Wiki Posts
Search

How much is this one worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default How much is this one worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:L:RTQ:US:1

it's a traxxas rustler (My first rc car)
Old 08-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

if i were in the market for something like that i would not pay over $125.00....
Old 08-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, I don't think I'm going to find anything like that under 160 on ebay.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Tech Rookie

where would you find that for only 125? Seems uber low.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not being able to finger it before you buy, I'd be reluctant to give over $50~$75 for it. A soft engine, ragged diff, worn out shocks, etc, etc, etc, can quickly run the price up around what a new one would cost. In my experience with used rc cars, this has been the rule rather than the exception when I can't lay hands on the car before I buy. It's happened enough I no longer buy anything I can't inspect first or can't get for dirt cheap. I'll pay a fair price if I can see the car first, but otherwise I just skip it.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It looks like it is in pretty good condition. I think about 50% of the cost of a new one would be a good deal. $150 ???
Old 08-07-2007, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you have to replace the engine, add another $120~$150 and you are knocking on $300 for a used car that can be had brand new in the box for $309 (plus shipping) from Tower. You will find that most used off road cars will need a new set of bearings, hinge pins, and shocks rebuilt, even if the motor and plastics are in good shape. I've never rebuilt a used rustler, but the cost for doing the bearings, pins, and shocks on the average 8th buggy will run around $80~$150 (or more), depending on what brand of bearings you use and how bad the shocks are. On the last 3 buggies I've rebuilt, 2 were cheaper to just buy new shock sets at a cost of over $100 per buggy. I once rebuilt a revo which required over $300 worth of new stock parts just to get it back to functional. This was before the 3.3 dropped, back when a NIB revo was around $360. The guy it belonged to gave $200 for the truck, then spent over $500 rebuilding it. He wound up with a $700 truck he could have bought brand new for less than $400. He did get a used starter box in the deal, but even adding $100 for a new bumpbox to the cost of a new truck he still spent much more than he would buying everything brand new. I've been doing repairs for local hobby shops and racers/bashers for a number of years, and for every good used car deal I've seen, there have been 20 (or more) worn out money pits.