R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rhymster
Default clutch problems with 8ight-t please help

last weekend i spun the collet on my crankshaft. ok got a new one got the flywheel back the shim bearing clutchbell outer bearing and then the screw but it locks the clutchbell to the flywheel now i have tried everything i can think of. and dont really have time to order a new flywheel and clutchbell to see if that would help. just wondering if anyone else is running into this problem.
rhymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Get yourself a clutch shim kit from ofna and work with shimming the bell till you have proper spacing.
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Be sure to tighten the clutch nut good plus some thread lock.
pablo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Do you have a shim behind the collet? If so take it out. Are you using the Losi collet?
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Tech Regular

yes its the losi collet and i tried the one that came with the engine too. its just seems like the flywheel isnt slipping far enough onto the collet because the end of the crankshaft is not coming all the way out flush with the bearing. its halfway in between out and in. but i have already had the clutch and flywheel on the engine before with no problems just now it wont work.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymster View Post
yes its the losi collet and i tried the one that came with the engine too. its just seems like the flywheel isnt slipping far enough onto the collet because the end of the crankshaft is not coming all the way out flush with the bearing. its halfway in between out and in. but i have already had the clutch and flywheel on the engine before with no problems just now it wont work.
i have found with the motor i run in my losi is i had to cut the opening in the collet a bit larger. it was closing up to much once tightne down and it was slipping. the losi one worked best for me, i tried three different collets and cut all three, but the losi worked best once i cut the opening larger. i dont use a shim under the collet either, as i was then having trouble spacing my clutch bell properly. maybe this will help you out.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I have a couple of RB motors and do not use the washer under the collet. If I did it would bind the clutchbell as well.
tomdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
Tech Regular

i dont know i just dont see how it worked the first time i bought the engine and now it wont. do yoiu think the clutch or flywheel is worn out
Old 08-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #9
Tech Regular

i had a rb engine before this engine i have now and it worked to im not using and shim behind the collet never have.i am just stumped and pissed off
Old 08-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

im sure it is frustrating. i went through the very same thing. i hit up one of our locla pro's and he told me about the tip of making the slot in the collet bigger. it only takes thousandths of an inch smaller diameter in the shaft of the motor to cause you trouble. grab your pliers, the losi collet, and your dremel with a cut off wheel and make the slot twice as large. since the collet is brass and the flywheel is steel it unlikely wore out to a point it would start slipping. but you could replace it also, i would still cut the collet.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #11
Tech Regular

but im not having any trouble with the flywheel slipping just not fitting far enought back i guess to let the front bearing on all the way
Old 08-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

ahh ok. the losi collet is much shorter than most other collets. if your not using the losi one that might be your problem also.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
Tech Regular

no im using the losi collet. the whole problem is that when i put everything on the flywheel flywheel nut shim front bearing clutchbell and front bearing then when its time for the nut on the crankshaft it makes the clutchbell stick too the flywheel
Old 08-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

ok i went through that too. with the help of another more experienced pro i got that info too. it will be easier with pics which i can do tomorrow. from clutch nut two shims,bearing,clutch bell,bearing, REALLY little shims,odd shaped spacer, then the screw. i have enough extra stuff i can layout it and take a pic of it for you. and get part numbers for you. sorry for the other info earlier, which may help you in the future, i got confused on what you were asking for some reason.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Make sure the outer bearing is all the way into the clutch bell. If needed, use a shim or two on the front clutch bell screw(#A9104.) The stepped washer might need a shim on it. Try that.

To shim the clutchbell away from the flywheel use shims after the flywheel nut is on. This will push the clutchbell away from the flywheel. Flywheel nut, then shim(s), then inner (big) bearing, then clutchbell, outer (small) bearing, then clutchbell screw (A9104), and this might need shims also. Hope this helps.
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote