R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nottingham,MD
Posts: 200
Default JP V Spec any reviews?

hey guys I have heard good things about the V Spec and the EB mod version also and thinking of getting one for my MBX5R but I found out that JP made a V spec version. Do you guys have any feed back on the JP engine perform, reli,etc is it worth $450? any feed back will be much helpful.
younghovaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
rezenclowd3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Solvang, CA
Posts: 2,367
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3
Default

I do not see any point in buying a mod motor unless you can already put VERY low consistent lap times in. The stock v-spec is an animal already...
__________________
OOMSGFX.COM (no longer painting, but take a look for fun!), Roadrunners RC Club
"Racing drivers have balls, unfortunately, none of them are crystal" (David Coulthard)
"I believe the average IQ of a NASCAR fan is only marginally above the things that hit the windscreen during the race. "
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Tech Regular
 
KForce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 306
Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default

can you even buy them anymore? and i know there is 0 parts for them.
__________________
Team TQ Fuel

OS Speed Engines
Futaba
Panther Tires

CRCRC Raceway Webmaster
FullThrottle Raceway Webmaster
KForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 227
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

i ran the jp vspec in my mugen truggy, its a sick engine. most likely youll never find a track where u can use its full potential........my advice is buy it if your wallet is fat enough!
DotyThe8ight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
xlgraphicspro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 2,052
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I know this thread is about the JP modded v-spec, but I had a chance to see some one use the O.S. Speed version of the v-spec at our recent pro series race. It was in one of the intermediate classes, but the car actually looked like is was about to lift off the ground and catch air going down the back stretch. It was insane and obviously overpowered, i also saw 2 guys running stock v-specs put a lap or 2 on him. So what does that tell ya?
__________________
TeamXray RCAmerica Hudy Xlgraphicspro Paint/ Impulse-Rc Clutch shoes.
Xray XB 808 O.S. Speed Or Ninja JX
xlgraphicspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
tdeal823's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North West, Ohio
Posts: 951
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

its all about the driver of the car. I hate the stock vspec it sucks a@@ compared to the ebmods and the speed. the stock motor its to much of a light switch very hard to drive and it tosses bearings every 3-5 gallons. the ebmods has more power and a smother power band. I found that i was much more consistent with the ebmods motor and I have ran one ebmods past the 10 gal mark with the original tko's that they prepare the engine with. my speed is sooo smooth and soo powerful its a awesome motor for my heavy crt truggy. all the power you would want with run times 8.5-10 min. I will never buy a stock vspec for 275 +40 in bearings when you can buy a EBMods Vspec for 375.
thats my 2 cents if you are a descent driver and know how to setup your vehicle you can use the ebmods and love it
get a os 2050 or 2060 pipe to match or a jp3 is ok to
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nottingham,MD
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeal823 View Post
its all about the driver of the car. I hate the stock vspec it sucks a@@ compared to the ebmods and the speed. the stock motor its to much of a light switch very hard to drive and it tosses bearings every 3-5 gallons. the ebmods has more power and a smother power band. I found that i was much more consistent with the ebmods motor and I have ran one ebmods past the 10 gal mark with the original tko's that they prepare the engine with. my speed is sooo smooth and soo powerful its a awesome motor for my heavy crt truggy. all the power you would want with run times 8.5-10 min. I will never buy a stock vspec for 275 +40 in bearings when you can buy a EBMods Vspec for 375.
thats my 2 cents if you are a descent driver and know how to setup your vehicle you can use the ebmods and love it
get a os 2050 or 2060 pipe to match or a jp3 is ok to
Thanks I heard the eb mod version is good and Ed has done a P5 for me back in he day.
younghovaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
Tech Addict
 
DRKWNG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: St. Louis, Mo
Posts: 558
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I feel the Stock V-spec is all a person will ever need. Granted the Eb Mod is smoother but it doesn't make a big enough difference that a average driver will even notice. The 07 V-spec has the upgraded bearing and the stronger case so you won't have any bearing issues. My advise get the stock one and save $100.
DRKWNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
xlgraphicspro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 2,052
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKWNG View Post
I feel the Stock V-spec is all a person will ever need. Granted the Eb Mod is smoother but it doesn't make a big enough difference that a average driver will even notice. The 07 V-spec has the upgraded bearing and the stronger case so you won't have any bearing issues. My advise get the stock one and save $100.
I AGREE 100% Smoothness is in the hand of the controller! Throttle control, Mine has never felt like a light switch.

There is a perfect section of our track that illustrates that perfectly. their is a set of double jumps on the front strech you have to just barely roll over then another single jump right before you gun it to clear a hugh Triple, you then end it by flowing over an off camber jump that goes down and around another turn and your on your way. This area demands smoothness and if your not smooth you'll over jump the double single, and come up short on the triple. Then your screwed, and most likely will end upside down, or nosed into a railroad tie.

The V-spec is smooth enough to get the job done with ease. plus my local hobby shop sells the stock 07 v-spec for $259.99 No new bearings needed!
__________________
TeamXray RCAmerica Hudy Xlgraphicspro Paint/ Impulse-Rc Clutch shoes.
Xray XB 808 O.S. Speed Or Ninja JX
xlgraphicspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nottingham,MD
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
I AGREE 100% Smoothness is in the hand of the controller! Throttle control, Mine has never felt like a light switch.

There is a perfect section of our track that illustrates that perfectly. their is a set of double jumps on the front strech you have to just barely roll over then another single jump right before you gun it to clear a hugh Triple, you then end it by flowing over an off camber jump that goes down and around another turn and your on your way. This area demands smoothness and if your not smooth you'll over jump the double single, and come up short on the triple. Then your screwed, and most likely will end upside down, or nosed into a railroad tie.

The V-spec is smooth enough to get the job done with ease. plus my local hobby shop sells the stock 07 v-spec for $259.99 No new bearings needed!
Best price I've heard! What is the name and # of your local hobby shop?
younghovaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
xlgraphicspro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 2,052
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

It's the Hobby town USA in Omaha Nebraska AKA The Hobbyplex. I'm pretty sure they don't take orders, but who knows they might. # 402-498-8888

Taxes and shipping will drive that price up, your best bet is to buy it in person if your close.
__________________
TeamXray RCAmerica Hudy Xlgraphicspro Paint/ Impulse-Rc Clutch shoes.
Xray XB 808 O.S. Speed Or Ninja JX
xlgraphicspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 PM   #12
Tech Champion
 
Matt Howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Abilene TX
Posts: 5,952
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
It's the Hobby town USA in Omaha Nebraska AKA The Hobbyplex. I'm pretty sure they don't take orders, but who knows they might. # 402-498-8888

Taxes and shipping will drive that price up, your best bet is to buy it in person if your close.
come on Matt, you know the Plex doesn't do mail order or anything like that
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice
 
SkeeryJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 77
Default

how do you know the vspec is an 07 version?
SkeeryJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
xlgraphicspro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 2,052
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
come on Matt, you know the Plex doesn't do mail order or anything like that
They did once for some guy with a plane engine. but your better off going to the store anyhow!
__________________
TeamXray RCAmerica Hudy Xlgraphicspro Paint/ Impulse-Rc Clutch shoes.
Xray XB 808 O.S. Speed Or Ninja JX
xlgraphicspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #15
Tech Elite
 
xlgraphicspro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 2,052
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeryJones View Post
how do you know the vspec is an 07 version?
Batch codes on the box, and you can call O.S to confirm. They move so many of them at our store, that it would be a fluke to get an old one!
__________________
TeamXray RCAmerica Hudy Xlgraphicspro Paint/ Impulse-Rc Clutch shoes.
Xray XB 808 O.S. Speed Or Ninja JX
xlgraphicspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All my reviews. romuald31 Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 35 12-02-2013 07:01 AM
All my reviews. romuald31 Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 0 02-21-2008 12:07 PM
Engine reviews...? vti-chris Electric Off-Road 0 05-11-2007 03:00 AM
Reviews TaRo Electric Off-Road 7 03-28-2006 12:09 AM
Reviews TaRo Singapore R/C Racers 2 03-26-2006 05:28 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:06 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net