R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson
Default Front Bearing

i think my front bearing has sprung a leak on my Werks B7.21PRO...theres not alot of fuel on it, but there is a lil, and my engine is having a bit of a hard time idling, its not running erratic temps....however i have never had a front bearing leak before so i doent know how to change them, so i wondering if someone could get me a link for replacing instructions????

Thanks, Jason
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

i dont run werks engines but, i am pretty sure they come with a new front bearing seal . in which case , you just have to pull old one off and replace
later, monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Well to me it dosnt sound like a new bearing is needed but it is hard to say with the supplied info and my actual knowledge of motors If the bearing is toast and you dont plan on using it again it is prety easy to get out, to get the front bearing out take the motor completely appart so you just have the block and bearings and find something to support the front of the block, just so the block is supported and there is nothing holding the bearing in (I use a socket so the bearing just falls into it) and when supported get something that will fit inside the bearing but not fall through (I used a punch but I have a ton of them and had the perfect size a very large fillips head screw driver will work too. then you can probably figure out the rest, just knock it out, I tried a mallet but it had to much give so I switched over to a real hammer, it will probably take a good hard knock to get it out but it will come out, some people heat the block to make it expand but I dont believe in that because you are also heating the bearing making it expand but heating the block will definietly aid puting in the new bearing. Same idea for the rear bearing. just to make sure you understand this will dammage the bearings because you are pushing on the inner piece and that will push on the balls and is just not good for the bearings, but that dosnt matter if you are replacing the bearings.
Nitro syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
i dont run werks engines but, i am pretty sure they come with a new front bearing seal . in which case , you just have to pull old one off and replace
later, monty
??? no the engine didnt come with a replacement seal....but i think you have me messed up a bit here....are you saying that you can just pull the seal off a new bearing and put it on the leaking one thats on the engine already????
Old 08-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Well a new seal might help but chances are the bearing is leaking because of play, meaning the whole bearing would need to be replaced, there are two ways to check, just wiggle the end of the crank with the whole motor assembled and you can get an idea if there is any play but there is only one real way to check, take apart the motor and see if the inner part of the bearin moves any ways it shouldnt.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #6
Tech Elite

well i just checked, and when i pull on the shaft i get a small amount of movement out of the front bearing, and there is some wetness (oil from fuel) around the inner area of the bearing....

that sucks ive only got about a half gallon including break in on this engine....i think ill call werks on monday and see if they will send me a new bearing or if i can send it in and have them replace the bearing for me....
Old 08-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Well I have not heard the best about Werks bearings but have heard good about werks Customer service so they may replace it but you may also want to look at TKO ceramics they are $15 for the fronts and they work great with double seals.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
Tech Elite

im running the werks B7.28PRO in my truggy and not having any problems, but im having a few with my B7.21PRO in my buggy...oh well i hope i can get things worked out...
Old 08-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

To remove bearings: first completely clean the outside of the engine. Then disassemble with only crankcase and bearings in it. Preheat the oven to 325 F and drop the crankcase in it for 10min. The rear bearing should fall out and the front should fall out with a tap.

To install new bearings, put new bearings in freezer for 10-15min. While chilling the bearings, put the empty crankcase in oven. Remove crankcase from oven and drop the front bearing in, it may take a few light taps, especially to mount it flush. To install rear bearing, mount it on the crankshaft, and drop the crankshaft in so that it self-centers.

This is what Rody from RB recommends, and I have done it quite a few times. It is very painless (as long as you use oven mitts!) Make sure the whole time that you keep every thing very clean. If you do happen to get some crud in while its all apart, use the only "clean" thing that you use in your engine to clean it out: nitro fuel. Using this method I can have the bearings changed out in 30-40 min. DO NOT stick anything in the crankcase to "hammer" the bearings in. It only ruins them. I do however use an old wooden spoon to tap the front bearing out when the crankcase is fresh out of the oven.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #10
Tech Elite

rezenclowd3, thank you that will help alot....i knew there way a method for replacing the bearing and was hoping that some one could point me in the proper direction....now the only thing i need is a new bearing and we will be in business...thankfully i have a good back up engine....
Old 08-11-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
Tech Elite

If you want a cheap but very decent replacement bearing, check out the TKO ceramic engine bearings. However if you want to give your engine some very special treatment, Boca Bearings make some sweet ceramic bearings with AMAZING seals.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
Tech Elite

i think im gonna go straight to the top and go for the ceramic bocca....
Old 08-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Good man! Pamper that engine!!!