R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Thinking about getting into nitro..

Sorry if this is not whre i should post this...Im new to this site.

Right now I have 2 stampedes and one rustler. Got into the hobbie about a month ago. Really like it.

..But im thinking about getting into nitro soon. I've been looking at the rc10gt2 and some others.

Recently found this http://www.nitrorcx.com/sremotr4dr1s.html
look pretty cool, and cheap too.

Any advice on nitro cars in general, witch cars are good and witch are not. Would be great!

Thanks
-HXCrcBASHING
hxcrcbashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
Tech Adept

well with r/c cars in general not just nitros you get what you pay for. With that said you'd be better off with a known manufactuer like the Associated's rc10gt over the cheapy in the link that you posted ,the cheapy would likely have NO parts available and if they did they'd be available online only. You said you've only been in the hobby a month so i dunno if you've heard of brushless motors and lipo batteries you might check those out before you get into a nitro
vroom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I've been into R/C forever, but just got into nitro this summer (Losi 8). And I would like to reiterate what vroom88 said. Stay away from the brand-x crap. That will turn you off of nitro forever.

And I've done the whole brushless/lipo thing and it's cool and all, but there's just something about the noise and smell of nitro.

It also helps if you're a tinker-er. You'll be less likely to get frustrated when it comes to tuning and setting your car up. The RC10GT2 has a good reputation for being a reliable truck.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Alright, I just have never heard of that truck before...so I just wanted to know what yall thought.

I have looked into the castle creations line of brushless systemes.
But Im sorta stuck in between the too.(nitro&brushless)

Nitro just seems fun to me

One of my friends has a mamba in his pede and he can't even handle it nor get it to top speed, I think it would be to much power for what i want do right now..witch is mainly in my yard&streets.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcrcbashing View Post
Alright, I just have never heard of that truck before...so I just wanted to know what yall thought.

I have looked into the castle creations line of brushless systemes.
But Im sorta stuck in between the too.(nitro&brushless)

Nitro just seems fun to me

One of my friends has a mamba in his pede and he can't even handle it nor get it to top speed, I think it would be to much power for what i want do right now..witch is mainly in my yard&streets.
Since it sounds like you mostly want to just play around in your yard and streets, I'd suggest a nitro sport, nitro rustler or nitro stampede. The layout of the trucks (as well as the radios) are very similar to your electric rusty and stampedes. Check the 'for sale' section of the board for good deals on used cars/trucks (your local Craigslist too). Also, since Traxxas just 'remodeled' these cars/trucks you may be able to find deals on the 'obsolete' versions if you shop around at your local hobby shops and online. Last year I saw some smokin' deals on 'old model' electric rustlers and stampedes for a few months after the XL5 versions came out.

The AE RC10GT (there are some deals still for these as the GT2 came out a few months ago) and GT2 are both great trucks. In my opinion they're better as racers than bashers, although scads of RC10GT Ready Set (the RTR version) trucks have spent their lives bashing around parking lots and baseball fields.

You could always go big and get a Revo, MGT, LST, or Savage as well. More $$$, but again can be bought used.

That brand-X truck you linked to looks suspiciously like a ripoff of one of the CEN trucks. There are ripoffs of CEN, Associated, and Traxxas cars/trucks floating around. I'd stay away from them.
Eccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Eccentric thank you for pointing out craigslist. If i can find a nice revo t-maxx or some thing along those lines for a good price that would be GREAT!

Right now, I'm just looking to get into the sport and learn about the cars.
And when i get older and can drive I would like to start racing at wild bills.(local track)

Im lucky too has forums like this to learn, and get advice on the hobby.

Thank you eveyone, any other advice would be great.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

If you want to get into nitro I would suggest buying new. The last thing you want to do is deal with a beat motor. Make sure you break it in the right way. Like everyone has said, see what your LHS supports or see what is raced at the local track. Local racres will have extra parts for you.

Good luck
Raddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddman View Post
If you want to get into nitro I would suggest buying new. The last thing you want to do is deal with a beat motor. Make sure you break it in the right way. Like everyone has said, see what your LHS supports or see what is raced at the local track. Local racres will have extra parts for you.

Good luck
I agree. I got into the hobby by buying a used Associated NTC3. I wish I bought new, as then I would have been much more careful and actually read the directions. The second day I had it I blew up the motor. However it was my fault completely as I held it in the air and gave it full throttle, watching how cool it was that the little tires ballooned the way they did. I then went to the racetrack to learn the tips and tricks of vehicle and engine car. Try to have the LHS or racers or other bashers help you out for your first engine or 2.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the heads up.
So I just need to buy new..
and the more I think/read about it a t-maxx or revo might be a good choice for me. or some thing along those lines..

what are the pro's and con's about these two trucks?

thanks
HXCrcBASHING
Old 07-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

Personally I dislike both. But only because they are not pure-bread racers. Though the Revo is superior to the T-Maxx. The Maxx series break too easily. The Revo is also a very solid design, IF you stick with the same size engine. Parts for the Revo should be available just about anywhere, but the same could be said for the T-Maxx. The Revo is also one of the latest Monster truck designs. Though it IS a hobby, buy what you think you would be happy with, however its not always fun to invest a ton of dough in a vehicle that breaks too easily. For the price, look into a Cen Matrix RTR, or their truggy. Both are VERY solid designs, handle way better than Monster trucks and can actually take quite a bit more abuse.
rezenclowd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Anyone else have a input on these to trucks? thanks

Old 07-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Well i traded 2 of my stampedes for a t-maxx today.

and it is freaking sweet!!

Two stampedes
One rustler.

:-)