Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Nitro Buggy Selection based on driving style, need advice >

Nitro Buggy Selection based on driving style, need advice

Nitro Buggy Selection based on driving style, need advice

Old 07-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)
Default Nitro Buggy Selection based on driving style, need advice

I am looking in the future to maybe pick up another nitro buggy. My previous one worked well and I have no complaints about it (just the engine), but decided I want to try something new in the future if I do nitro again.

Anyway, I find that I like to drive through my turns and not roll through them off power which the buggy seemed to like to do.

I want something that I feel is similar to driving a 4wd electric buggy or touring car, something where consistent throttle is the best method and not the blip blip blip technique to get around the track.

Thanks again!
Old 07-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

From what I hear you have to drive the Losi 8ight like you drive a touring car. Although I have yet to drive one for myself this may be the buggy you are looking for...
Old 07-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobS
From what I hear you have to drive the Losi 8ight like you drive a touring car. Although I have yet to drive one for myself this may be the buggy you are looking for...
the 8ight is indeed the car you're looking for, just be aware of the many servo problems people have had with them and pay special attention to setting it up. Read the sgrid losi thread, it lists numerous special tricks to keeping the gears from breaking and I believe they've fully resolved the servo failures with an o-ring under the receiver box.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Losi 8 or the Hyper 8.5. I loved the steering of the Hyper car but the Losi has better track prowess. I drive the 8 now and have owned, Xray, Mugens, Hyper 7 and 8 and now the Losi 8.
This car is definitly a driver's car. It is not a dirtbike.
Stick with Futaba servos and pay attention to setup and you will be fine.
Tex
Old 07-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

if that were my driving style i would be running a xray....
Old 07-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Losi seems to like a really smooth driving style, which is why it's hard for some to adapt to it. It's either really fast for you and works, or it's really fast for a lap or two and it's not your cup of tea.

The Xray likes to be driven through the corner more, as Jason said. Jammin seems to like to be driven hard through the corners too.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Driving the vehicles you mention, the 8ight is probably the right choice for you. As others have mentioned a true drivers car. One where consistency, good driving technique will get you along ways. It follows one of those old racing adages, smooth is fast....

The Mugens, Xrays, and OCM like to be hammered through the corners. Point and shoot....

While they can be driven smooth they seem to work best when you throw them into turns...

I had an 8ight and have some buddies the successfully run it. There doesn't seem to be any consistent problems with it that we've seen. Now the 8ight-T seems to be very problematic in certain areas....
Old 07-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys. This past weekend I got to see a Hyper 8 go and it looked very smooth around the track. The driver was good no doubt, but it seemed more sure footed than the other vehicles at times.

There wasn't an 8ight at the track, interesting the area here I have only see 1 8ight run, the RTR version. It looked fine for the little I did get to see it.

So far based on responses I am looking at the Hyper 8 series, and the Losi 8ight.

Few questions for the Losi 8ight:

1. For the Losi 8ight, do you really need losi's starterbox? I use right now the AE starter box, works great and seems to have great reach with its wheel.

2. How long does that special clutch it uses last?

3. How expensive are replacement shoes and springs for the Losi clutch?

4. How good are the stock steppin tires for racing and how long do they last?

5. Does the losi need there own type of wheels or are they universal with the 17mm standard?

For the Hyper 8

1. For those who have run the Jammin and then the Hyper 8, what have been the advantages and disadvantages of the Hyper 8 to it?

For both vehicles

1. Compared to other vehicles, how has durability been? My previous vehicle the CEN Matrix was extremely high on durability, no breakages other than the rear wing angle selection holes, so I want something that is at a minimum that durable.

2. What are the known common issues with the vehicles?

3. How has the wear life of parts been? Reason I ask is I heard Jammins seem to get sloppy sooner than what people have been used to. Curious if these vehicles have that issue as well?

4. How do the vehicles compare to each other are far as performance?

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

1. For the Losi 8ight, do you really need losi's starterbox? I use right now the AE starter box, works great and seems to have great reach with its wheel. No need for a Losi box. Its same as any other car, just get the box and the chassis lined up perfect.

2. How long does that special clutch it uses last? Dynamite Max Life shoes last several gallon. KHZ 7075 has good life as well.

3. How expensive are replacement shoes and springs for the Losi clutch? Shoes are around $20 per 4. Pack of 4 springs are $4.25 Probably need at least 2 pack...a pack of gold and pack of silvers. Greens are nice to have too.

4. How good are the stock steppin tires for racing and how long do they last? The silvers will wear decent, but most likely won't be the tire of choice at your track. You will need to use a tire that is the hot tire at your track. M2 and M3 PL Crimefighters seem to be good at a lot of tracks. At my local track, I personally like Panther Switch 2.0 in Clay or Soft depending on moisture.

5. Does the losi need there own type of wheels or are they universal with the 17mm standard? Any standard 17mm wheel will work. Panther wheels are very good and cheap.

For the Hyper 8
Get the Hyper 8 of your head...you will definitely be quite satisfied with the Losi. The car works, period. Start out with the Drake or Truhe setup and use the hot tire at your track and the car will basically drive itself!
Old 07-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Last edited by g26er; 05-11-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by g26er
Which one is softer, clay or soft? Which one would you use completly dry and which one slightly wet?

Sorry to post in your thread but, was just curious...
The clay is softer. Use the clay when the track is packed and moist. Use the soft or med soft when the track is dry.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if you can drive them before you get one do it. at our local track 80% of the cars are losi. some stick with it some switch (two main cars they switch too if they dont like it are jammin and mugen) hyper 8 is still a good car as are all of them. alot of the local fast guys with an 8ight are on their second kit so i would pay attention to what parts wear is and what MAY wear (with all cars). its nice to have a car that turns fast laps but just because it turns the fastest lap doesnt mean it is the fastest for a qualifier or a main. if you watch rc live roar nats you will see a few cars with faster lap times than who won. whole thing is about being CONSISTANTLY fast. in nitro racing 1 wreck can be the difference between a good qualifier and beinging in the lower half of the field. if lap times between 2 different cars are within a few tenths of eachother just get what you are most comfortable with. 1 second gained as a whole over being faster is great but most wrecks take at least 5 seconds (probably more) off of your time.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The AE car is going to be good too.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain

5. Does the losi need there own type of wheels or are they universal with the 17mm standard?
No, Losi wheels are standard size hubs. However, drivers have noticed that the losi wheels are SLIGHTLY larger, which tightens the sidewalls on proline tires, making them flex less and apparently driver better than using an ofna, proline, or other wheel.

1. Compared to other vehicles, how has durability been? My previous vehicle the CEN Matrix was extremely high on durability, no breakages other than the rear wing angle selection holes, so I want something that is at a minimum that durable.
Offroad 1/8th scales are built like tanks. It's difficult to break parts (though they do wear out over time). The weak points of the 8ight (or the parts that wear fastest):

Front center CV
rear outer hinge pins
clutch bearings, shoes, springs (true of ANY 8th scale)
Wheel bearings (2 sizes, this is also true of 8th scale)
plastic hinge pin covers
shock balloons

2. What are the known common issues with the vehicles?
Clutches need maintenance, as do bearings. Gotta keep the car clean. Make sure your end points are set on the servos and watch out for a sticky carb on the 8ight, but if you keep it freed up, it won't affect the servo.

3. How has the wear life of parts been? Reason I ask is I heard Jammins seem to get sloppy sooner than what people have been used to. Curious if these vehicles have that issue as well?
The front CV for the 8ight wears just a bit faster due to the angle it's at compared to other 8th scales. It's not a deal breaker, but the pins do wear out and you'll need to replace the dogbone at some point.

4. How do the vehicles compare to each other are far as performance?
This depends on driver and components, but right now the Losi is champ. It can equal or outperform any car in the right hands. On th eother hand, in Europe, the Hobao (Ofna) is quite popular and very effective.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

If you're looking for something smooth I would go with the X-ray, however every driver is going to say the car they are currently driving is the best. Just do your research and see what brand your local shop carries so you can get parts. If you put in the right setup, anything will work for you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.