicagoland so we race all year. Even with exhaust fans the fumes get a bit too much on the large race days when we have 120 entrants though. And there have been a few days when the track temp was like 20 degrees. But, overall, I'd still rather race nitro anyday.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I started with electric about 20 years ago. Ran my first gas race last summer. Couldnt stand it. It's ok now, but I would rather race electric. Cleaner, smoother, more precise.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Started in Electric, not going back anytime soon. The main thing I really like about Nitro is that it takes more than driving skill, takes some engine tuning skill and Lady Luck....

Electric, if you've got the money you can buy the kick-butt set-up, sure you still have to be able to drive, but you don't have to tune!

I like the sound, the smell, the whole deal!
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the thing I love most about nitro, the fastest guy doesn't always win. I know this may sound discouraging to electric guys who consider themselves fast, but it's true. If your car isn't well maintained, your most likely not going to win. Simple things like a badly tuned engine, blown differentials/shocks. Anyone thing can take you out.

You may ask why I like this, it's because I'm not always the fastest guy on the track. But I maintain my equipment well, and I can drive a clean wreck free race if I concentrate hard enough. I know if I'm going to lose it's because of the way I drove, and not how my car handled/preformed. On top of it all, having a good pit man is essential. I've seen plenty of fast guys lose 5-7 second leads because their pit guy wasn't on his game. If I can't make up the time on the track, sometimes my pit man can give me an edge by being lightning fast. It just adds another dimension to racing that electric doesn't.

I sold the last bit of my electric stuff earlier this summer, and I haven't regreated it one bit. I've raced 1/8th scale buggy for the past 3 years, and also Used to race truggy as well. I'd like to buy another truggy, but with a new house and car, it has to hold off untill I get rich.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

The teamwork necessary in nitro is a great point! I have a great team of 3 other guys and that adds greatly to the fun of it all. We have pit strategies and even practice fuel stops. That's something electrics don't have.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #11
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

I started racing with electric offroad from 2000-2004 in Mod 2wd/4wd/Truck and also with a bit of 1/10 nitro truck until I finally got bored and raced way less than when I was first active. After that, it was 1/8 nitro buggy that got me interested in racing again. From just the size of the cars to having to have a well setup car in order to race well in many dimensions was what fueled my interest.

Unfortunately, where I live as do many others, we'll have to go inside once winter comes around. But I don't enjoy electric nearly as much as nitro, and I'm seriously contemplating selling my electric stuff and traveling to some indoor nitro tracks to get my winter racing needs.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Gas and brushless electric for me. I like em both. Two different types of racing, sprint and distance both are fun. Sometimes I need a break from nitros and plug & play of electric is just the needed remedy.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Timmahh

Try Gas!
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562290-wreckluse-crawler-chassis-other-scaler-parts.html http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562534-hpi-baja-items-f-s-motor-rtr-tranny-full-wheel-sets-servos-more.html
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

i tried electric and i hated it and will never buy another electric model again....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Pre-mature E-postulation, I wasn't finished. my real one is below