R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-22-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless
Default HUDY Motor Break-in bench

Searched the forum but can't find another thread on these ....

Just got one and read the instructions ....

Looks a nice piece of kit, but there method of run in sounds hard on the motor ??

Was hoping one of you guys has already used one and can tell me how you got on with it and if there's any tips etc. you can pass on ??

Cheeers

Rod

Oh I''ll be runing in a RB C6BB7T
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:42 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I usually run 2 tanks at a high idle slightly rich. I let the engine cool between tanks with the piston at BDC. I also wrap the cylinder head as I want the engine to at or near operating temperature. 190f min. After that I run two more tanks at a slightly higher speed. Then 2-3 more tanks at even a slightly higher speed. Probably never over 1/4-1/3 throttle. After tanks 3-4 I also stop the engine at let it cool with the piston at BDC. Those final 2-3 tanks I normally refill the fuel tank before the engine stalls. To me, the most important thing is to made sure the engine runs at or near operating temp. Near the end of that last tank I will do a small amount of bench tuning getting it closer to a normal tune. Let it cool again with the piston at BDC. I also like to then turn over the engine by hand to see how tight it feels at TDC. If it has that "gritty" stick at the top, I might run another tank or two. I like the engine to be tight, but not a real gritty feel at TDC.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Is it correct that you cannot run an air filter on the engine when mounted on the hudy bench??
If so i think thats a major design flaw.
damo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to patrick21x

I have ran r/c helis for many years. We never run airfilters on our motors. I thought it was weird at first but after many years and always running $400-$600 motors. I have never had to replace one due to premature wear. I think with that much air circulating while on a break in bench and unless your throwing dirt in the air to simulate racing conditions. The motor should be fine w/ no filter (for the break in purpose)
patrick21x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:05 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
Thumbs up

I break in 2 to 3 motors a week and have never had a problem with needing a filter when using that bench. Just don't break in out in the dust and you will be fine.
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:39 AM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex1 View Post
I break in 2 to 3 motors a week and have never had a problem with needing a filter when using that bench. Just don't break in out in the dust and you will be fine.
TEX
Don't ssposed you'd tell us what the procedure you follow is??
Have you encountered any problems using the bench ??

Cheers

Rod
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tex1
I did find some short commings in the bench design. Being a store leads us down all roads as far as engine mounts and designs.
We changed to a pusher prop instead of the puller prop. It helps the engine build temp better.

I prime the motor with a little fuel in the carb. Open the carb about 1/4 open and set the high needle about 2 3/4 turns out. Fire her up and let her run up to 200 degrees. Use your carb opening to get your temps. Just don't run it a super high RPMs! Leave it running until it gets stable and can come down to a low RPM and maintain its stability. OS and Sportworks motors are about 20 minutes. Nova based stuff takes 30 - 40 minutes. Let the motor go till it loosens up.
Turn it off and let it completely cool. (20 minutes) Now you are ready to harden the mechanically seated parts. Bring it back up to temp. Let it run for a couple of minutes. Take it back to a low RPM and shut it down.
Each time the motor turns off you need to make sure it is BDC (Bottom Dead Center).
Repeat 3 more thermal cycles.
Put it in your car with a mild tune and you should be ready to go after a tank or two.
Always take your motor to BDC after its run.

Hope this helps,
TEX
tex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:39 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

I just got a hudy bench too but I have not open it up yet. I got a break in bench becasue I don't want to wear out the car for 7-8 tanks just to break in the engine. (I hate working on cars)

I used to break in engine on my car
1) idle one tank
2)run fat around the track for 3 tanks
3) vari the throttle while driving for 3 tanks (At WOT, the car does not speed up too much)
4) begin to lean it a little at a time

Let the engine cool off completely btwn runs.

The questions is do I need to vari the throttle while it is on bench? If so, How? keep adj the cab by hand?