R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default Which tires last longer Buggy or Truggy

I'm planning on getting into nitro. The most recurring cost will be wheels and tires since these 8th are pretty much built like tanks. So I was wanting to know if the buggy tires last longer or do the truggy tires last longer on the same track conditions. I know the truggy tires cost more but I heard they last longer. Is that true????

Does the weight of the truggy make the tires wear faster?

Does the tires ballooning on a buggy make the center wear out faster and make them none competitive?

Thanks.......
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #2
Tech Adept

they'll wear about the same but a set of truggy wheels and tires are more expensive than buggy tires
vroom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Tech Champion

I think they wear the same....... I just watched group A' cars after finish the race 45 minutes...... tires were unusable for truggies and buggies. They were pro line bow tie and crime fighters tires.

However, if you chose bigger threads ( like pro line's knuckles ) for tire saving reasons ....... I think you should buy truggies because it's gonna be easier to drive than buggies with pro line's knuckles.

BTW, more people are racing truggies than buggies now..... well at least in my country now.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

my truggy tires seem to last a bit longer, but i think it all depends on the track surface you run on....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Agreed, it depends on track surface. Truggy/ buggy tires here last several months or more (2 races a week, my buggy tires are about 4 months old) The tread on my bowties looks fine, though slightly "sharp" from folding over and spinning the tires. When that happens I rotate my tires. Though I am out to have more fun, not spend hundreds on tires every month or so.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

where i am there is alot of black dirt tracks that can get dry and blown out, my buggy tires will last around a month to a month and a half, and my truggy tire will last 3 or 4 months...and thats racing every weekend....
Old 08-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

At my track everyone just uses two sets of tires every three months because one set is for the first thre rounds and the mains we use the other set. But we do have a guy who has a factory ride so he uses a new set every other race.
beta bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
Tech Regular

I would look into the dirt, I know you were thinking that same conditions but for example at my local track the nitro pit, A lot of people will run crimefighters or bowties in buggy, but in truggy the holeshot is also very popular. Holeshots are not very popular in buggy so at that track truggy tires would not last as long if you ran holeshots. thats only regarding the proline tires.

If your worried about tire wear the best thing you can do is just volunteer to water the track and make sure you keep a good amount of moisture in it and your tires will last a long time. Also if you have 2 local tracks race at the track with the loamier dirt.
Rocket42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

in my experience, the tires last pretty much the same, but the rims on the buggy are less likely to strip then on a truggy,

In general i would say buggy is cheaper to maintain though, truggies are alot harder on clutches, bearings, bodies and wings than a buggy, all of which add up pretty fast, all IMO thoguh, I'm sure there might be people who disagree,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #10
Tech Elite

to tell you the truth my buggy seems to be harder on bearings and whatnot than my truggy...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
Tech Regular

I could see that as being tru because a truggy has more leverage and more weight to apply onto the bearings
Nitro syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
Tech Regular

I find it hard to get more than an hr out of a set of tyres on my hyper8, most tracks i run on are hardpacked, grooved up tracks, i usually run cf or bowtie xtrs or k2's.
FrankBlack is offline   Reply With Quote