R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #106
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

jason, i can hack it in nitro offroad, but with our lhs not stocking any common parts as you know, its frustrating having a breakdown and waiting forever to get parts. i dont buy much online using credit cards or whatever( i hate cc). its just easier to build and setup electric for me with my hectic days. plus driving to manvel to practice and race is a pain in the arse. so hopefully well see you at the carpet races this winter?????

"Donnie, your out of your element"
Dave Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #107
Tech Master

I've gone back & forth a couple of times. Raced electric in the early 80's, got out for a few years (Flying instead). Got back into it in the mid 90's, first 1/10 nitro on road then 1/10 nitro off road. Later 90's 1/8th off road & then in about 99 added 1/10 electric. Ran both 1/8 nitro & 1/10 electric offroad until 2002. Then all nitro 1/8 off road until just recently started up with electric off road again and am considering getting out of nitro compleatly. Why you ask. Well when I look back at it what I see is that I was running what ever gave me the most oppertunity to run. In other words when I ran electric there were more places to run electric. When I ran 1/8 nitro, there were a few tracks to run at. When I ran 1/10 nitro sedan, there were no off road tracks near by. ETC, ETC. It's ALL racing & ALL fun so one should never get hung up on "what is better" because "what is better" changes all the time. As far as driving skills & difficulty I rank offroad as follows(for me):
Easiest to drive too hardest.
1/8 monster trucks nitro
1/8 buggy nitro
1/10 4wd electric
1/10 2wd electric truck
1/10 2wd electric buggy
1/10 2wd nitro (gas truck)
RBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #108
Tech Elite

I love nitro and that is it. During the winter I think most of us that want to keep our skills up to speed, we turn to electric.
Electric is not easy. You have to know everything about brushes, coms, batteries, chargers, dischargers, sodering,,,etc. Electric is just not my thing. There are many guys out there that are really good with the quiet cars. The funny thing that I have noticed is I have seen more fights at electric tracks than nitro!!

Nitro is just like the real thing when it comes to the stimuli. The noise, smell, fuel, speed and the frantic nature of trying to get your car/truck ready before the next round!! 30-45 min mains. Hell, being a marshal in a bad part of the track is exciting! You are cheating death in some cases. It is just more exciting and involving. You are just plain tired after a tough nitro off/on road race. Just my opinion.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #109
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well gas and electric both have there own rewards.
I spent the day at the track breaking in a V-Spec .21 And man that thing was exciting. It was a lot of work to do it right, but its ready for Friday night.
I must say it feels good to get back to some gas racing. It got the heart pumping. Kinda like a mod electric in the heat of battle.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
jason, i can hack it in nitro offroad, but with our lhs not stocking any common parts as you know, its frustrating having a breakdown and waiting forever to get parts. i dont buy much online using credit cards or whatever( i hate cc). its just easier to build and setup electric for me with my hectic days. plus driving to manvel to practice and race is a pain in the arse. so hopefully well see you at the carpet races this winter?????
i guess i doent mind driving 10 miles to practice, and if you get a good kit there will not be so many breaks....there is always KRC Products to get your parts at, ill never buy from hobbytown ever again....

also i doent think your gonna see me carpet racing, cost to much to be that boring....

Last edited by Jason Halvorson; 08-22-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #111
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

jason, i know i got a crappy nitro truck for my first outing in nitro, but parts that wear out normally werent available( like clutch bell bearings). but to each his own. you prefer nitro and i prefer electric. were all r/c drivers at heart so why does this thread seem to be taking a nasty turn with people attcking each other?? CAN WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?????????

"Donnie, your out of your element"
Dave Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:59 AM   #112
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Timmahh

for me it Gasser 2strokes. hr run time, no tuning issues for the most part, they are durable, and gas is only 3.50/ Gallon.
but I enjoy running a bit of nitro too.

electrics are ok, but not for me. i will get one elec 1/10th offroader so i can get my 5 yr old nephew into RCing, but then when hes a bit older, its to nitro then gas we will go.

T
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562290-wreckluse-crawler-chassis-other-scaler-parts.html http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562534-hpi-baja-items-f-s-motor-rtr-tranny-full-wheel-sets-servos-more.html
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #113
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash View Post
I started with electric about 20 years ago. Ran my first gas race last summer. Couldnt stand it. It's ok now, but I would rather race electric. Cleaner, smoother, more precise.
+1

I come from an electric background and tried monster truck along with the electrics back in 2004. After about 1 year of running it, I sold my gas and haven't raced nitro since. Gas is just for those that love to bash and hit stuff; whereas, electric is racing side by side.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #114
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
+1

I come from an electric background and tried monster truck along with the electrics back in 2004. After about 1 year of running it, I sold my gas and haven't raced nitro since. Gas is just for those that love to bash and hit stuff; whereas, electric is racing side by side.
Gas is just for bashing and there is no side by side racing???

Dude I feel sorry for you. The competition in your area must SUCK. LOL If you have never been to a high level 1/8th race (not a saturday night special but one of the major events) you haven't seen close racing. The first 25 minutes of the Truggy Nats last weekend had no more than a couple seconds between 1st thru 3rd. If you want really close racing go spend a small fortune and race Touring Cars. LOL

I started in electric like most but my background was MX/SX racing. I only picked the hobby up because I broke both my wrists racing. Figured I wasn't gonna be the next Jeremy McGrath so I started racing RC's in the ealry 90's. 2wheel mod is BY FAR the hardest class to compete in. I did it and had fun but was never a threat up front with the competition back in the day at Coral Springs. Gas truck hit the scene and I fell in love with the sound, smell and tuning aspect of them vs flashlights. Never looked back. Gas has completely dominated electric racing in the last 5 years here in FL. I just made a trade the other day thou for my first flashlight in years. I'm gonna try my hand at Brushless/Lipo mod truck. LOL oh the kicker is I'm gonna race it in the gas truck class on Saturday nights. Pit stops and all. Shouldn't have any trouble making 15 minutes.
rdeppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #115
Tech Elite

I like the big Gas cars and boats !! You are right about the run time! A hour is a long time and the engines almost never need tuning. I have two gas boats. I have to recharge reciever batteries before refuleing. It's not nitro, but gas has its simularities. Just don't get run over by one of those 1/5 scales on the track!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

True. Gas trucks and boats is where its at. I gave up on electric once I got my LST2 back in Feb. Now I own this a Blacj Jack 26 with a .18 OS(insane) and a CRT.5.

I recently sold my XXX-T, TC4, and my XRAY T1. And I'll soon be putting my GTB with a 4.5 and a 7.5 for sale on ebay as well.

The only electrics that I have fun with now are my 1 1/6th brushless AE18R and my MLST2. And I'm even thinking about selling those!!
losifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #117
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
+1

Sounds like your monster truck class is similar to ours; just a bunch of Bubbas out there breaking stuff. If I raced in the MT class, I would probably feel the same way.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #118
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
One last thing, I know you gas guys are gonna hate me for this, but I hate Nitro Monster trucks! It's like barely controlled Chaos, and marshalling for them is even worse. I have permanent ankle scars because of them, and they can never wait to be marshalled. They just spin their wheels untill they either flip over (which they then continue to spin their wheels) or wreck someone else.Ok, I'm done with that, I still love every other nitro class!
I wouldn't go as far to say that every gas class is for bashers. Monster truck, I would agree, but most of the guys I race against in 1/8th buggy are pretty good at keeping it on the track and in the groove!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #119
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeppen View Post
Gas is just for bashing and there is no side by side racing???

Dude I feel sorry for you. The competition in your area must SUCK. LOL If you have never been to a high level 1/8th race (not a saturday night special but one of the major events) you haven't seen close racing. The first 25 minutes of the Truggy Nats last weekend had no more than a couple seconds between 1st thru 3rd. If you want really close racing go spend a small fortune and race Touring Cars. LOL

I started in electric like most but my background was MX/SX racing. I only picked the hobby up because I broke both my wrists racing. Figured I wasn't gonna be the next Jeremy McGrath so I started racing RC's in the ealry 90's. 2wheel mod is BY FAR the hardest class to compete in. I did it and had fun but was never a threat up front with the competition back in the day at Coral Springs. Gas truck hit the scene and I fell in love with the sound, smell and tuning aspect of them vs flashlights. Never looked back. Gas has completely dominated electric racing in the last 5 years here in FL. I just made a trade the other day thou for my first flashlight in years. I'm gonna try my hand at Brushless/Lipo mod truck. LOL oh the kicker is I'm gonna race it in the gas truck class on Saturday nights. Pit stops and all. Shouldn't have any trouble making 15 minutes.
Well I can say except for the FL state offroad series and the large events, any other gas racing in North Florida is not that exciting. It looks like the gas is smaller now in Florida than a few years ago and the BL/Lipo is the next big thing. Funny how all the gas people talk about how great gas is and how the electric stuff is dieing/dead but when the 1/8 electric conversions run the gas folk cry about how unfair the electrics are. As for touring cars, I thought this was the "offroad" forum and therefore about offroad stuff.

A few guys here are good at gas but when I see guys that can't even keep their sh!t running for more than a few minutes, how are they ever going to learn how to setup a gas vehicle. The only thing that help gas grow so much was the RTR's. When they are new and run, it's great but see how many are still running after a few tanks. At our local track, I've seen more gas folks selling their stuff and getting electrics every day. I purchased a nitro 1/8 scale and will probably convert it to electrics before I ever race it or just use it for playing/bashing.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #120
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
actually, the exhausts on nitro's ARE silencers, have you ever heard a nitro without the exhaust? it hurts! i crashed my firestorm, and the exhaust header was loose and it fell off. i normally put my finger over the pipe to stop it, but err no pipe? so i pinched the fuel tube, and i had to stand there over the car, all the neigbours curtain twitching to see what the hell that racket was... and about emissions, depending on your fuel, roughly 60-70% of the fuel is methanol, which has very low emissions. so all the enviro-nazis need to make us do is run 16%...
This was a while back, but I'll respond anyway. The exhaust on your nitro engine is an expansion chamber, just like on a 2 stroke moto or kart engine. It creates and shapes a reverse pressure wave so that the new mixture doesn't chase the exhaust out of the engine. It may MUFFLE the sound, but it aint a silencer.
On my shifter I have an expansion chamber, then I have a separate glass packed SILENCER behind that.
mfishel is offline   Reply With Quote