Search

Should I buy a Nomadio Sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been looking at the Airtronics M11 and M11 the KO EX-10 and some Spektrums radios but now, I found this Normandio Sensor and React.

I will be using the radios for 1/8 scale truggy racing

No many people have then. Is there a problem or something??? Thanks!

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails Should I buy a Nomadio Sensor???-nomadio-sensor.jpg   Should I buy a Nomadio Sensor???-nomadio-react.jpg  
Old 07-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

They have all the same features as other high end radios, but they feel cheaply made. Both can be plugged into the computer to configure and update, however no other radios need bug fixes and Ive never seen the need to configure the radio with my computer vs in front of my car in the pits. Also, the Nomadio and Spektrum can talk to (read bind with) the Futaba FASST RX and Spektrum RXs. THat is a nice feature.....IF you have already made an investment into another manufacturers receivers. Personally, stick with the other high end radios such as the KO Propo Helios, Airtronics M11, or Futaba 3PKS. I have owned both the M11 and 3PKS, and Spektrum DX3, and the 3PKS is the most comfortable to me, but the build quality of the M11 is better.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

No problems at all. I ran the Sensor last year and loved it. This year, being offered the opportunity to join the Nomadio Team 007, Ive been using the React. As far as difference between the two, the Sensor was designed to be ergonomically balanced and this was one of it's major selling points. I have held all major Txs and IMO, the Sensor was by far more comfortable to me, especially being I hold a Tx akwardly. The React was designed to work in an existing Tx case, from a manufacurer called MultiPlex. I felt, even though the Sensor is more comfortable, the React, being much lighter, is much better for longer mains. I also feel that it is quicker, even more so than the Sensor.
I believe the main reason why you don't see as much on the Nomadio products is simply because of Horizon's marketing. That, together with all of the RTR vehicles available with the DX2 system, the term Spektrum has more of a presence. I can speak from personal experience that Nomadio's customer service is absolutely second to none. If you ever have a problem, simply email Scott at [email protected] . Inlcude your phone and he will almost always reply within 1/2 hr, maybe a day at the extreme latest. Also, if you're familiar with Radical engines, Dom Sansone is a Team 007 member. I mention this because I checked your profile before typing this. I see you are from AZ. I believe he is from the Phoenix area. Check the engine forums for a Radical thread. Im sure he would be happy to offer you a chance to try out the React.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i own a sensor, and i am going to switch to a futaba 3pk with an extremelink system. I like my nomadio, but at 90 bucks a receiver its to costly with 6 cars. And i refuse to move RX from car to car.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
Personally, stick with the other high end radios such as the KO Propo Helios, Airtronics M11, or Futaba 3PKS. I have owned both the M11 and 3PKS, and Spektrum DX3, and the 3PKS is the most comfortable to me, but the build quality of the M11 is better.
The reason I am seriously looking at this radios is because they seems to be awesome radios and they go “used” for a lot less than others.
In other words, they do have the same or more features than others (more expensive) radios but, because people (I think are reluctant to their “different look” and some never seen “weird” features), sale them used for less than $200.
Then for you: rezenchlowd3 quality is poor and you find no use for the computer link capabilities. That is a good point. What do you think of what I mentioned?

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
I ran the Sensor last year and loved it. This year, being offered the opportunity to join the Nomadio Team 007, Ive been using the React.

NitroOB4You, you seem to have the hands-on experience with the radios.
What do you thing of the 2 ways communication with the RX? Dost that really works in real life racing? I would be amazing to have a real-time feedback in you radio of your motor temperature. I wonder why I don’t see these sensors on my local racetracks.

Originally Posted by Bigedmond
I like my nomadio, but at 90 bucks a receiver its to costly with 6 cars. And i refuse to move RX from car to car.

Bigedmond: I only have 2 and NitroOB4You said that it is compatible with other RXs. I might solve that problem.

Thanks everybody! The more I know about this the better. Please make any comments or add your 2 cents on this thread; any advise helps mi and others that might read. I am buying a radio this week and, as many of us, I can only afford 1. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by RCnetti; 07-25-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

No. Please don't waste your hard earned money.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

I think for the price, it is great, but I have no use for the telemetry as I will never look at it while racing, however the motor temp and battery level signal would be helpful for practice, but you need to purchase the motor temp hook up. If you are on a budget, go for it, but I choose my radios on how comfortable it is, and I like a little weight to it. My M11 came out to about $300 with Spektrum module and RX, my 3PKS with FASST came out to over $400, and my DX3 with RX was $250 (bought that the day it came out). I like them all, but just decided on a whim to try the 3PKS out, and love it for the most part. It does seem like 2 engineers couldn't agree about the trim switch and buttons... I dont even use any features beside failsafe and EPA (I do use throttle up however for starting my car and warming it up before I run the engine hard), so I wasn't buying based on features.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My vote is for the futaba 3PK-S with Faast system!!! my .2 cents
Old 07-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

What most people don't seem to understand about the Nomadio systems is that they are a software based program, and one which is constantly updated. No! other system can claim this.Now consider the M8 and M11...the 11 being an "upgraded" system...with Nomadio, you get the upgrades with the software for free. There is NO need to use a PC to program either of them. However, when the software is updated you do need to use a PC. The DLs are free though.
I used the temp sensor, and it works awesome. I love being able to check the engine temps and knowing if I should tell a pit beesh to lean/richen it during a stop.Or if it is waaaay hot, let's say somehow an air leak develops and it gets this way, the system will set off an audible alert or even vibrate. Same thing with Tx and Rx batteries...if voltage is getting low, the alerts will let you know.Then there's the built in fail safe. Now, I will say one negative about the temp sensor. I have had problems with sharp engine heads cutting the wires. Other than that, the feedback is great.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

No, I FULLY understand your first statement, however the M8 didnt need an "upgrade". What it did need is to be fresh in the market again. Still, with all my other radios (except for the 3PKS), none have needed to be updated with features. As for the 3PKS, the non HRS failsafe blows. It is ALMOST enough for me to take my losses and buy another M11. (not harping on the M11, as I really do love it, it just slightly hurt my thumb, and yes I am VERY picky, as it is my hobby and hard earned money;-) )
Old 07-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I saw a friends nomadio sensor, and I couldn't get over how Fat and Ugly the reciever looked. I'd have some trouble wedging it into the radio tray on my Losi Eight.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Mate,
I have a sensor and I love it, it comfortable in the hands, as previous posts have stated its upgradeable. Sure nobody looks at the telemetry when racing, but you aren't supposed to, thats why it has vibration and alerts. All the data is there for when you finish the race to analyze. I'm about to run third class and this system is all I need.
My 2 cents.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

After owning one I can honestly say I would never ever buy another. Both receiver I had would constantly drop signal in the middle of races, the ergonomics were not very good, the menus were a bit clunky and the build quality overall was just awful. 4 other people in the local club here also bought Sensors and every single one of them besides one have had problems and went with a different radio. The reason they sell for so little is because no one wants them. I really wanted to like the Sensor, the features were so awesome, but the execution of the product was just so bad. I use a KO Helios now on 27Mhz FM and it is perfectly reliable, very comfortable, but not any easier to use though.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Anyone try comparing how the nitro telemetry pack of the Spektrum works versus the Nomadio systems? I would think it would be great to be able to know the temps of an engine instead of having to run down and check all the time.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The React seems to be better built and more reliable than the Sensor. For me the Sensor was not comfortable. I highly recommend trying any radio before you buy to make sure it is comfortable to hold.

I had a problem with my first React draining batteries when turned off but it was fixed by Nomadio in about a week. I've seen Helios radios with bad pots within 2 hours of use, M11s with the sticky steering wheel, etc. All manufacturers put out radios with occasionaly build issues. The React is by far the lightest radio out there and also the fastest. I believe they were also selling for about $200 with one receiver.

As to receivers being $90, I thought all the high end radios had receivers at around $90?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.