R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gsracer
Default Buy now or wait for new models

Now that the Rc8 is coming out and losi has been out what are your guys and gals thoughts if you were going to buy in the next three months
gsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Timmahh

nothing, i ve bought WAY to much in the last yr already. lol
gonna drive/maintain what i have and selling what i dont use/need.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562290-wreckluse-crawler-chassis-other-scaler-parts.html http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562534-hpi-baja-items-f-s-motor-rtr-tranny-full-wheel-sets-servos-more.html
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

I don't see an update to the 8 for a long time as it doesn't need any, and I am quite sure the RC8 will be also excellent. Either way, you can't go wrong with any of the current generation buggies. Buy what you like, or if you wait, try both out when someone you know gets the RC8. Just make sure both are setup well; otherwise your "testing" is in vain.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'd wait for the ae buggy. I was thinking of getting the losi, I think it looks like a great buggy. But my mugen is fine for the amount of racing I do with 1/8. Probably will sell the moogin come end of fall and see what happens next summer.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Tech Regular

They are all pretty much equal. Some brands will do better depending on driving style and track, but your best bet is to buy something you have easy acess to parts for.

Sponsors:
~JConcepts~CPR Adrenaline~Shellz custom painting(me)~Team Dirtheaven~
Z_Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

not planning to buy either the eight or the RC8, however i do plan on moving away from my jammin buggy to another older but proven chassis the mugen MBX5R, and maybe the MBX6 when it comes out....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well it all depends on whether or not you want to race NOW, or in 3 months?

All of the top buggies are capable of winning so it's really just preference and which you can get setup help and parts support for. I've driven a Kyosho, Mugen, Jammin, and Losi all from A main drivers in our series and they are all great cars, just different.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Xray, Losi, Mugen, Jammin, and Kyosho are all have great buggys and you cant go wrong with any of them, personaly I would get a Xray if I were to get one right now but the Team Associated looks to be nice and wouldnt mind seeing what it has to offer.
Nitro syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thats 3 months of missed practice!
Frost99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:07 AM   #10
Tech Regular

the new turboed magic be should competive with a very advanced lay out to boot,you don`t see much inovation in the other buggys except for the losi,the rc8 is a kyosho copy with shocks limited to a incline only whats up with that and mugen made it more difficult to put the body on with the narrower front shock tower and put an elbow in the upper suspension arm freakin geniuses,none of the manufactuers seem willing to advance there designs in case of ridicule that comes from the natural trial and error process or there just been bloody tight arses,if they don`t progress we will be stuck with the same boring designs for the next ten years(sound pretty bias don`t i)

Last edited by pitdog; 08-14-2007 at 02:27 AM. Reason: spelling
pitdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:53 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The operative words here are "Should Be competitive"....

And being different for the sake of being different just doesn't cut it. Innovative design has to come with a benefit such as improved performance and NOT just on paper, in the real-world. Even if it has an advanced layout thats all good and well, but if it can't get you into the winner's circle it might as well have "big tits" on it cause looking at it is all its gonna be good for...

The standard M1B was "supposed to be competitive" but isn't/wasn't. Not even after a full year in the states, they bring out the "Turbo". A buggy in less than a year goes from selling at 689.99 to 399.99 on Amainhobbies.com who seem to drop the price by 10.00 bucks a week...

IMO, until TM proves itself and doesn't lose its only named Sponsored driver, Dave Crompton, to the likes of HoBao, I'd stick to the tried and true proven designs of Mugen, Kyosho, and the likes of those. Ones that have a history winning the big races and continues to...

I had two M1Bs, sold one for next to nothing and can't get anything for my other as everyone knows better than to buy one of these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdog View Post
the new turboed magic be should competive with a very advanced lay out to boot,you don`t see much inovation in the other buggys except for the losi,the rc8 is a kyosho copy with shocks limited to a incline only whats up with that and mugen made it more difficult to put the body on with the narrower front shock tower and put an elbow in the upper suspension arm freakin geniuses,none of the manufactuers seem willing to advance there designs in case of ridicule that comes from the natural trial and error process or there just been bloody tight arses,if they don`t progress we will be stuck with the same boring designs for the next ten years(sound pretty bias don`t i)
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

Default which nitro buggy to buy?

Hi, i intend to go into 1/8 nitro buggy. I am deciding either to buy Kyosho mp 777 wc or Team xray xb8ec. I am looking into performance and life cycle cost. Someone has suggested Hobao hyper7 which is cheaper. What do you think? Any comment would be appreciated. Thanks
fulcrum07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

AE- at least they'll keep the current platform for 3 years unlike other companies changing their cars every 6 months. Parts should be easy to get

Losi- innovative, parts are everywhere, but it's driving characteristics aren't for everyone.

Kyosho- Worlds winning car , but too many changes in such a short time. If the car is so great, why do they change the platform every 6 months?

Mugen- had the rr,xr and 3 x5's the latter being the 5r. Had the 5r briefly and dont regret trading it. Plastic arms are stiffer than a steel i-beam .

Xray-had the first one and the TQ. Great cars, unmatched quality, but parts are far and few.

Ofna- never owned one.

As for life cycle, out of everything I've owned, I'd say the Xray has the lowest operating costs. Parts wear was very minimal on it. However, I haven't broken one single part on either Losi vehicles that I own which says alot.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Timmahh

take a hard look at the Jammin! accessable parts, great quality. proven track record, still in production, and after 3 yrs, any of the parts are readily available, new or old. they dont appear to make weekly upgrades/chages, but do offer different levels. rtr pro kit. FTE Kits. decent prices too
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562290-wreckluse-crawler-chassis-other-scaler-parts.html http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/562534-hpi-baja-items-f-s-motor-rtr-tranny-full-wheel-sets-servos-more.html
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi,

You said that 'someone suggested the Hyper 7'? If you are considering it, then you should really consider the Hyper 8.5.

Best bang for the buck out there. Spares are plentiful and dirt cheap on Ebay...

It is super competative as well.

Most of the other buggies suggested here are great too. Xray makes a fine product, but has been perceived "by some" as being difficult to find good baseline settings for - thus requiring more tuning effort for each track. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just that some people don't want to spend so much time tuning to get 'in the ballpark' for club racing events... Fantastic fit & finish, as well as incredible product support (X-Ray). X-Ray really sets the standard when it comes to quality and factory support for the consumer.

As for me, my Hyper 8 has never let me down, and has always out performed most cars on the tracks I frequent. Even our local fast guy picked one up and started dominating with it right out of the box. The car is fairly easy to tune as well.

The Jammin FTE is a great rig as well. Cheap and Available parts. Damn near indestructable as well. It is not as naturally nimble as the Hyper 8/8.5, but it is probably even easier to tune. It's baseline tune works at almost every track. Very easy to drive.

Then there's the 'status quo' Mugens and Kyoshos. Great buggies. Expensive kits and parts... Can't say anything bad about them except for pricing...

As for the M1... I had high hopes for them. The initial product released was an absolute turd. They claimed to have designed it based on extensive testing and analysis if one was to believe their pretty propaganda ads... I hope this latest version is a vast improvement. Time will tell... I wouldn't buy one until there is a ton of feedback on the new version, backed by some results at racing venues...
rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote