R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to R/C- need help

I just got a mega baja by team losi- Once I have truck start it run frim idle when i gives it some throttle it cuts off. If i hold the throttle in one spot for a few seconds then give it more it will stay started but after driving for a few minutes it shuts down. any help out there for me!
prothercole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothercole View Post
I just got a mega baja by team losi- Once I have truck start it run frim idle when i gives it some throttle it cuts off. If i hold the throttle in one spot for a few seconds then give it more it will stay started but after driving for a few minutes it shuts down. any help out there for me!
Did you break in the engine like it should say in the instructions?
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

yes - had to take it back to hobby store because a couple of screws came loose and ran it there for a while ran good start up ran and didn't die they adjust it like it should be . Got it home with out touching anything and that when it started.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have had stuff like that happen, and am guessing it is just a tune. If I were you I would go back to factory and start over. There is also a thread in here I think it was how to tune a nitro engine or something along that line that can give you some useful tips on how to tune it. I have read alot and tried different ways. the way I do it now is first make sure you have just very little gap for your carb opening ( Idle control screw) then from factory settings try starting it and running it. It will be rich. If it wont even stay running then you may need to lean the top a little at a time till you can at least drive it. I then drive around getting it up to temp. Once at temp I will start adjusting the High end, Then from there I adjust the bottom end. The reason I said the above about the idle control screw is alot of guys will change it alot to compensate for a rich or lean bottom end. As you lean the bottom your idle will go up. Also remember to set the high end first. As when you lean or richen the top end it also affects the bottom end. This is the way I do it and have had decent luck. Oh yeah one other thing once the top is set, (clearing out good at high speeds) and you start to to the bottom alot of guys check this a number of ways, the way I like is stop on the track wait around 5 to 10 seconds then punch it. if it takes off good and smooth with a good amount of smoke your good, if it smokes a bunch and is blubbery lean more, if it takes off like a bat outta hell with very little if any smoke your to lean. or if it cuts out and lean bogs. anyways Hopefully this will help you some. everyone on these sites are helpfull and will help ya out.
Mike Elam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

when it gets going, is thre alot of fuel coming out of the pipe? Not smoke, but raw fuel spitting out? If so, you may be too rich assuming that breakin is done.

I would say you may be very rich. Try giving it throttle very slowly, and see if it kind of trys to spin up.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Yes it smoke but not a lot - I do notice it puts out a lot of oil from pipe and if i give it a little throttle and hold it there for a few seconds and then give it some more throttle it sometime takes off with no problem untill it cits off. thanks everybody for your help i ddo think it's ti rich I just need to get this adjusting thing down
Old 07-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

I would say if you are seeing fuel coming out of the pipe (the oil you describe) that you are running pretty rich. When I try to fire an engine that is running slobbery rich, I sometimes pinch the fuel line to clear out the fuel in the engine that is already there.

I would say lean out the HSN about 1 - 2 hours and try it again. Start there. (HSN - High Speed Needle, Hours referencing a clock )