R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-10-2007, 05:57 AM   #1
dsl
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Best bearings for offroad racing

What are the best bearings out there for offroad racing...this would be for a MBX5T truggy? (Boca ceramic, Acer, Avid, TKO, others?) Is it worth spending more $ on ceramics?
dsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

TKO.

ceramics are good for your engine

OS Speed Engines
Futaba
Panther Tires

CRCRC Raceway Webmaster
FullThrottle Raceway Webmaster
KForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i would just avids the yellow seal bearings he uses are an extremly high quality and for a $1 a piece you really cant beat em and i can tell you for a fact that when i used kit bearings (from many diff. manufactures) the avids have lasted way longer , as for TKO i hear they make awesome stuff i just have never used them
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Avid Yellow Revolutions, long lasting, inexpensive
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

one thing you have to realize in off road, things like bearings get the crap beat out of them like no other.

It would not be wise to spend top dollar on a set of bearings just to have them wear out after 1 season like most do, depending on how much you race. If you race 2 or more times a month, it would be best to replace your bearings at the end of the year.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Im actually quite disappointed in my Avid bearings. The tolerances on the rubber seals is atrocious. You can see daylight through them, which means dirt will surely get in there. I only bought some cause they were cheap...

I usually use Boca Bearing green seals in my offroad vehicles, and damn they last a long long long time. Ive had a full set on my AD2 for over a season now, and the bearings still feel great, no maintenance ever. I did have one hub bearing go bad on me however. BTW you can not maintain them according to Boca. I recommend trying some at least once. It was the best $80 Ive spent on bearings so far.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i have had some with what you are talking about being able to see through the seals but very few and for the price of the bocas you can get 80 avids. im just bustin your chops lol
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Give Advantage Bearings a try they are relatively new but seem to be great for what they will cost.
gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Yes but you dont have to keep tossing and spending time getting to all the bearings Id much rather spend the time cleaning the vehicle, roll the item using the bearing really quick to check, be satisfied with not having to toss it, and drive again than take the time to change them out and/or maintain them. To be honest, I just bought $50 of Avid bearings to try out, yes I am disappointed, but also I just chuck them and put another in rather than trying to maintain the $1 bearings. Gosh I love my Bocas. Spend cheap, get cheap eh?
Old 08-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Good point rezen, you get what you pay for, and at $1 , shite I cant even buy a cup of CHEAP coffee.

I bought a new Rossi econo engine off of Fleabay a couple years ago, and what'll you know, there was at least a .020 gap around the front bearing. Utter junk.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Hehe, at my grocery store if you bring your own mug in, you get a fill for a buck. AND its good coffee too. Gotta love small towns.

With your front bearing on the econo engine, at least you can get a good TKO/Boca bearing for $20ish. The econo engines by Nova and RB are a good bang for the buck IMO. Though I like my WS7II and C6BB.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
dsl
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Im actually quite disappointed in my Avid bearings. The tolerances on the rubber seals is atrocious. You can see daylight through them, which means dirt will surely get in there. I only bought some cause they were cheap...

I usually use Boca Bearing green seals in my offroad vehicles, and damn they last a long long long time. Ive had a full set on my AD2 for over a season now, and the bearings still feel great, no maintenance ever. I did have one hub bearing go bad on me however. BTW you can not maintain them according to Boca. I recommend trying some at least once. It was the best $80 Ive spent on bearings so far.
Rez...I just ordered a complete set of Boca green seals. I hope they are as I've heard.

I also ordered some of the new TKO clutch bearings that Adam Drake and other pros supposedly run....
dsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been using Avid bearings for years with zero issues or problems. They have been in everyhting from 10th electric trucks and MT racers, to 8th truggy and buggy drivelines and I've never had one fail while in use. I use them exclusivly in all my nitro clutches and they outlast anything else I've tried except the $22 Kyosho clutch bell bearings. I've tried Boca, Dynamite, Acer, and Blue Seal and they all (except Dynamite) have been decent, but Avid is the only place I can get them for a buck each. I've never received a defective bearing from David, but I'm sure if I did he would make it right with no problem.

Around here Avid is pretty much the standard among the racer crowd and I have never heard of anyone having any problems with them.
fhm555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Boca Bearings also has a $1 store.