R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default GRP tires and dirt

I just got some GRP Jolly tires and the air holes are in the outside rubber where as in the other tires I was using the air holes are in the inside the rim. So when cleaning up after a few tanks of fuel on a dusty track, I was able to blow lots of dusty out of the inner tire using an air compressor. I'm thinking that these tire's foam will get overly dirty and possibly wet causing a shorter life for the tires.

So what would happen if I sealed up the holes with some silicone?

Why are there holes anyways?
Zazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Don't plug the holes. For 1/8 you always want the holes in the tire and never in the rims (unless you run indoors with traction compounds). Anything that gets in the tire can sling out if the holes are in the tire.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

But why are the holes there? If the holes were not there then there is not way for anything to get in and no need to sling anything out.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

the tire needs to breath so that the foams doent break down so fast...
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Tech Champion

The vents are there to allow air to escape and keep the tire from being bouncy.
Jason, I have a buddy that didn't put vent holes in his tires and while they were a little bounce it actually made the foams last WAY longer (old style PL foams that would be half worn out by the time you walked from your pit to the track ). My theory was that without vents in the tire, the foams didn't get smashed in between the tire and rim as much.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazuk View Post
But why are the holes there? If the holes were not there then there is not way for anything to get in and no need to sling anything out.
All rubber tires need to be vented in one way or another. Unlike a full size car we do not run air pressure to inflate the tires, that is what the foam is for. If the tire were sealed though, any change in temperature would cause the tire to change pressure, causing it to bounce when hot and get flat spots when cold.

Putting holes in the tire carcass works better because of centrifugal force. Nothing "falls" into the tires from the outside. Dirt is forced INTO the holes when they are on the inside of the rim which will break down the foams faster and/or cause unbalanced tires.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
The vents are there to allow air to escape and keep the tire from being bouncy.
Jason, I have a buddy that didn't put vent holes in his tires and while they were a little bounce it actually made the foams last WAY longer (old style PL foams that would be half worn out by the time you walked from your pit to the track ). My theory was that without vents in the tire, the foams didn't get smashed in between the tire and rim as much.

I can handle the little bouncy, with some shock adjustment. The amount of dirt that I had gotten out with compressed air was more then you would think should be in there, I think running with dirty foam will kill the foam faster.
As far as air pressure change due to temps will be small enough that I think it will not matter much.
Besides I can always try to dig out the silicon sealant if I don't like it.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:45 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Turst me, you want to leave the holes in the tires. IF you vent the rims your foams will develop dirt "tumors" which are rock hard spots from dirt collecting in them.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:53 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

holes in the wheels allows dirt to be sucked inside the tire when you land jumps and holes in the tires allows the dirt to be slung out of the tire when you gas it. otherwise you will have very heavy tires.

like they said, if you run inside only its ok, but if you run outside you need holes in the tires to sling out all the dust.
T Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

But if I plug the holes then there will be no venting, no way for any dirt to get in. If the dirt can not get in, then there is on worries about it getting out. Then what happens if I run on a damp to wet area? Won't the foam act like a sponge, get some mud in there then it drys out....

Edit:
There are no vent hole in the rims.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

zazuk, you have heard from several seasoned racers as to why the holes are on the outside. Trust them. If you're not willing to follow the advice then don't ask for it!

Last edited by satoch; 08-01-2007 at 08:26 AM.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

go for it! try the silicone sealant!

then you will find out that:

A. Silicone does not adhere very well to the tires' rubber.

B. If you were to develop some bonding between the two, more than likely it will fly off , due to the same principals as the vented tire sloughing out dirt.....

make your choice n00b
Crim3Wav3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #13

Default Tires,

Hi,

Silicone them from the inside, that works a treat, then when the pressure builds up in the tires they will explode, it looks really cool when they balloon from rpm's but stay that way cause of the pressure!! then boom!!!
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Trust me, no matter how well you glue or seal a tire, dirt will find it's way in! When you wash your tires, water will find it's way in! The force that the tire goes through under hard acceleration is tremendous, and parts of your glue bead will work their way loose, and dirt and water will get in. The vents allow dirt and water to be flung out.

I buy new proline tires and use a leather punch to vent my tires to help them breath better and allow stuff like water and dirt to get out.

Trust All of Us, leave them be, because your logic is backwards. and I mean that in the best way possible