Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
os v spec problem >

os v spec problem

os v spec problem

Old 07-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

Default os v spec problem

i have an os v spec with about two gallons on it ran fine till yesterday temp has always been 220 but it started smelling funny from the exhaust and now it wont hold a tune and the temp jumps all over the place. I took it a part and the piston and head are jet black like it is running super fat but it gets to hot. rear bearing feels perfect but the front feels a little funny any help would be great thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t hatcher
i have an os v spec with about two gallons on it ran fine till yesterday temp has always been 220 but it started smelling funny from the exhaust and now it wont hold a tune and the temp jumps all over the place. I took it a part and the piston and head are jet black like it is running super fat but it gets to hot. rear bearing feels perfect but the front feels a little funny any help would be great thanks
if it is that inconsistent, try finiding an air leak around the carb.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Yeah, sounds like an air leak of some sort.

Check the front bearing. If thats not sealing well anymore it can be leaking through there.

How often do you oil/change your air cleaner? After applying oil to it, do you dry off as much oil as possible?
Old 07-22-2007, 07:34 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

vspecs are also known for bearing issue, if your front bearing is not spinning well anymore it is suspect. Leaking can cause issue, or if it is binding the motor up it will cause it to run inconsistent.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Adept

i thought an air leak would make it run lean and this one is super boggy with tons of smoke but the temp keeps climbing. it has great pinch left in it i even tried factory settings and retune with no luck. this is the only one of 3 v specs to do this. its alomost like the more the temps goes up the more smoke it has thanks for help i will try a new front bearing and reseal every thing
Old 07-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If its not an air leak.
check this out.
I noticed this with my speed vspec.
After I got the motor broke in still running fat. (6 tanks of break in on a stand) I loaded the motor into my buggy
and started to put down some slow fat (rich) laps. and was thinking that I would be way under 200f when I temped it with a gun. but I was wrong it was like 250f not sure why but I tossed the temp gun in my box and went on tuning. By the 3rd tank my buggy was crankin some serious rpm and running ballistic missile fast. a small smoke trail good throttle response so i took a temp on the motor for a base line measure. and...... 220F I have no Idea why it would be hot and fat at the same time but it was!

good luck
Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I recently had a similair issue. My engine wasnt running as well as I am used to but the temp was higher than I would have expected. If we leaned it out more it would run OK but the temps were really higher than I would like. What I found was the gasket between pipe and header was leaking. Once fixed my temps dropped and the engine ran stronger. We leaned it out some and it was back to full power.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Tech Adept

when i took the pipe off i noticed that the gasket was tore in between the pipe and header and a piece was hanging down over the inside but i didnt think that would have done it but i will put a new one on thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sorry to go off topic

but i have a question for anyone that may help.

ive had plenty of os engine but my current vspec seems to love to go through plugs...an to be honest i dont know why.ive allways run P3's for plugs my tune is very good,theres no leaks so im thinking maybe my fuel is doing it??? but other people run the same stuff and there plugs last ages, it can go through a plug in like 3 tanks.really messing with my head hahahaha

any advice welcome
cheers
Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

check your head shims and rod tolerance. if the rod is sloppy it will kill glow plugs you can get a new rod for 30.00.

if the rod is in good shape then stick another head shim in there and try that.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You gotta put a bearing about every gallon if you are running japan or OS bearings. Get a double seal novarossi or RB bearing and be done they last significantly longer and dont leak. Most tuning problems are worn out motor or leaking front bearing.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

thanks Kforce,im dissaponited i didnt think of that

cheers bro
Old 07-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

the problem with my motor was my pipe i put a new bearing in the front still the same thing i took off my 2050 and put on my jp3 and it runs perfect again. the pipe shows no signs of damage. anyone else have this kind of problem.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have been having the same problem as others, try to get the engine to run about 250 and it acts super rich. Lean it out a hair, it runs great, BAM!!, 300 degrees. This week I RTV'd up the couplers and I'll test it out next weekend and let you know how it goes.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t hatcher
the problem with my motor was my pipe i put a new bearing in the front still the same thing i took off my 2050 and put on my jp3 and it runs perfect again. the pipe shows no signs of damage. anyone else have this kind of problem.

Needless to say, don't buy a used 2050 from this guy!

Travis, you already know this, but Matt Howard had the exact same problem. Maybe O.S. has figured out a way to engineer a mass failures in old products so you have to go out and buy the new 2060?

Good race today Travis, see you In Evansdale on friday!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.