R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Losi 8ight T RTR (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/173104-losi-8ight-t-rtr.html)

reddishdsb 07-19-2007 04:23 AM

Losi 8ight T RTR

I have one on the way and just want to know of anything that may be a problem that I need to watch out for, and what sort of hop ups should I do
to make it more durable and faster?

D_o_S 07-19-2007 04:39 AM

Check out www.lstforums.com, there is plenty of info about the 8T over there

Hope this isn't considered advertising, if it is, please remove the post.

R40Victim 07-19-2007 08:12 AM

It should be plenty fast for you right out of the box, the Mach 427 is a pretty powerful motor. If you plan to race, you might want to look into a collection of diff and shock oils, and a better steering servo. Then take that stock steering servo(I believe it's a JR Z590) and put it on the throttle, taking extra care during the installation to make sure your end points are set correctly. You shouldn't need to do anything else to it, just replace what you break with parts from the race kit, and you'll steadily upgrade it. Don't waste $$ on a bunch of hop ups unless you just want them for the "Bling" factor. ;)

r6ryder 07-19-2007 10:10 AM

I got my RTR two weeks ago and after three track sessions I have come to the conclusion that this Truggy rips. The only thing I might change is the steering servo as mentioned above but other than that just drive it and have fun.

R40Victim 07-19-2007 12:07 PM

Did it come with real Diff fluid or grease in the diffs? My little bro is thinking about an 8ight T RTR...

r6ryder 07-19-2007 03:54 PM

yeah the diff came lubed and ready to go.. The only thing u really need is fuel and a battery for the starter wand and you're ready to race (after breakin of course).

therealshark 07-19-2007 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by R40Victim (Post 3500907)
Did it come with real Diff fluid or grease in the diffs? My little bro is thinking about an 8ight T RTR...

my RTR came with grease in the diffs and also different shock pistons, so you may want to check them, and also use heavier shock oils unless you get the proper pistons ( i beleive it has 45wt all the way around stock)
you may also want to check over a few of the screws for tightness.
other than that this truggy is awesome

ColeT 07-19-2007 11:26 PM

it came with greese in the diffs which was pretty messy to change out, the servos were junk so those got changed. The motor has plenty of power for the truck and any track out there. The truck is very high quality and is a very nice ride. I put diff oil in the diffs and left the shocks alone for the first trip out. I put Airtronics 94359 servos on throttle and steering.

For heavy racing the motor mounts need to be changed to low profile mounts and the spin start needs to be taken off and you need a back plate for the motor for use of a starter box.

Another thing that Losi screwd up on to make money was they only put a 2 shoe clutch in the car stock. So you need to go into the motor and put 2 more clutch shoes in it and you will get alot better bite.

Also, on the radio tray be sure to put the servo spacers between the servo and the radio tray to space the servo from the bottom of the chassis. Also be sure to keep the O-Rings under the radio tray on the chassis and keep a little bit of flex on the radio tray. This will save your servos from getting burnt up. (some secrets from the 8ight-B)

just what ive found so far.

Cole

r6ryder 07-20-2007 12:00 PM

For heavy racing the motor mounts need to be changed to low profile mounts and the spin start needs to be taken off and you need a back plate for the motor for use of a starter box.

Cole T,

Sounds like great advice, but I had one question. Why would u recommend the removal of the spin start? Is this system unrpoven or any big drawbacks?

g26er 07-20-2007 01:01 PM

ColeT 07-20-2007 05:46 PM

There is nothing wrong with the spin start. As stated above the starter box is simply a conveinence factor...The spin start is a pain for someone who has been racing for years with bump boxes (such as myself) The motor is a fine mill for anyone wanting to get into the class.

I will post up more information when i get back from racing this saterday night.

Cole

air8 07-20-2007 09:42 PM

Yea, the spin start is great for new nitro drivers. And it is a tough starting system. I had about 8 gallons of fuel on my 8ight before switching to a starter box. Now I don't want to go back to the spin start.

stanky626 07-21-2007 11:12 PM

I just picked up an 8ight T today and can't wait to take her around the track. :) I had to stop the break in process, because I'm sure my neighbors would rather not hear the motor running at 11pm. :eek:

The shock towers seem a little weak... have you guys had any problems there?

reddishdsb 07-22-2007 12:17 PM

What are the major difference between the rtr and the kit?

air8 07-22-2007 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by reddishdsb (Post 3508278)
What are the major difference between the rtr and the kit?

REDDISHSB----Here ya go. Go down to post #502. I have listed this several times in the past and my brain is too tired to do it again. lol

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...114310&page=17