R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default brake bias setup

Hi,

I'm not sure if this had been covered earlier. I am interested to hear from my fellow forumers on your brake bias setup. Front brake first or rear or even. What's the rational behind the setup ?

Thanks.

Regards,
Joe Ling
joeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i think brake bias is governed by the diff's, as the brake stops the whole drive train, not individual axles. (at least on the cars i've seen) so to change brake bias you would have to change your diff oil/grease.
joe of loath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:42 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I like my rear brake stronger than the front so I can brake/skid and drift in tight turns.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
Tech Regular

rear bias for me as well, front bias will make your car push while your on the brakes which is fine for some tracks.

bias is adjusted by the brake levers, the diff oil is really more for controlling the power distribution between the front and rear. thinner feels easier to drive on bumpy or slick tracks, thicker allows more acceleration if the track is right.
brianhatesnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I try to keep the brakes fairly balanced front to rear. But with that said, if the brake pressure is the same, the rear will still lock first due to weight transfer. However you don't need tire locking stopping power. My buggy doesn't stop any faster than my gas truck and it still has more brakes than the local pro's 8.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i set mine up so it doesnt lock up but the rear has more grab in back than front. that way when i slow down the front can still steer without sliding. does it mean faster? dont know but it feels and looks alot more controlled and my car rarely spins out of control or off the track. some set it up with more front to swing the back end around faster, thing with that is over rotation (car can do a donut easier). imo would take a more skilled driver with a very consistant car and surface to pull off. the advantage gained by the 2 types of set ups will be lost if you spin out or dont make a corner good and even cost over a whole main if you wreck. saving .2 seconds a lap over how you use your brakes might sound good but 1 wreck costing you 6 seconds wont be made up by brakes so go with what works for you alot of guys i see drive lucky if they use their brakes lol
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
Tech Elite

i thought the brake just stopped the entire drivetrain? or is that just the practice of some manufacturers.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

most 1/8 scales have a brake on each side of the center diff so you can set bias
mugenlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Tech Elite

aaaaaaah ok i get it. i'll go away now.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I like to run more front brake on my car because it help keep it under control going into corners. You can run a lot more front brake than what you think because the weight transfer to the front of the car. Running more rear brake makes the car harder to drive, especially on bumpy tracks. You would be surprised how much faster you can go if you ran more front and less rear, you don't always want the rear end to swing around in every corner!
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.s. power View Post
I like to run more front brake on my car because it help keep it under control going into corners. You can run a lot more front brake than what you think because the weight transfer to the front of the car. Running more rear brake makes the car harder to drive, especially on bumpy tracks. You would be surprised how much faster you can go if you ran more front and less rear, you don't always want the rear end to swing around in every corner!
I totally agree, especially since I race a Losi 8. I have enough steering now that I don't need to slide the back end around to make a tight turn. There's a reason they put the larger disks in the front on real cars.
satoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I usually run a tad more front brakes. There's benefits to both setups though, more front will give more control under braking and more rear will help bring the rear around and still allow you to steer the car.
K.Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I guess it all depends on the drive manerism of the driver.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I too prefer just a tad more front brake bias. But alot of that is my driving style as well.

I know guys that have so little front brake its almost not noticeable. And they are FAST! It really depends on your driving style as well.

I like to steer with the rear of my truggy ala dirt bike, but I don't have the brakes biased that way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoch View Post
I totally agree, especially since I race a Losi 8. I have enough steering now that I don't need to slide the back end around to make a tight turn. There's a reason they put the larger disks in the front on real cars.
HPI - Blitz
bushyar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:10 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir miles View Post
I like my rear brake stronger than the front so I can brake/skid and drift in tight turns.
Same, i run 45/55 F/R.
FrankBlack is offline   Reply With Quote