R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro Evader problem

Hello all, I bought my son a Duratrax Nitro Evader for his birthday and we are having problem keeping it running. I followed the break in procedure and began tuning the truck. For some reason it will not stay running without either the ignitor on it or the throttle trim turned way up. I'm not sure if I need to do some more adjusting on the carb or if it's something else. I changed the stock plug with an OS A3 plug after break in. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!

Dave
Profyrfyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Have you tuned the carb after breaking in the engine? Probably just need to lean the high speed needle a bit. Might search for an engine tuning thread and read up on it. If the engine is running to rich it's putting to much fuel in and the glow plug can't burn it all. You are compensating by going with a high idle, the glow igniter just helps keep the plug from going out.

Here's a link for ya to read:
http://www.nitrorc.com/

Last edited by jbrow1; 08-12-2007 at 07:00 PM.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

sounds like the low end might be rich...
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the tips, I will check out that link and give it a shot. That makes sense about it being to rich because as soon as it fires it starts dumping oil out of the exhaust.
Profyrfyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If the pipe gets a bunch of oil in it, just tip it so the stinger is down when it's running and give it a couple bursts of throttle and it should clean that out.

Running rich pushes lots of oil into the pipe rather than burning it. You'll always get oil in there no matter what, but running rich you'll notice the excessive amount.

Jason was right that it sounds like your low end. But generally as an engine breaks in you'll need to crank on the high speed needle just to keep it running. The low speed will be fine tuned later. You should always tune the high speed (after first thoroughly warming up the engine) first then fine tune the low speed. This is becuase the high speed needle actually feeds the fuel to the low speed. So if you get the low just right, then change the high you also have changed the low again as well without even touching it.

Tuning is kind of a mad science that you pick up with time. You can read this and that but hands on experiance is your real teacher.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote