R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-01-2007, 03:34 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

This could go on for ever. There is no clear one is better than the other. In my CRT I run these motors
OS Speed Vspec 21 w/ os 2060 pipe
Sportwerks V2 26 with few mods and a v2 21 alum. backplate with a jp3 pipe

these are my 2 options for my truggy. I use to run the ebmods vspec but the speed is a better motor for power.
On a small track where you really need a good grunt to get over some jumps the 26 works better. but if you don't have that specific issue the 21 i find will be a better choice. it has a more gradual power band where the 26 is more of a light switch. and there is quite a diff in fuel consumption. the 21 i will pit every 7.5-10 min depending on track the 26 i will pit 5-8 min. depending. as always you can't have everything all in one motor. but a cheap 21 and a cheap 26 or 28 may be a good alternative than spending all your money on one awesome motor.
just a thought. but if you go with a 26-28 the lrp z28 and sportwerks motors are good cost effective runners
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:03 AM   #17
Tech Adept

Its all down to the driving style each driver uses.#Two drivers with the same engine can pit 2 mins apart ,as one of them is full throttle-brake -full throttle-brake and the other is smoooooooooth.For a throttle hungry driver a .21 is best i think.
damo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i thin it depends alot on the truck you have too. i run for xray and i know the gearing in our truck is similiar to that of a losi so you dont really need a motor with more than normal torque. i personally run a box stock max power m5B (P5) with a jammin jp-1 and i had no problem this past weekend jumping a 30-35 foot triple with hardly any run. i do however think the key is the pipe that you use. i have tried all the other jammin pipes in my truck and i always come back to the jp-1

just my .02 :-)
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

just spoke to a werks tech on the phone, and he told me that the B7.28PRO gets better fuel economy than the B7.21PRO...
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Have you guys heard anything about the new O.S. .28 coming out? It is suppose to be like the V-Spec but in .28 form. I am getting a new engine for my truggy and was thinking about a v-spec but now I may wait for the .28. Just wondering if you guys had heard anything or than whats on rccaraction's website.
PRScustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #21
Tech Elite

I have 34 inches of fuel line and two empty Mugen fuel filter cases. I'm getting 13.42 min per tank. I have it like that due to the half hour mains and some 45 min mains that I run. I'm running a RB 928 and I'm holding temp very well. Going back to the argument, for a new guy with not much experiance in off road, I would go with a .21 .
Most of us it seems are power hungry guys like myself that love to slam the door on anybody that comes too close. A good .28 will eat up a .21 on the straight (when properly geared). Most .28 drivers won't go full throttle through out the track. The .21 motor is just more forgiving.

Arr Cee, you will have to go to the track and see for yourself. If you can, try a 21 & 28. There is a difference.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER View Post
I have 34 inches of fuel line and two empty Mugen fuel filter cases. I'm getting 13.42 min per tank. I have it like that due to the half hour mains and some 45 min mains that I run. I'm running a RB 928 and I'm holding temp very well. Going back to the argument, for a new guy with not much experiance in off road, I would go with a .21 .
Most of us it seems are power hungry guys like myself that love to slam the door on anybody that comes too close. A good .28 will eat up a .21 on the straight (when properly geared). Most .28 drivers won't go full throttle through out the track. The .21 motor is just more forgiving.

Arr Cee, you will have to go to the track and see for yourself. If you can, try a 21 & 28. There is a difference.
What are you teaching those kids in the ghetto? How to cheat? pathetic...
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Halvorson Send a message via MSN to Jason Halvorson

lol i doent think that will make roar rules....

well on another note i just ordered a new Werks B7.28PRO for a great price ($244 on amain)....ill let everyone know how it does after i get it broke in....
Jason Halvorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Location: West Ozzie living in Merrigum...Shepparton...Victoria
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We are currently running 2 V-spec's but is lacking on the bottom. Most of the track here have hair pin corners. Very stop and go and time is made up or lost on the exit of these corners.

This is why I was thinking of getting the 28 since a new motor is required.

Have you guys played with the bell gearing when running the 28? Increased size by one tooth.
....Axial Wraith....
.......... 😃 ..........
arr see car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER View Post
I do race both and I stand on what I wrote, go back and reread my comment.

Yes there is a difference, the .21 feels anemic compared to the .28 in a truggy and that is a cheap .28 at that. Picture what a good .28 would do.

I will continue to use the .21 in my buggy since that what the rules dictate but in the truggy, no way, it's a .28 all the way.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr see car View Post
Have you guys played with the bell gearing when running the 28? Increased size by one tooth.
Nope, I run the same gear. The .28 just doesn't need to be wound out as much as the .21 to clear the jumps, stutters and hairpins. Throttle control is easier because you can back off and still have power when you need it.

I liked how the truggy worked with the V-Spec but it just works better with the LRP Spec 3.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoch View Post
What are you teaching those kids in the ghetto? How to cheat? pathetic...
Those races were not ROAR or tech'd races. BTW, the kids already know how to cheat.. but they just don't do it very well. lol Yes, I agree Pathetic!

Now answering the question.
If I had a choice, I would choose the Novarossi 528XS or the RB TM 928. My reasons are that these motors give great performance and torque on demand and power. The price range is at the low $300.00 mark. I believe the tank 150cc. and a good .28 will give great performance. Figure you will have a fuel burn of 9.73cc per minute. As was stated before, you are very rarely at full throttle and for most qualifiers being five minutes, a well tuned .28 will burn 1/4 to 1/3 tank, depending on how big, your gearing and how technical the track is.

Get a good .28 that is not too torquey. If you can get a modded 3-5 port .28 you will be in great shape. O.S, Novarossi, ENYA (can't remember the new name), CMB (If available) and RB make great .28 7-9 port engines. They have RPM ranges similar to .21 but with the torque and power of a .28 .
Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Black

It definitely sounds like I am the minority here!! Haha. But in all seriousness I would highly recommend a .21 for your truggy. If you are looking for more bottom end you can always run a more aggressive clutch setup with aluminum shoes and you can strap up a JP-1 pipe to cover up the difference.

Its kind of funny because both of my buddies run truggy as well and one of them has a $500 Speed motor and the other has a $175 NovaRossi BF motor and both of those trucks felt amazing when I was behind the wheel. I ran both trucks this weekend at the Pro-Series (during practice) on a blue grooved track and if either truck had any more power I would have felt that I would have been over-powering the track. There was a 25-30ft triple that I could easily clear with both trucks without having to really lay into the throttle. I saw one of my good friends that can flat out drive the wheels off of a truggy run a .28 for a qualifier and he was everywhere, just too much motor to be smooth with. I would go with a good .21 motor and just be smooth.
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #29
Tech Regular

With todays truggys and power that .21 produce there is not much use for a .28. All of the .21 make enough power to throw around the lighter truggys on todays market such as the XT8, MBX5T, 8IGHT T, STR and many more. Maybe if you have a heavier truggy you may want a .28 but in reality the .21 make plenty of power and the best way to get traction down is for the wheel to have traction and not spin and if you cant get those wheels spinning with .21 then you have some problems. So unless you have a realy tight track or heavy truck you dont need a .28.
Nitro syco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:52 AM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

With Regard to the New .28 O.S. Engine...

I've heard that it will retail for around 350.00....

I've seen a couple places that have it marked "out of stock" with a price of 239.99, but this is out of Hong Kong....

I'm going to pick one up to satisfy my curiosity, but its going to have to be spectacular for me to switch from my Mach 427....
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote