R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #46
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to layedbackguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejay323 View Post
yah really under powered... can't get it to turn my .21 over long enough to get it started. tried loosening glow plug, still nothing. motors get really hot after 10 minutes of trying! haha

i'm gonna look for a couple of 775 motors to upgrade or just get the ofna box and sell this one.
If you wanna upgrade your motors, i would try these.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXF54&P=7

I have them in my mugen box, and they worked really well.
layedbackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #47
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to veejay323

Quote:
Originally Posted by layedbackguy View Post
If you wanna upgrade your motors, i would try these.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXF54&P=7

I have them in my mugen box, and they worked really well.
thanks I'll consider those... too bad there aren't any 775s?!

well i got my 8T started... had to switch to 14 volts, and even then it was barely enough. Man, the motors on these things suck. They must have chosen the worst quality they could find.

If I decide to keep this box I will upgrade the motors and redo all the wiring with some quality 14 gauge and deans plugs.

But it would probably be more cost effective to just get the ofna 775s and sell this box for 50 bucks or something. Nice idea... bad execution.
veejay323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #48
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcejk

im using my box with to stick packs and it works perfect.been working great with my v-spec thats in my buggy and my radical witch is in my truggy with no problems..
rcejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #49
Tech Adept

what are the other starter boxes that 8ight users are using sucessfully this, this losi box is a fuggin piece, worst waste of my money EVER
vroom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom88 View Post
what are the other starter boxes that 8ight users are using sucessfully this, this losi box is a fuggin piece, worst waste of my money EVER
I have used the TM X5 Turbo II and Ofna black chrome top. But can't find replacement pulleys for the X5 and the Ofna is going strong. Thinking of modding it to fit 10th scale. Don't know if the motors will fit sideways. I haven't checked yet. Anyways, those two boxes work well with the Losi's. Oh, and several people I know use the Mugen II off-road box. It works perfectly as well.
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

if you use stick packs, it works good. A gel cell doesnt have the power. I will agree that Losi/horizon should have went with 775 motors, but it turns over my piccon p3 just fine with my chrome top sometimes would struggle with.

I also used it on my vspec with no problems.
Bigedmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #52
Tech Adept

yeah my heated comment earlier was after i fried the motors my buggy has not been started once with that hunk of crap losi calls a starter box it's pretty sad when my roto start with it's 1 motor and 1 stick pack can start the car all day long while the box with 2 stick packs or a gell cell (i've tried both ways) will not start my buggy. END RANT
Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 PM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #54
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy View Post
the box is fine. it will not start the roto-start motor because the fly wheel sits too high. the wheel is hitting the chassis.
i had a sportwerks back plate that eliminated the rotostart and a king headz EZ change motor mount i'm not THAT retarded but the wheel was still hitting the chassis occaionally since the mounts dont hold the car in like they should
Old 08-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #55
Tech Apprentice

is it me or is this the same box as the Losi sans the custom top plate?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMPP5&P=7
Old 08-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #56
Tech Champion

http://www.venom-racing.com/products..._box/index.htm

How bout this one also? Yeah, they are almost the same. That's why the Losi box is so affordable. Look around at the high end boxes. 85 to 130. Several items in this industry are similar for cost saving and a large company owning several smaller ones. I didn't major in business so I don't know the proper terminology. Forgive me. But there are seveal motors and engines that are the same as others and labeled different.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #57
Tech Adept

well you'd think that paying 80 dollars for the "losi" box you'd get one designed for the car and not a 50 dollar box with a different top plate I do

get that in a business you try to make a profit but when your having to give out motors and such for free because you settled for the cheap box that

doesnt sound like a good business move thier profit margins are lowered because of this and it probably would have been a better move to have a

box made for the car instead of setteling for the lowest bidder to modify thier box and yes this has me riled up because I waited 3 months for this piece of crap and now it's better off as a 80 dollar door stop
Old 08-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #58
Tech Apprentice

yup those duratrax and venom boxes are the same as well. I'm guessing what is happening is they are just rebadging and making little tweaks here and there. It happens...

I wish that they would have tested more with them though. Doesn't seem like there is much R&D since they are just using the "common" design.

I switched the motors out with the traxxas e-maxx motors like layedbackguy suggested and looks like I'll be keeping my losi box now. Those motors work sooooo much better. It was a pain to get the gears off the original motors as they are pressed on. You also have to shorten the shaft on the traxxas motors which I did with my dremel.

It's also good to know I can probably buy the replacement parts for the duratrax box at tower hobbies and use them with my losi box. $75 for the losi box... $40 for new motors... I should have just gotten the ofna dual 775s for $85.

Hopefully someone out there can learn from our problems....
Old 08-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #59
Tech Champion

I've been frustrated in this hobby also, like you seem to be. Fortunately for me the Losi box works well. I don't have engines that have a super tight pinch. Havent' bought an engine over $200 yet. The Magic X5 box I have didn't seem to have enough power either for turning over one of my Rossi's. It was hard on the box and ended up stripping a pulley and a belt. And now I can't find an $8 pulley here in the U.S. So I bought the ofna black chrome top. It works well, but can't start the 8 and 8T to well with out the pegs in place. Also the soldered leads on the motors both melted off. Fixed that with more solder. Well, the Losi box has held up two days of running so far. I hope your luck changes for the better.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #60
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Adim_X

The losi box looks good, and I have seem people use them successfully, but I am not fully sold on their power. I have an ofna truggy box with a gel cel, and it is hands down the best box i have ever owned. It cranks over engines that my old blue chrome top choked up on. It is so easy to set up for the 8ight. It took all of 5 minutes to perfectly align my car.
Adim_X is offline   Reply With Quote