Wiki Posts
Search

NovaRossi Rex carb questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default NovaRossi Rex carb questions?

My engine is the blue head BF2000 6 port. My prob. is with the carb. If I set the idle screw to have about 1mm opening when closed, the carb barrel binds on the idle screw. Can't seem to get the engine to idle well enough. The low speed is still slightly rich, but I don't think it's so rich to cause the engine to stall. It could be that rich I guess. This is my first Rossi engine to deal with and I have sealed it up pretty tight. The carb just doesn't seem to have enough adjustment for the idle screw. I appreciate any advice, I'm trying not to ramble on. So thanx in advance.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

When you were breaking it in did you record the stock needle setting's?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:27 AM
Tech Initiate

i have an old bf that i worked on the carb over the weekend. it has a spot on it when you go wide open and let off, it will not go back to idle easily. i took the slide out and applied a thick coat of mobil 1 grease all over the slide where it touches the carb body and reassembled, i didnt pay a lot of attention when i took it apart but when i put it back together the ball for the servo was turned 180 so instead of taking it back apart i just rotated the throttle ball and it is a lot better. i havent taken it back apart to be sure but it had to have 2 slots for the idle screw and i used the opposite 1 from what i have been using, it is a lot smoother now, goes back to idle without any problems.

take your slide out and if it has 2 idle slots, use the other 1 and see if it helps you.

also i usually do not run a full 1mm idle gap, probably .5 to .75 mm on my nova's.

i hope this helps!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Rookie

1mm opening is too large for idle. You should be set at approx .020" or .5mm to get a decent idle.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:12 AM
Tech Champion

Thanx a bunch for the replies. I didn't record the needle settings when I got it. You know me, Mr. Newbie. Don't know why I didn't. I have on a few other engines. And I'll find out what the carb looks like today. I didn't realize that Novarossi carbs didn't open that much. I'll get a little more aggressive with the settings. Seems like too much though. My truggy will almost pull wheelies with this motor, so I thought I should leave the needles where they are at. I just can't t get the thing to idle. After blipping the throttle, it will idle down in about 5 seconds, hold for about 3-4 and then stall. Thanx for help.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Low end is too fat lean it a hour.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Tech Champion

K. I'll do it again.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Stock needle setting's for th BF.( i opend one at the hobby shop.) Just for you buddy!!! High end - 3 3/4 turn's from fully closed. Low end- 4 1/2 turne's from fully closed.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by freefallmarine
Stock needle setting's for th BF.( i opend one at the hobby shop.) Just for you buddy!!! High end - 3 3/4 turn's from fully closed. Low end- 4 1/2 turne's from fully closed.
Cool. Is there anything you can not do? lol. That is awesome.I'm surprised someone still has one in stock. Thought they had been used up. I'll go back to that and try again. I still have probs though. I can get it to run great. Idle great. But after 2-3 minutes the carb starts to hang up when trying to open. I'm gonna try the stock settings in a bit.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Anything for a buddy!! If it acts up again, put the VG carb on it. It will run just as good, if not better. Something about those OS carb's.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by freefallmarine
Anything for a buddy!! If it acts up again, put the VG carb on it. It will run just as good, if not better. Something about those OS carb's.
I thought about putting on the carb from my black head 3 port. The carbs look identical, and thus I don't know if I would gain anything. I should have some time this week to do a little comparison testing.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Wow, you get to drive this weekend??? Glad they gave you a couple of day's off....Ill be up there soon..Thank's again Buddy!!