R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-14-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Thinking of nitro-off road

I am going to be getting into off-road nitro here in the near future...I hear the nearest track (Mobile, Alabama) has quite a turn out and is starting a truggy group.......
Would a revo 2.5 with a good set up stand a chance against a newer 1/8 truggy? I know that the most important thing is practice...regardless of the class.....but are the two vehicles in the same class?
Thanks.......
hogdaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

The Revo is considered a Standard Monster Truck and would race in that class. It has an actual transmission which is the major difference between in it and a truggy, which only has a center differential transferring power from the engine to the driveline.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the clarification.......
looks like I may have to tell the wife that I Need to get a truggy or buggy to race......then run in 2 classes
Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

I suggest stopping at the track and talking with the fast guys. Make friends. Then buy what they are driving and get tips from them and here.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yep, both guys are right. The Revo is an awesome monster truck. Not at truggy. Even with the center diff in the revo it becomes just a crappy truggy but a killer monster truck. It is a MT, it was designed that way.

If you have something along the lines of what the locals are running it will be much easier. More fun too. Others can help a lot easier instead of guessing at what might help you when they don't understand what vehicle you have. Lots of people like to be different, I have a friend that is stubborn like this, and it makes it somewhat frustrating to not get help from friends.
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

thanks for the input...
another "dumb" question......
what is the main difference between buggies and truggies....is it mainly suspension travel and body?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Truggies are way easier to drive. Buggies require a lot more control (skill). I don't have the skill to drive my buggy as fast as my truggy.

truggies have longer suspension arms, drive shafts, chassis, turnbuckles, and sometimes shocks and shock towers. Thus giving them more weight. Plus they use larger and wider wheels and tires. All of this gives them the ability to fly into corners hard and come out full throttle. They are fun to drive and they are fast. But if you want to develop skill, a 2wd nitro stadium truck or a nitro buggy will make you learn. I wish I would have started with the 2wd. My start was in buggy. It was hard to learn to go slow and let the chassis work. A stadium truck would have taught me quickly.
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if they dont have gas trucks (2wd) you can start out in buggy just get a good 3 port (novarosi bf21 or rb S3). if you have raced with electric 2wd before it wont be too hard to learn the speeds. getting a too fast of an engine may look/feel cool but it also can and probably will make you slower.
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

*Drumroll*

Here's my worthless opinion on the subject...

MT Revo racers tracks I've frequented in the past seem to spend more money on the Monster Trucks (MT) in order to get them into 'race worthy' shape (Not breaking as many parts). That statement seems to apply to all MT racers I've known.

Truggies are designed for racing from the 'git go... They seem to spend less money getting them 'race worthy', however, some of the guys dump a ton of money into making their truggy ultra competative...

I think from a club racing perspective, Truggies can be cheaper to race, both long and short term depending on the kit you buy.

The Hyper ST Pro is a great deal, and really competative, it is one of many choices that you have in terms of Truggies.

You should try driving both - make friends with some racers in both classes and get them to let you drive their rig for a few laps. Buy which ever class you have more fun driving.

If you want to become a driver with mad skillz quickly, Stadium trucks are the best way to go, from what I've seen.

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Rosco

Wow some good information so far from the posts of the guys here, all of it is pretty much bang on, I would heed all of it exactly as they have said.

To emphasize on what the previous posts mentioned, if you want to get into RACING and not just bashing then get with the fastest guys at the track and start making friends. Alot of the guys who are into the club may or may not have the time to help answer all of your questions so the best time to bother someone about RC tips hints and suggestions is when they aren't busy.

Ask a few questions about their equipment, be polite and remember what they said. If you make friends easily, they may let you try something which will give you an idea of what you may want to buy. I could have saved myself thousands of dollars if I had just bought what the fast guys were using. Also the benifit of running what the best guys use, is that they can offer alot of setup tips, suggestions and equipment reccomendations that you may not think about.

There is one guy who is getting into RC racing, and instead of listening to our suggestions and equipment tips, he went and bought a CEN Arena TR RTR which is a Truggy made by CEN racing and is a ready to run kit, which comes with everything he needs to race. Now because he bought a kit that no one here runs or knows about, he has next to no help with the machine because we simply have never seen one before and its different enough that we can offer very little tips on it. He also asks ALOT of silly questions, and sometimes asks the same question over a few times which after a while no one really wants to help someone who doesn't listen to help, is too lazy to put together a proper kit and doesn't like to work on his RC's.

Hope some of that helped ya
Grande Prairie Electric Winter Cup 2007 2nd place 1/10th
GPMRA 2007 Outdoor 1/8 Buggy Champion
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the input.
I have posted a few questions on the tracks forum, as the track is over an hour away.
Hopefully I will get a few replies in the coming week.
When I started in electric touring cars the guys at the track were super-valuable welths of knowledge! and the fact that they were on a local forum made their knowledge even easier to access!

Thanks
Old 08-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdaddy77 View Post
Thanks for the input.
I have posted a few questions on the tracks forum, as the track is over an hour away.
Hopefully I will get a few replies in the coming week.
When I started in electric touring cars the guys at the track were super-valuable welths of knowledge! and the fact that they were on a local forum made their knowledge even easier to access!

Thanks

if you have been racing touring car then learning to wheel an 1/8 will not be a dela at all for you. the biggest will be figuring out the timing needed to jump and down the jumps to be smooth and quick. also i would opt for the class that hass the most racers in it. that way if guys go missing by whatever reason, work, family stuff, or out of town race you still have a good chance of racing that day since there are more guys running that class. plus the more in one class offers that much more competition.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
I could have saved myself thousands of dollars if I had just bought what the fast guys were using.
Rosco is spot on here... I could've saved myself thousands as well... You live and learn, I guess!

Quote:
if you have been racing touring car then learning to wheel an 1/8 will not be a dela at all for you. the biggest will be figuring out the timing needed to jump and down the jumps to be smooth and quick. also i would opt for the class that hass the most racers in it. that way if guys go missing by whatever reason, work, family stuff, or out of town race you still have a good chance of racing that day since there are more guys running that class. plus the more in one class offers that much more competition.
I concur with AZBobby as well regarding picking the class with lots of participants. I skimmed your original post and missed the part where you said you had Electric Touring Car experience. That will pay big dividends in nitro classes - especially if you use the throttle sparingly... I've seen a few guys who were big into electric buggies (1/10th) switch to nitro 1/8th and just fly. They know how to carry corner speed, brake just enough, and use the throttle as little as needed. In summary, they are smooooooooth.

Smooth is fast.

rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote